lukeskiteboarding
Medium Poster
Style: Surf / Freestyle
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wanna SUK

Postby lukeskiteboarding » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:30 pm

Stand Up Kiteboarding.
I was wondering, is this a new direction in the sport or just another way to jump on the popularity of Stand Up Paddling.

Ive done it and found it more difficult than regular kiteboarding. The second the board is pointed at the kite the lines go slack and the kite falls out of the sky.

Opinions bring em!!

sourra
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Reflex 141 + Naish Torch/Cult/Momentum/Custom + Bluebottle Custom

Re: Wanna SUK

Postby sourra » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:31 pm

Dude, what the hell are you talking about?

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:59 pm

sourra wrote:Dude, what the hell are you talking about?

The phenomenon of SUP (Stand Up Paddling) has been sweeping the USA for the last 2 years...Has this fad not swept through Sweden as well?

marina
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Central Coast, California
Favorite Beaches: Central Coast, California
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Ventana, Mexico
Oregon Coast
Baja Pacific Side
Peru
Style: waves, jumping and wiggling
Gear: mixed
Brand Affiliation: mixed

Postby marina » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:10 pm

We just ran an instructional on SUPing with a kite, written by Brendan Richards of Caution. It was in the October 2011 issue which will be posted online in about two weeks. Subscribe to The Kiteboarder feed to get the updates when they happen:-)

Brendan shared some great tips. With the progression of SUP boards, he says it is now more fun and worth the effort if you want to kite in super light winds.....

sourra
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Reflex 141 + Naish Torch/Cult/Momentum/Custom + Bluebottle Custom

Postby sourra » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:26 pm

kitezilla wrote:
sourra wrote:Dude, what the hell are you talking about?

The phenomenon of SUP (Stand Up Paddling) has been sweeping the USA for the last 2 years...Has this fad not swept through Sweden as well?
It sure has and people have tried to kite on them too but you can't seriously say that it is a surf disciplin of its own and call it SUK. The whole point of SUP is that you paddle...

lukeskiteboarding
Medium Poster
Style: Surf / Freestyle

Postby lukeskiteboarding » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:46 pm

I didn't make up the name. Stand up Paddle board with a kite. Kite boarding on a Paddleboard. I think SUK is the best way to describe it. Hopefully the name sticks.

sourra
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sourra » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:24 pm

Could somebody please explain the point of kiting with a 10" board? A friend did it back in 2007 when the first Naish SUPs arrived to Sweden and for some reason, he's never done it again.

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:47 pm

sourra wrote:
Could somebody please explain the point of kiting with a 10" board?
It appears to be one of those things that "if you have to ask the question, you won't be able to understand the answer."

You either think like the character in "the wind in the willows" or you don't. He says:

"Simply messing...about in boats -- or with boats... In or out of 'em it doesn't matter. Nothing seems to matter, that's the charm of it. Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."

"wind in the willows"

Stand up Paddling is just one more way of "messing about in boats". My theory is that the people that gravitate toward it, are in some way, rebelling against their parents, who told them "Do not stand up in boats"...I could be wrong...

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:58 am

sourra wrote:Could somebody please explain the point of kiting with a 10" board?...
Because it's fun. :lol:

islandstylen
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby islandstylen » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:50 am

sweet, when the wind is light, instead finding something else to do, i can call me mates and ask if they wanna go "SUKKING" today. :lol: :roll:
sourra wrote: Post subject: Re: Wanna SUK Reply with quote
I didn't make up the name. Stand up Paddle board with a kite. Kite boarding on a Paddleboard. I think SUK is the best way to describe it. Hopefully the name sticks.
why on earth would you want that name to stick?

Return to “Kitesurfing”