Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Drysuits more hassle then they are worth

Postby pbmaniac27 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:50 pm

Sup All
Felt like sharing my experience with drysuits a bit

Last year I bought a $700 drysuit that was meant for kitesurfing and after having owned it for a while I am under the impression that drysuits really are more hassle than the huge price is worth.

I have absolutely babied my drysuit after every session. Washed off suit, made sure to rinse seals, cleaned and waxed zipper, always folded it right and now after less than 10 sessions my suit is out of commission with a torn seal which will cost me $50 to fix myself.

Originally the suit was almost impossible to get off by myself and still is a struggle (yes i know about the rolling up technique). In addition during crashes water gets forced under the seals leaving me still warm but wet, with ballooned pant legs. Seem kinda against the point of having a drysuit.

I understand for those of you trying to ride in the truly hardcore conditions, air temps below freezing and water temps just around freezing, that drysuits are pretty much the only choice, but for people just trying to jump start their season I feel like you are better off with a wetsuit.

I also feel that if you are pushing it and taking some high speed crashes you are much better off with a wetsuit.

Thoughts?

PS i guess i am bummed that my $700 suit is broken is broken but just wanted to raise some points people can think about when deciding between wet and dry suits.

fishy
Frequent Poster

Re: Drysuits more hassle then they are worth

Postby fishy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:22 pm

I understand what you mean. I had OR Pyro, great suit really, and well designed, apart from the rear zip - I used to hook a bit of string round my wing mirror to get it on myself!

But I do personally find them quite restrictive to move and swim in, and difficult to body drag in, but definitely slightly warmer, especially with a diving thermal undersuit on, and nicer when you take it off at the end of the session.

I kite all year round in the UK, but honestly don't think you need one, I got a 5/3 steamer (O'Neill Heat) and with a thermal rashy, boots, gloves, hood etc, there isn't much difference to the drysuit, and is certainly more flexible and practical, and a lot more durable. Wetsuits are easier to mend as well. I've got perished seals on my Pyro but haven't got round to mending them, as I haven't used the drysuit for a couple of seasons now.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:50 pm

It seems very very different for different people I guess... :roll:

I use my drysuit for about 50-100 sessions a year, for many years the same suit often.
(have bought a new one this winter though, lovely)

Dont take much care regarding rinsing or cleaning or anything, just leave it in the car, or sometimes take it inside to dry up a bit - thats it 8)

When out as often as I am, I dont want to use extra time for "babying" my suit (the same goes for wetsuits) :naughty:

I dont like the latex gaskets though, so havent been using these at all the last many years, but only the neoprene gaskets and sometimes latex socks - but this is simply personal taste I assume (and you have to be more carefull with the latex)

The reason we use drysuits here, is not to cope with "extreme" conditions.

It is because a drysuit is so much more comfortable regarding changing and wearing, and faster to get in and out compared to a winter wetsuit - and it feels very light and free when on the water.
Combined with the option to change earlier - and you can walk around for as long as you want on the shore/beach without getting cold, taking breaks, rigging another kite etc (NOT possible with any winter wetsuit - here you have to be quick in and out and change back to normal clothing again - but this will work fine too of course).

We are so experienced with drysuits after many years, so the choice of drysuits is not because it is warmer when out on the water - but for many other reasons as stated above.

That being said - it is lovely to get back into a wetsuit again too, for other reasons (no bulkiness at all he hee), even though many disadvantages.

Just like the changing seasons maybe - it always feels good with a change, no matter how good the "present" is :naughty:

So no, here we can not reckognize your bad experiences with the drysuit... :wink:

But we have lots of both good and bad experiences about many details we can share, but maybe not what this topic is about, right ?

Most of us, out a lot and often, has eliminated the two problems you guys mention, by choosing front metal zippers, and neoprene gaskets 8)

But many others have no problems with these, depending on use and personal knowledge/care of course. As latex will be more dry, true.

Kindly, Peter Frank

icebird
Frequent Poster

Postby icebird » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:23 pm

I agree with PF

I have only had my drysuit for about 10 sessions so can't speak of any long term issues. But I can say that many rather hard crashes head first has not let in any water at all. Latex neck seal cut carefully to be tight but not too constricting, and a hood covering the seal. Likewise gloves covering the wrist seals. I suppose this helps a lot in preventing leaking seals. I use 303 protectant occasionally for longevity of the seals. I also had a crash dragging the suit along the sand bottom after failing a jump on too shallow water - not a scratch to the suit.

update: I should perhaps add that I have socks in the drysuit. With a wetsuit, booties and ankle velcro straps I still manage to force a lot of water into the legs on hard crashes, so I could well imagine this could be a problem with drysuits that have ankle seals.
Last edited by icebird on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bluerocketboy
Medium Poster
Style: wakestyle

Postby bluerocketboy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:49 pm

yeah getting a drysuit was the best thing i've done in ages, no more getting cold, quick on and off.
I only use the drysit when its cold enough to need boots and gloves so that stops any leaking at the seals. above 10 degrees c i'll use a wetsuit. i've also found being so toasty i've been trying more stuff in the winter, a great result. i also have a drysuit with a front zip so i can easily get in and out.
as a added bonus my knees don't seem to hurt in the winter any more, it might not be related but i think having your joints and muscles really warm helps with not getting injured

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:03 am

I've seen a dry suit with a double seal which stops the water coming into the drysuit on hard falls. I get minimal spray through on my mystic drysuit but I haven't been going hard for the last year because I had a shoulder op in Feb and I didn't want to make things worse. The fact that I wear bindings solved the foot seal problems because the bottom of the drysuit went into the top of the bindings, but I would feel that booties would have a similar effect. Doesn't help with the neck spray of course but the hands could be solved with gloves.

I think its a compromise you make, staying warm for minor leakage on hard falls. I don't mind a little leakage, I've got the fleecy suit underneath so if it gets a little wet, its getting washed afterwards anyway and I have warm clothes in the car.

Oddly enough, I've never had major issues getting the drysuit on or off, other than having someone do the rear zipper and there are always people around to help me with it so its not a train smash.

m_glover
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pensacola Beach
Style: Surf
Gear: Boards: 5'3" and 5'8" Underground Kipuna Freewaves, Underground Fish, Airush Sector 52

Kites: Airush Ones, Airush Lithiums
Brand Affiliation: kiteboardcafe.com
Underground and Airush Dealer

Postby m_glover » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:27 am

A recent blog post I made about drysuits:http://www.kiteboardcafe.com/node/449

Meagan

knuthansen
Medium Poster

Postby knuthansen » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:30 am

So is it generally easier to get in and out of a drysuit, or does it depend on if it is neoprene/latex seals and how tight they fit?
Because that's the worst part about kiting in winter with a wetsuit, getting out of the thing in 10° with windchill.

pbmaniac27
Frequent Poster

Postby pbmaniac27 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:36 am

obviously different experiences for everyone

I ride bindings too and still have problems with the ankle seals

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Style: New School
Gear: Fone
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide

Postby PBKiteboarding » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:23 am

The Gul Astro has a double ankle Seal...
Easy on and off.
Really helps to keep water out.
Most of the water force hits there over and over.
We're liking it. Very comfy and Breathable too.
Easy diagonal zip to take a leak without having to take
the top of the suit of.... more pros too...
The water is super cold sure does help...

Ocean Rodeos are cool like the new tight fit predator some want..
Great longer sessions in more comfort.

The New 2010 Pyro Pro is Breathable now.
Last edited by PBKiteboarding on Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”