Forum for kitesurfers
suRff
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: my lifestyle
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2011 Slingshot Rally

Postby suRff » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:44 pm

Thanks for that slingslut. Not say'n RPM is a bow, just that it is more bow-ish than Rally. Also not say'n RPM is a poor aerodynamic design. It could be relative the Rally, the now 2 year old RPM design is inferior (aerodynamically). That's fine and should be the case two years on.

I'm just trying to understand why the Rally is faster and has more low end than the RPM. From the pics and vids the Rally def did not look lower aspect than the RPM. If this is indeed the case, then I understand the added grunt relative to the RPM. Interesting that the higher aspect RPM is slower than the Rally. Hope I get a chance to try or at least see a Rally some time soon.

FL Kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Jetty, Ft. Pierce, FL USA
Favorite Beaches: South Jetty, Ft. Pierce, FL USA
Anne's Beach, Islamorada, FL USA
Style: Freeriding
Gear: |
Cabrinha: '09 16m XBOW / GK: '08 12m & 9m Trix / Eclipse: '08 14m Thruster
|
2009 Nobile XTR 143x48, T5 137x42 / 2007 Litewave 179
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby FL Kiteboarder » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:06 am

-
Added to Kiteforum.tv -

Added to Kiteforum.tv -

Added to Kiteforum.tv -

Marc
Cabrinha - XBOW '09 16m / Naish - Cult '10 13.5m / GK - Trix '08 12m & 9m / Eclipse -Thruster '08 14m
Kiteboarding Videos: Feat. Nobile, Mystic, GK, Litewave, Flyboards, Ozone, Naish, Cabrinha, & More

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:44 pm

it's somewhat interesting to me that all these videos on the Rally focus on the bar. The flying aspects of the kite get virtually no 'airtime'. Showing a kite floating in the air above you is not very interesting to watch, nor does it tell us much. Why no video of the kite looping, jumping, unhooked, etc?

I'm very interested in this kite (not the bar at all...would never use it...too many error prone gadgets on it...just my personal preference, nothing else). but just am somewhat surprised at the footage available so far and makes me wonder. I know, i know...ya gotta try it yourself. but these videos aren't very inspiring relative to the verbal accolades dished out so far.

TimS
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride/freestyle
Gear: Core GTS/XR

Postby TimS » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:55 pm

jkrug wrote:it's somewhat interesting to me that all these videos on the Rally focus on the bar. The flying aspects of the kite get virtually no 'airtime'. Showing a kite floating in the air above you is not very interesting to watch, nor does it tell us much. Why no video of the kite looping, jumping, unhooked, etc?

I'm very interested in this kite (not the bar at all...would never use it...too many error prone gadgets on it...just my personal preference, nothing else). but just am somewhat surprised at the footage available so far and makes me wonder. I know, i know...ya gotta try it yourself. but these videos aren't very inspiring relative to the verbal accolades dished out so far.
Totally agree, like to see some action too !

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent

Postby shymac » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:55 pm

TimS wrote:
jkrug wrote:it's somewhat interesting to me that all these videos on the Rally focus on the bar. The flying aspects of the kite get virtually no 'airtime'. Showing a kite floating in the air above you is not very interesting to watch, nor does it tell us much. Why no video of the kite looping, jumping, unhooked, etc?

Totally agree, like to see some action too !
*If it an't one thing its another.... Why have that...? Why didn't you have this...? for under 2.40 its a great basic product video. I'll get your string swinging video out soon enough... :cheer:

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.

Postby shymac » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:57 pm

suRff wrote:thanks for the video. :thumb: would love to see some more rider perspective video shots similar to your RPM vids on the surfboard.
The Oregon Coast is suppose to go off this weekend so hopefully I can get some of that again with the Rally. :thumb:

snobdr
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Atlantic City

Postby snobdr » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:53 pm

Ive heard some good things about this kite, but is it me or is that swivel plastic? Anything plastic gets very brittle when snowkiting.And what about UV damage?
Also whats the pricing on this kite. Less struts=less material/less work=less cost to make=lower price,or am i once again dreaming?

shymac
Very Frequent Poster

Postby shymac » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:05 pm

snobdr wrote:Ive heard some good things about this kite, but is it me or is that swivel plastic? Anything plastic gets very brittle when snowkiting.And what about UV damage?
Also whats the pricing on this kite. Less struts=less material/less work=less cost to make=lower price,or am i once again dreaming?
Its a molded composite part with 2 independent trust bearings... Yes, it is a swivel and yes it can get jammed if full of sand but its the best one on the market and was design around a 4 line flagging system that completely flags your kite similar to a 5th line system but without the wrap or hassle of 5 lines... This does not just sheet your kite out but really fully flags your kite 100%... When properly maintained it works great! If maintaining things is not your gig then don't buy it... But basically any thing that has 2 wheels or a skirt is gonna give you problems.. So be proactive and maintain your gear; be it SS or Brand B. Since it was design around a safety feature the part has been tested for strength and durability with regards to load, UV, ect... It really is a good part. Yes updates can and will come but this is one of the nicest kite specific swivels on the market. For snow it works great... Since there is no sand... Been using the system for about 1.5 years and its great for snowkiting... No line twisted or having your line rub on each other as you down loop your kite to get up that epic incline... I'm a snowkiter and this bar is legit! I would never gap or glide 50ft+ without the our CSS 800lb Line sets...

Also less strut does mean less work... Spilt strut has been added and there is always a cost... Plus wage increase overseas... Cost of delivering goods have gone up... Cost of fabric up... my wage has gone up... NOT!... Taxes per country always seem to go up, adding more overhead cost so retail cost have to rise.. This list could go on forever... But this isn't just kiteboarding its a global problem with our times... Keep the dream alive and hopefully someday things can change? :remybussi: But for now research your product, take the time to demo, ask questions and hopefully the purchase will be worth the money... Not to many sports that once you buy in you get back the more you ride... No need to fill'er up each time you want a session... like a boat, moto, ski ticket, cable park, air balloon. Getting there by car is not part of the equation... thats a given... So lets think of the positive impacts of spending 4 grand... If you can't afford it then there no room to wine... Nobody said kiteboarding was cheap... Shite I spent over 2500 for my first kit and that was in 2000 for 1 kite/1 bar/lines/pump/board/bindings. All sold separate and a POS.. but hell I was sooo stoked just to get out and get a pull... and that was priceless...

FabsPH
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oahu, S shore
Favorite Beaches: Oahu S shore, Mokuleia,
Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground

Postby FabsPH » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:27 am

I am so worried that I need to replace my 9m Octane (2010) with the 8m and 10m Rally.
Can't see that the 8m will replace my 9m.
Any info on that? Any comparison done? Same day riding for example.

Mahalo

sammyd
Rare Poster

Postby sammyd » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:47 am

I was looking at the pics of the rally and it just looks like the BEST KAhoona
It also looks similar to the Fone bandit.

I have ridden both of those kites which dont work that well in waves - It amazes me that SS is claiming this as a wave kite - Deltas have too much low end power

Slingshot seems to really like copying BEST - they copied the waroo to make the rev and now they copied the Kahoona to make the Rally - they just added a centre strut
Best must be stoked.

If you are a wave rider you might want to consider...be warned - and good luck if you want to unhook....or go to the gym and get mega strong.

Return to “Kitesurfing”