Rare Poster
Local Beach: sola
Favorite Beaches: sola
Style: freestyle, waves and race
Gear: ozone
Brand Affiliation: ozone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2010 Corpus Worlds training up-date...

Postby k_schibevaag » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:43 pm

I dont see it really professional if the race is up now. Then I see PKRA much better and more Professional with giving the race to the riders all on the same time.. sorry Adam.. :) and also In PKRA there is different races every day.

more fear for the riders :) and better :D

PeterP
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: Sales Manager Airush Kiteboarding

Postby PeterP » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:43 pm

How refreshing to see posters using their own names for a change - may be the course-racers will be the ones creating a useful section of this forum.

Kari, I agree with you - having a fresh course set on the day means riders have to think on their feet as opposed to giving the guys who can train weeks in advance a huge advantage.

Kite-racing is hugely down to boardspeed so to have a little tactical "unknown" thrown in adds to the cocktail.

Olaf V T has been running our series down here in CT and the most fun has been had on days with different wind-direction or different course as the guys who relied on what they knew were forced to work it out quick-time.

Keep up the great reporting - all eyes are on you guys - best of luck to all competitors!

ask
Rare Poster
Style: Course Racing
Brand Affiliation: Team Fluid

Postby ask » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:27 pm

I'm looking out over the marina from the Omni hotel at the race course. I think Nils has chosen a great place to hold the worlds. The conditions and sea state should provide an excellent test of skill, strength and balls. The downwind runs in the chop are going to be exciting to say the least.

The past few days have given me new respect for how fast we can go downwind. I'm thinking of going back to motocross racing to toughen up for the Corpus chop.

Looking forward to another great day of training.

Cheers,
Andrew Koch
TEAM-FLUID_AK_2745.jpg
TEAM-FLUID_AK_2855.jpg

vegasrider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Brand Affiliation: North

Postby vegasrider » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:45 pm

pow, that looks like a lot of airtime...

I prefer to stay at my flatwater spot :)

HenrikBaerentzen
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Holbaek
Style: Race and Speed
Gear: Race
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby HenrikBaerentzen » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:55 pm

AdamKoch wrote:
Toby wrote:true, looking forward to that world championship.

Bruno was unreachable in Thailand...let's see what the US guys can do.

Trust me.... Everyone is beatable. Especially if they run a real course race... I'm still waiting for someone to tell me the courses they ran in Thailand??? Can anyone out there please clarify that? That's why I was not there... I would never spend that much money traveling to a regatta where they make up a course at the skippers meeting.... That's very unprofessional from my persective.

Don't get me wrong Bruno can kick butt.

Yeeehaaa from texass

AK
Race from PKRA Thailand in GPS Action Replay here:

http://www.den-195.dk/Gpslogs.html
Last edited by HenrikBaerentzen on Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sean Farley
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mexico
Gear: North, Dakine
Brand Affiliation: team rider

Postby Sean Farley » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:52 am

An uncommon day today at Corpus Christi with the drizzly skies, but very common in that it´s windy no matter what!
It´s great to see more riders showing up each day. Adam Koch has been here for over a week, his brother Andrew in company of their father flew in quite a few days ago, Don Yoakum has been out in the water since yesterday, and Andoni Urrutia showed up at the beach today as the first european to show up for the worlds.
It´s funny to think that some kiters think it´s cheating or "not fare" that we are here, training. It reminds me of the random unhealthy/fat persons looking over to someone who is in great shape and saying: "ooh, but s/he exercises and eats well...not fare"
Adam isn´t a health freak, but he´s sure a training freak!
Yes, we even have a weather mark out in the water so that when we choose to, we can "practice" a race. It is not in the exact position where it´ll be during the racing. It should actually be much further offshore but since the spider-man buoy is so small, we´ve kept it somewhat close to shore for reference.
There´s not many different kinds of courses that a yacht club will ever set up. Much different than the PKRA, who as a "kiteboarding show" is always trying to get the racing close to the beach for the spectators, in hopes that they can watch the carnage.
Different kinds of racing, and I´m pretty sure we will see the emergence of slalom on the world tour events, whereas course racing will be left off as an upwind/downwind sailing game of chess.
I encourage anyone interested to sign up and show up to dial in to the local conditions ASAP. Adam has been sleeping in the back of his pickup, and Nils is offering exceptional rates at the OMNI hotel to those who have shown up early.
No excuses.
Sean Farley

PeterP
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: Sales Manager Airush Kiteboarding

Postby PeterP » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:37 am

Sean I think you missed my point - there is nothing unfair or wrong with rocking up weeks in advance and training your guts out - on the contrary. Kudos to you guys for putting in the hours and being prepared.

Perhaps I misundertood Adams post where it seemed like you were able to practice on the actual championship course - my bad if I misunderstood this.

I still feel there would be an advantage for local riders if course is laid out beforehand as it enables riders to find landmarks for laylines etc in different wind conditions.

Perhaps it's like comparing rallying to circuit racing - each have their differences and each have their own merits and each will have their own following.

It would be nice though if the US crowd would grace the PKRA tour as one thing is a single event World Champion and another thing is a series World Champion - currently we are fortunate to have both on offer.

Good luck with training and racing!

AdamKoch
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Where I'm at... At the time I guess?
Favorite Beaches: Where there is wind and I happen to be.
Style: You tell me?
Gear: Ozone Edge, Aguera CR custom, Da Kine accessories, Team Fluid fins

Postby AdamKoch » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:47 pm

Race from PKRA Thailand in GPS Action Replay here:

http://www.den-195.dk/Gpslogs.html[/quote]

I'm sorry my mac will not pull this up... can you keep this simple and just tell me what the course/courses where? Seems no one can answer this basic question?

best intentions here,

AK

HenrikBaerentzen
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Holbaek
Style: Race and Speed
Gear: Race
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby HenrikBaerentzen » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:02 pm

One of the races

vegasrider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Brand Affiliation: North

Postby vegasrider » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:15 pm

Race 1 seems to be a triangle clockwise
Race 2 as well
Race 3 triangle counterclockwise
Race 4 as well
Race 5 as well
Race 6 as well
Race 7 seems to be a windward leeward with an upwind finish on the beach
Race 8 as well
Race 9 as well
Race 10 as well

The start line seems to be not too accurate to the wind.

Return to “Kitesurfing”