Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Lightwind Kiting!

Forum for kitesurfers
alex a
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Beaches on Maui like Kanaha, Hookipa, Lanes, etc.
Favorite Beaches: Hookipa
Kanaha
La Ventana
Most beaches in Florida
Style: all kinds
Gear: Aguera Boards
Cabrinha Kites
Brand Affiliation: Aguera
Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Lightwind Kiting!

Postby alex a » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:40 pm

Hi Everyone,
Here is a video my friend Merwin Peters took at our stay in La Ventana last month. I just wanted to let everyone see how fast you can go now in really light wind. We have had many really light wind days here in Maui this winter and the only guys moving are guys on these type of courseracing boards. But you don't have to be a racer to have fun in light wind! These boards get you out on those days when you can't really kite on your surf board ( and no way on a twin tip). I'm talking 6-10 knot of wind...
You create horsepower off of these big fins and then start getting allot of apparent wind once moving. It feels like there is 15 knots of wind, when there might only be 8!
Be aware though that you can get moving in such light winds that you do not want to drop your kite. You might not be able to relaunch it, that is how light of conditions you can kite in!

Also checkout the riding style of keeping the board flat like a windsurfer to really get moving.

Carlos_C
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southend, Lancing, Hunstanton, sea Palling
Gear: Fuels, Speed 4, Sonic 2
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Lightwind Kiting!

Postby Carlos_C » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:41 pm

I never knew that captain Kirk was a kitesurfer

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:36 am

Arn't those whitecaps out on the water.....

Whitecaps in 6 knots.....?

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:05 pm

I'm sure the board does work well in 6 knots. It maybe was 6 knots at times that day, but it does look slightly higher in the video, judging by the palm trees.

I remember Alex Aguera from back in the days when he ruled at Hookipa. Should be a good mix with him, Bruno and the other Cabrinha guys.

The board doesn't look to me like it has enough dome at the footstraps for comfort when riding it flat. I would like to know why its built lke that. Certainly for a production board for light wind freeride, comfort is going to be a factor. I'm guessing the 59 is the width in cm?

The kite relaunch is going to be a big factor for light wind kiting, but I dont think Racing is going to be interested in a kite designed to relaunch in less than 6 knots, so it may need to be a seperate project from the racing.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:28 pm

I would call those things ripples.
You get them like that especially when the tide is falling,
on that kind of body of water, usually in 8 knots.
Many times I have seen them and been thinking,
"oh look, maybe it's 12 out there I'll try it,"
but had a hard time even launching sometimes....
That board looks like it has a really slappy ride, though,
for recreational use some good pads might be in order....

kakanala
Frequent Poster

Postby kakanala » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:51 pm

Mr. Aguera is right, course racing boards are a hell of fun in light winds. And once you get skilled, also in high winds!

Here I am, riding in mirror-like water. I am 185 lb. This is true 6 knots weather.

NJS course racing board + Ozone Zephyr: killer combo!!!!!!!

Try to find any ripples :wink:

catamarum
Rare Poster

Postby catamarum » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:18 pm

Alex,

Very impressive board, what is the height of the board on the video and what is the behavior on the chop water?

Thanks,

Ian
Medium Poster
Gear: Luxe Surf

Postby Ian » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:12 am

Al-

Ill have my new board done in the middle of next week. Lets go!

Ian

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:40 pm

alex a wrote:Hi Everyone,
You create horsepower off of these big fins and then start getting allot of apparent wind once moving. It feels like there is 15 knots of wind, when there might only be 8!
Be aware though that you can get moving in such light winds that you do not want to drop your kite. You might not be able to relaunch it, that is how light of conditions you can kite in!
Hi Alex,
Foil kites also provide lots of apparent wind, so I believe a Speed-like kite would be the prefect complement to your board. Furthermore, they do relaunch in light wind!
A couple of questions:
How easy to gibe are these race boards?
Any particular reason for the fins being perpendicular to the board as opposed to the more commonly seen canted ones?
I want one anyway! Can you get me one to Thailand ?
Or...how about coming to the first PKRA event this year 14th-20th March, and the first in Thailand, to demonstrate your board ? There will be a racing event. :winner1:
:bye:
Alex

alex a
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Beaches on Maui like Kanaha, Hookipa, Lanes, etc.
Favorite Beaches: Hookipa
Kanaha
La Ventana
Most beaches in Florida
Style: all kinds
Gear: Aguera Boards
Cabrinha Kites
Brand Affiliation: Aguera
Cabrinha

Postby alex a » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:58 pm

Hi Everyone,
Yes Alexrider , I might be able to air freight a board out of the factory at Vietnam (same as Jimmy Lewis Factory) to Thailand. I am not sure if I can get it there for the race (Chinese New Year) but might be possible! alex@alexaguera.com

For all of you asking about the 6 knots, look at the water when I said it was 6 knots (no white caps)! By the time I got in the water, there were some whitecaps and I got pretty powered up on a 13m Crossbow, I am guessing it was around 8-12 knots steady!

Ian, got your board ready? Call me, Today might be good.. I went blasting around yesterday after some fun kitesurfing at Lowers on my JL surfboard. Had an 11m on and was overpowered on the raceboard! I thought the wind was dying but the wind picked up when I switched boards, ain't that always the case...I have to work on my tacks and jibes so I can look like a real racer, it ain't as easy as the Pros make it look!!.
Alex

Return to “Kitesurfing”