Local Beach: k
Favorite Beaches: kitebeach maui, pro pool
Style: wake
Brand Affiliation: LF, others
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cabrinha vs. Slingshot?

Postby wakenbreak » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:50 am

I ride SB 2010's and they are sick kites. A bit slow in the turns, but they unhook so nicely and have C kite style constant pull

RPM's I've ridden too (2010's) and they are nice kites, quicker in the turn than SB's but they don't unhook that well

So depends on your riding style. Both are good kites.

from what I've heard though the 2011 SB's ride the same as the 2010's but they look like shit (graphics wise) - not seen them though...

shinn007
Medium Poster

Postby shinn007 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:00 pm

I fly the RPM.
Last week tried the Cabrinha Nomad 2011 and found this is a lot like the RPM. Realy nice kite!
Haven't flown the Switchblade, but if I'd ever switch to Cab's it's definately the Nomad.

OceanAdventures
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Leeside park - Fort Walton Beach
Gear: Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby OceanAdventures » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:34 pm

wakenbreak wrote:
from what I've heard though the 2011 SB's ride the same as the 2010's but they look like shit (graphics wise) - not seen them though...

From the pictures our shop thought the same things about the SB, but had a demo last weekend with Damien and i have to say the Blue color scheme actually looks pretty nice, just my personal opinion.

KiteRunner
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Crandon Park/Miami Beach
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby KiteRunner » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:02 pm

Nico wrote:Too true kiterunner.
Any reason why you are shouting it though ?
Nico
What do you mean by "shouting it though"?

philmb
Medium Poster
Local Beach: brighton beach, Pinnaroo point.
Style: All
Gear: RPM, RALLY, NOBILE NHP

Postby philmb » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:17 pm

CaptainArgh wrote:Ooooh, these posts are fun! The arena is built, the lines are up and KR is throwing the two heavy weights in the ring to fight it out! :boxing:

This season I'm enjoying the Rallys. I find you have to pry the RPMs out of owners hands. They don't seem to want to leave them for another kite...or let you use theirs. :) Only criticism I've heard from people who have left the RPM is it has a narrower wind range. I don't know if that's true, just what I've heard. There are Rally threads on here discussing it's performance- have a look at those and the 2011 SS Thread.

Also, you didn't say if you are getting a new kite or looking to changeover your quiver? If you just want to add a kite, I'd stick with the same brand/model. It is easier to jump from kite to kite as conditions change if they behave similarly. Also easier to interchange bars and other parts as needed.

To true! Sometimes think its an almost "cult following" the RPM's have.. I LOVE MINE!

kitecozumel
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: all Cozumel locations
Favorite Beaches: anywhere with wind and waves
Style: professional
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot

Postby kitecozumel » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:57 pm

Once you try RPM's , is point of no return...I can only trade them to 2011s, can't wait. :jump:

Twitch
Medium Poster

Postby Twitch » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:03 pm

why go to rpm's? you have a better option. Fuel's...

KiteRunner
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Crandon Park/Miami Beach

Postby KiteRunner » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:06 pm

I would love to demo an RPM.

Does anyone know where I can demo one in the Miami area?

I tried the SS Rally again yesterday, size 12, which is compatible to my SB, and it didn't really do it for me...I landed it back on the beach, pumped up my SB again, and had an awesome session...

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:23 pm

KR:
never received that PM about your bars...?
regarding kites..if you are going to try a new rally you'll want to try a new SB as well.
steve

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:20 am

RPM – Cab 2009

Keep in mind where talking 2009 Cab and SS however I do have the 2010 12m SS RPM

• It’s not a grunty low end kite (it’s made not to be that) no c kite is
• Constant smooth power delivery for a guy that has just unhooked that it has
• Slack for sure
• RMP Hi jumping kite with hang time no. the 12 has a good float in 16-20kns you can get them up there
• Easy to loop, for sure with constant power delivery
• I also think it’s a great wave kite (might not be the best) but parks and floats back with no issue
• Construction I would have to say SS is better then the other brand
• I have the 2009 SB and after one year of use it looks like a 2002 and has a hole from filler tube rubbing
• SS bar is great in a class of its own especially the 2010 bar on my 12m , I’m not to fussed about the under bar depower I like it above.
• 2009 SS under bar depower is a pain
• If I buy another kite depower will be above bar
• I have a buddy that rides a 2009 RPM 12m @ 100kg that took it up to I’m thinking 30kns so wind range it has. But that being said my SS 10m goes crazy in turbulent wind
• RPM’s in my experience do not handle turbulent wind well (only 3 struts) I’m guessing the Rally will be the same. Not happy with this as the wind here is quite turbulent
• Light bar fell and bar feel overall is hard to beat with a SS
• I don’t like the heavy bar on the cab
• The wing material in the 2009 SB wears or ages really fast it seems
• RPM water launches easier then the Cab (as strange as this is for a “c” kite)
• I’ve had not bar issues with either
• Cab being a bow has better low end
• Love the SS bag!
• After looping the kite let go of the bar and the SS instantly unwraps the Cab does not you have to flip the bar to start the unwrap
• The RPM has a great wind range for an open C

All in all if you’re into unhooking tricks and some wave riding the RPM is good in clean air. If you’re into high jumps and hang time (old school) look else where. If you want a bit of both there are some really nice hybrids out there now covering both really well.

I’m looking to by a North rebel 14m for old school tricks and light wind, The SB is being sold and you’ll have to kill me and take the 12m RMP from my cold hands. I’m not sold on the Rally I would have to ride one here but I’m guessing it would not handle the wind well here (three struts). I’ve been on the RRD obsession and a few other hybrids and was quite impressed. I have not found the “right”10m yet but I was really impressed with the some of the hybrids. I would love to try the Air rush vapor X and a few others. I also here really good things about Ozone C4 if you looking at C’s. However if I was going to buy a pure c kite it would be the Fuel (10y of refinement what could be wrong). I do love to fly the RPM 12m kite for a 12m kite it moves well has a good range and unhooks great with nice jumps and nice float. I think the 12m Rpm is faster the 2009 cab 10m SB. Bow kites are not the fastest turners lets face it. But they pull like a truck. With all designs it’s a trade off (Bow, C and Delta)

Cab did improve the SB in 2010 30% faster and looks a little lighter then 2009 keep that in mind

oh one other thing the 10RPM is a great kite too but where I'm at in 20kn the wind gets crazy so I need something that can take the heat! I had the 10m in North Brazil and it rocked (smooth air)!

Hope this helps
Kiter with work problem

Return to “Kitesurfing”