Forum for kitesurfers
scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Contact lenses and watersports

Postby scklandl » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:57 pm

Go with the dailys, cheaper when you lose one, less risk of infection and corneal abrasions and it offers a easy way to count the number of sessions you've had on the water.

huge
Medium Poster

Postby huge » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:13 pm

I find that in salt water my contacts have a higher tendency to be washed away then in fresh water. Seems like fresh water sticks the lens on my eyes as opposed to salt water which makes them more slippery...

is it just me or some of you have notice the same thing ? anyone can explain that ?

I wear bausch and lomb monthly throwaways

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:23 pm

scklandl wrote:Go with the dailys, cheaper when you lose one, less risk of infection and corneal abrasions and it offers a easy way to count the number of sessions you've had on the water.

How does wearing daily's offer an easy way to count sessions?

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:47 pm

I dont wear lenses to windsurf, but do when kitesurfing, so I can see lines, knots etc.

I use dailies and put them in before a session and take them out after. Wear glasses on the way home. I find that in fresh water, lenses come out easily, but in salt water, after a few minutes, they are unlikely to get washed out.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:10 pm

Don't worry about it. Worse case scenario, sure, it is possible to get an infection. In reality, it probably won't happen.

If you are concerned, go with the dailies but don't stress about it. I wear the two week disposables as others have mentioned. I take them out at night and if I occasionally lose one it isn't a big deal.

I had one kite related eye infection when a splotch of nasty looking seaweed (in warm bacteria filled water) got stuck behind my eye. Gross. Didn't have anything to do with contacts but it did go away on its own after a week.

You should really kite in one of these things to make sure you don't get splashed or bump yourself on anything. This is what my doctor recommends. He is one of the best...

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:18 am

I used soft contact lenses before daily and monthly lenses appeared. I used them heaps and never had any problems. Heaps of surfing and swimming with eyes open under water.

15 years ago I had PRK laser eye surgery. Best thing I ever did. Knowing how good it is now I would happily pay 5-10 times the price.

kidsan
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cabarete
Been thanked: 0

Postby kidsan » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:37 pm

Ok guys, thanks for all your replies. It seems that although there is some risk of eye infections through wearing lenses for watersports, these seem to be pretty negligible and so i shall probably just use my bi-weekly lenses (which i normally wear for 3-4 weeks!) for kiting.

Kosh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 9m2
Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 13m2
Cabrinha Imperial 2008 128 board
Brand Affiliation: Promotes Cabrinha for the national distributor.

Postby Kosh » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:51 am

Just came back from two weeks at Prasonisi, Rhodes/Greece. Status after using daily contact lenses and seaspec glasses: Lost one lense in twelve days of kiting.

ron burgundy
Rare Poster

Postby ron burgundy » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:17 am

Your optician is referring to a condition called acanthamoeba keratitis. Swimming in freshwater lakes while wearing contact lenses places you at risk for this infection. Acanthamoeba infections are extremely difficult to treat and often result in permanent corneal scarring and vision loss. Some cases require corneal transplantation. This is not pink eye and it will not go away with antibiotic drops.

Your optician is absolutely correct that you should dispose of your contact lenses after spending time in the water. As an eye surgeon I have seen the outcomes of this infection and they are unfortunate to say the least. If you're a watersports addict and spend your time in freshwater lakes, at minimum you should dispose of your contact lenses after being in the water. This reduces but does not eliminate the risk. Prescription water shades are a better option and laser vision correction is probably the best option, if you're a candidate.

As a general comment, I'd recommend getting healthcare advice from healthcare professionals rather than kiteforum.

kidsan
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cabarete

Postby kidsan » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:39 am

ron burgundy wrote: As a general comment, I'd recommend getting healthcare advice from healthcare professionals rather than kiteforum.
Thanks for that Ron.
The only problem i have is that i dont have a huge amount of confidence in 'healthcare professionals'. There is far too much of a tendency towards panic and warning people away from anything that is even remotely dangerous in the professional healthcare world. (for example, the 'professionals' advise people travelling to Nouakchott, West Africa where i live, to take anti-malarials despite the fact that there is no malaria here!)

I therefore like to take a broader spectrum of opinions and it is interesting to see how many people on this thread (and a similar one on another forum) who have been kiting for many years and have not had problems.

That said, the risk of permanent damage is a real one and maybe it is advisable, in freshwater lakes particularly, to take more precautions.

Return to “Kitesurfing”