poools81
Frequent Poster
Gear: ozone 13m and 9m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiting around naples florida

Postby poools81 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:24 pm

Hey guys looking into buying something around the naples area was just wondering what kind of spots there are in that area. Thanks...... Also what time of year is the best down there?

Safe_Cracker
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Kiting around naples florida

Postby Safe_Cracker » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:37 pm

:

Looksy here > http://fksa.org/

JumpinJoe
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ft Myers Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ft myers Beach - Lanark St
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Kites- Flexifoil Hadlow Pro - Fuel
Board- Aggression - RRD
Mystic
Brand Affiliation: Getkiteboarding.com

Postby JumpinJoe » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:45 pm

I am guessing you mean your looking to buy a home here and you want to know when the best time of year for kiting is.

Well Its really good from January till the end of May. Last year I rode at least 28 days a month during that time last year. You have to drive sometimes but living here is the best spot to hit all the spots easy and still have a good life style. We do go to the keys a bunch and hit the east coast sometimes too.

In the spring we get a great sea breeze that lets us ride almost every night. This is due to the everglades and the gulf temp's changing. We have some really good spots around here with some really flat water spots and some good waves. We also have all wind directions covered also unlike other areas in Florida.

If you make it here just PM me and I will help you more.

poools81
Frequent Poster

Postby poools81 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:58 pm

great thanks alot guys. Yeh me and three buddies were thinking about buying a house down in naples becasue it is so cheap right now!!! Can't afford anything in new york so we figured we would chip and get something down there. I would be staying in new york most of the year but definetly staying down there the months of january and february.

JumpinJoe
Frequent Poster
Board- Aggression - RRD
Mystic

Postby JumpinJoe » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:09 pm

poools81 wrote:great thanks alot guys. Yeh me and three buddies were thinking about buying a house down in naples becasue it is so cheap right now!!! Can't afford anything in new york so we figured we would chip and get something down there. I would be staying in new york most of the year but definetly staying down there the months of january and february.
Februray is by far the best month and we normally get NW winds then so its a side on shore and is kick ass for sure :thumb:

Due to the type of area this is we do get a lot of seasonal kiters here and most come every year so all the locals get to know them and they all seem to fit in well.

poools81
Frequent Poster

Postby poools81 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:55 pm

Sweeeeet. Thx for the info hopefully things will work out i would love to get out of this cold ass place in the winter!!!! Thx for the help if you are every in Ny long island area hit me up I will show you around as well....

knuthansen
Medium Poster

Postby knuthansen » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:59 am

I am currently on vacation in Naples..
Tiger Tail on Marco Island looks nice, covers different wind directions as well. As I heard, loclas often go to either 7th or 18th street by Naples Pier to kite.
Friday is supposed to be windy!

JumpinJoe
Frequent Poster
Board- Aggression - RRD
Mystic

Postby JumpinJoe » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:21 am

knuthansen wrote:I am currently on vacation in Naples..
Tiger Tail on Marco Island looks nice, covers different wind directions as well. As I heard, loclas often go to either 7th or 18th street by Naples Pier to kite.
Friday is supposed to be windy!
Yup you got the spot! There is a race this Saturday that will end just north of 7th it starts on Ft Myers Beach at Junkanoo if you get there real early you can join in it costs $35 to race.

A good week to be here looks like some good wind till Sunday :thumb:

knuthansen
Medium Poster

Postby knuthansen » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:48 pm

Yeah looks like I caught some windy days! I am just worried about the thunderstorms predicted for Friday..
I imagine that due to the high humidity, quite severe weather can build in a short time period. Even if a thunderstorm is some miles away, there are lots of stories about kites catching static energy and releasing it when you jump, so sparks come out of the board. Not keen to have an experience like that! :o
So just wondering how you guys handle those situations when lightning is predicted and it is cloudy or dark clouds are approaching, do you ride until the last minute, not kite at all, wait for the sparks coming out of the board etc. :wink:
Yesterday I saw lighting without thunder coming from some white clouds, so after all I don't want to risk anything!

JumpinJoe
Frequent Poster
Board- Aggression - RRD
Mystic

Postby JumpinJoe » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:45 pm

Sparks!! thats a good one I have never heard of that before :lol: I have heard of people getting a shock.

A good question if your not sure of the area and how our storms work. What has worked for us is just keep and eye on the sky and and an eye on the water. Look for big wind lines coming at you that look much more then just a normal gust. Normally or stroms are fronts and you can't miss them coming. We have no hills so they won't creap up on you.

I most of the issues that have happened here are due to people waiting to long to put there kites down.

I think Friday is going to hit and miss due to the storms that are forcasted. Also this time of year we see much less lightning then the summer time.

Hope you do get some good riding in!

Return to “Kitesurfing”