kidsan
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cabarete
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Contact lenses and watersports

Postby kidsan » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:35 pm

My opticians have advised me to always dispose of my lenses after getting them wet. i.e. that i need to use dailies.

The reason for this, i was told, is that there is a bacteria present in all water which, if introduced to your contact lenses, can lead to a nasty eye infection.

So, have any other lens-wearers heard of this before. They seemed very sure of this and i do rate them as serious opticians but i have never heard of anyone else saying the same thing.

Any other experiences of this?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: Contact lenses and watersports

Postby Laughingman » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:46 pm

kidsan wrote:My opticians have advised me to always dispose of my lenses after getting them wet. i.e. that i need to use dailies.

The reason for this, i was told, is that there is a bacteria present in all water which, if introduced to your contact lenses, can lead to a nasty eye infection.

So, have any other lens-wearers heard of this before. They seemed very sure of this and i do rate them as serious opticians but i have never heard of anyone else saying the same thing.

Any other experiences of this?
I have been wearing contact lenses for 20 years. never once have I thrown away my contacts after being exposed to ocean or lake water. I do wear monthly wear lenses but I usually stretch that out to two months before I replace them. I also take them out every night and disinfect them. The only time my contacts have been replaced after I have been in the water is when they have been lost while crashing. I always have spare in the car so I can drive home....
I have considered lazik but for the cost of that I could buy 3 new kites.....

Mr Danger
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: I shape my own

Postby Mr Danger » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:52 pm

I wear lenses for over 20 years...daylies for the last 15 or so. I kite and wakeboard for 10 years and never ever had probs of any kind. If you get water in your eyes (salt is not so much fun but you can stand it) dont take the lenses out within halve an hour or so. Cause they will stick to your eyes and that might damage them by trying to take them out. You can use eyedrops for lenses to weten them and then get them out or just wait.
But unless you kite in a sewage pool or something its no prob.
I throw mine away after a longer kitesession anyway and wear glases just to relax them. Eyes will thank you for it...

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:06 pm

I had a nasty eye infection during a kite holiday...not nice to kite with one eye!

Now I use Dailies only...if you loose one (rarely), it does not matter...

And no problems with infections.

Even if it cost a bit more, use them, something less to worry about!

Mr Danger
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: I shape my own

Postby Mr Danger » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:09 pm

...forgott.
I loose at least one lense every 5 sessions. $ 2,- is not that bad realy...

Hybridkiter
Medium Poster

Postby Hybridkiter » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:50 pm

Between water polo, river rafting, kayaking, windsurfing, and kiteboarding I have been wearing contacts in the water for 35 years. I always buy extended wear, but NEVER sleep in them. I take them out every night and disinfect. Not only is that better for your eye tissue, but extended contacts designed to last a couple of weeks, are good for 2-3 months.

Sounds like your Doc is being way overboard on caution to me.

Disinfect every evening.

sleepymexi
Medium Poster

Postby sleepymexi » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:59 pm

I've worn contact lenses the entire time I've been kiting, and aside from losing 3 of 'em when crashing, I've never had any eye infections or irritations. Just be sure to pull them out disinfect them overnight every night and you should be ok. Getting some glasses/goggles will help you keep from getting them splashed out of your eye.

I wear contacts that are meant to be switched out monthly and I usually keep them for two months. I always take a few spare sets with me just in case I lose one or two of them.

edit: I kite in salt and fresh water, btw.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:49 pm

Same here >15 years windsurfing and kiting often in real SHIT wearing month lenses and using them for 2 months never had a problem I wash them well every night.

I did have skin problems a couple of times and been to hospital once from water SHIT poisoning --- OOOoooo I hate dirty water :evil:

snobdr
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Atlantic City

Postby snobdr » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:05 pm

I ended up ditching the lenses. I have a nasty habbit of blinking them out. A small splash of water and out they come. Had the same problem snowkiting. Even with goggles on i would blink at least one out in a matter of minutes. Ended up going with glasses and croakies.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:07 pm

kidsan wrote:
true. In fact you are NEVER supposed to swim with contact lenses, you are never supposed to play water sports in contact lenses and in fact, talk to your optician, you are not even supposed to shower with the contact lenses because bacteria gets in your eye.

think about it. You have a great 6 hour session on the water, all that time bacteria gets in your eye and under your contacts, by the time your session is done you already put yourself at risk.

Also dont eat undercooked eggs, and always wear a helmet. Always. And put on that sunscreen. Are you listening?

They are right you can get an eye infection, but what you supposed to do wear glasses?

Return to “Kitesurfing”