Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North Race LTD 2010 ?

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: North Race LTD 2010 ?

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 pm

naishdude wrote:I find, North should pay him back his board, for all his efforts! :thumb:
Such a free advertising!
Frank
Ha haa, you are right - maybe I should have talked them into a discount somehow when I bought it 8)

But the thing is, it seemed that it SHOULD work, according to theory and others practical experiences, so I was not in doubt, I took the chance, but with a low risk (as everybody will buy a used raceboard nowadays) :thumb:

And it fully lived up to expextacions !

One thing is "funny" though...

Many dont want to "pay" the same price for a light wind board, as their normal board (eventhough it is more expensive to produce) :wink:

Exactly the same was the issue some years ago with waveboards, as it was just an "extra board" for a few occasional times and to try it out :-?
So noone wanted to pay for those.

Today it is almost reversed - a TT is just a little flat piece of wood (or something), whereas a waveboard is a formed aestetich masterpiece, and has a use out on the sea in the waves every day, for so many :thumb:

:D Peter Frank

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:49 am

Was out for the third time today, just before the sunset and half and hour after.

Wind came over some hills far to windward, and there was chop on the surface today.

Used my 12m2 Takoon Chrono kite, and was perfectly powered, not too much, nor underpowered.

I cut some of the longer upwind legs out of the gps track, as it is confusing with the full track, to show a typical average upwind with a big kite in not perfect conditions, and with the (small) standard fins :

I was really impressed by these "real life" freeride setup upwind angles with medium/small fins, going with speed OR slow (both worked), with a big kite :D

When going on a broad reach speed was about 50km/h (48-51), so not that bad - and I havent even fully adapted to the new board yet.

Going deep downwind was really easy - I was surprised to find how easy it was, and not bumpy nor scary - the nose do not catch anything either, so you can just let it run over the chop waves.

About 60 degree downwind gave me the max vmg downwind today it seemed - but I could easily go 75-80 degree if I wanted to, not quite as fast but not that far from the max (not speed but vmg), working the kite and very relaxed/gentle because of less planing speed.

Jumping gave insane lifts and hangtime in these conditions, so had a good session today, especially good to see how high you point upwind, even in this chop !

Somehow chop and waves dont seem to disturb these wonderboards much - so a pleasure.

The reason why the raceboard twintips died almost 2 years ago (bigger fins, longer tt's specially for racing), was because they did not work in chop at all, only if the water was really flat - where the directionals can master both upwind and downwind in chop so the windrange is a huge margin bigger both the low end, but especially the high end in fact, because of this.
So on flat water the tt's were faster downwind, but slower upwind, and only worked well in flat conditions - so no future here.

I am really stoked about the possibilities with this board (and these kind of boards), for light wind and touring.

Havent even tried the low end yet really, but as it can only be better than the 2009, which were excellent - I see a fun and exciting spring and summer coming up - if the weather is awesome and it is hot, but low winds - and then you can still ride if you want to, jump, or take on surf safaris with other raceboard kitesurfers !

At first a board like this might feel big and clumsy, and to some extent it is.

BUT, as it is very freeride orientated in size and design and fin size - it is really a great overall raceboard board for "anything", especially when you get more hours on these.

It seems that a lot of brands are experimenting with raceboards, but has held back because of the "being behind the fast development rate", which is very understandable 8)

But I can see a freeride raceboard market in fact - for example me as a "non-racer", as I hate just cruising, or just going fast, or just going fourth and back, but still find great fun and possibilities in the freeride raceboard for light wind especially :thumb:

Peter :thumb:

PS: I am using the GT31 doppler GPS as someone asked about earlier in this thread.

catamarum
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby catamarum » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:32 pm

What give the fin an angle? The fin itself has an angle or box of the fin has an angle on it?

I just wonder because in the Stephanie's video, she said about the fins angle in the range of 5° to 8° but the North Race Ltda is 10°. Is it adjustable?

Thanks,

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'

Postby Wawando » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:59 pm

catamarum wrote:What give the fin an angle? The fin itself has an angle or box of the fin has an angle on it?

I just wonder because in the Stephanie's video, she said about the fins angle in the range of 5° to 8° but the North Race Ltda is 10°. Is it adjustable?

Thanks,
Boxes are straight, it is the fins are angled. i.e: If you put straight fins, they fit straight.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:22 pm

Wawando wrote:
catamarum wrote:What give the fin an angle? The fin itself has an angle or box of the fin has an angle on it?

Thanks,
Boxes are straight, it is the fins are angled. i.e: If you put straight fins, they fit straight.
Exactly - I was a bit surprised over this too - but good, as then you can get "whatever" fin set you want, for your board, no matter what board you got :thumb:

Am I the only one to be surprised over the amazing big angle to the wind for a freeride raceboard ?

Compared to a waveboard, even with big fins, it is a huge amount better.

Kindly, Peter Frank

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:49 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wawando wrote:

Thanks,
Exactly - I was a bit surprised over this too - but good, as then you can get "whatever" fin set you want, for your board, no matter what board you got :thumb:

Am I the only one to be surprised over the amazing big angle to the wind for a freeride raceboard ?

Compared to a waveboard, even with big fins, it is a huge amount better.

Kindly, Peter Frank
Now you made my day again, and give me every reason to buy a lightwind directional, that is affordable,
Frank :thumb: :thumb:

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:51 pm

From what I have read, they tend to rail the board more in stronger wind and choppier seas, and sail the board flatter in the lighter conditions. I think the fins used have less cant for sailing the board flat and more canted when the board has to be railed more?

Peter, you said the board sailed upwind about the same angle going fast or slow? Did you notice much apparent wind seeming to give you more power, or does the board not get a benefit from going faster?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:10 am

ronnie wrote:From what I have read, they tend to rail the board more in stronger wind and choppier seas, and sail the board flatter in the lighter conditions. I think the fins used have less cant for sailing the board flat and more canted when the board has to be railed more?

Peter, you said the board sailed upwind about the same angle going fast or slow? Did you notice much apparent wind seeming to give you more power, or does the board not get a benefit from going faster?
This was not on the planing "limit" - so yes, could go both fast or slow as I wanted to !

But on the planing limit, apparent wind and speed is the key to going at all, so both speed and upwind ability is the key to being able to sail at all here :thumb:

8) Peter

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'

Postby Wawando » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:40 am

Peter_Frank wrote:...

Compared to a waveboard, even with big fins, it is a huge amount better....
The angles (upwind and downwind) look pretty good :thumb: i am here trying to find one of my formula gps maps, but can't find them.
It is not easy to find one on the web... Do you have some?
It would be nice to compare.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:30 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
ronnie wrote:From what I have read, they tend to rail the board more in stronger wind and choppier seas, and sail the board flatter in the lighter conditions. I think the fins used have less cant for sailing the board flat and more canted when the board has to be railed more?

This was not on the planing "limit" - so yes, could go both fast or slow as I wanted to !

But on the planing limit, apparent wind and speed is the key to going at all, so both speed and upwind ability is the key to being able to sail at all here :thumb:

8) Peter
Thanks for all the info on the boards versatility Peter. All we need now is some feedback in light winds ( when you get the opportunity ), which I expect it to excel at.

Return to “Kitesurfing”