Wainman 2011

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
Tio
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Wainman 2011

Postby Tio » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:26 am

I have tested the Smoke (9mts) and the Boss (12 mts). I think that the kites are great.
Amazing stability. Fast turning and direct feel. They boost high jumps. Overall one of the best kites I ve ever tried. I think that the bar feel is perfect. The perform very well in gusty winds, great depower. They have solved the problem that the 2009 edition had, the kite tend to backstall. I will certainly give the brand a shot this year.

bsideindy
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Wainman 2011

Postby bsideindy » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:31 am

sounding a little pimpy there Mr Tio McPimpster.

Rossall
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blackpool and Como.
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras
Waddell
Tarifa
Gear: Follow the Rabbits
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby Rossall » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:21 am

Yes Mr Tio McPimpster is sounding a bit pimptastic on his or her 1st post, don't just stick to the middle settings on the bridle though play around with it, by moving the front bridle to the upwind settings you gain low end and altitude slightly heavier bar pressure but nothing to worry about.

Phil
WHUK

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:36 am

Why not pimp these amazing kites? I could pimp them all day long. I love them, but that's not say that other kites are not as good. Think everyone gets a little to carried away with the gear they ride from time to time.

For me I like 17m lines middle on the front fast on the back back lines on my Smoke 20m lines on the Boss.

Tio
Medium Poster

Postby Tio » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:33 pm

Phil: what about the single line setting? Does it change a lot?

ktflyer381
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks
Style: Freeride, freestyle, strapless
Gear: Shinn, North

Postby ktflyer381 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:06 am

The first post was about making some improvements since 09. Given that Wainman is far too cool to give their kites a year (a year is such a label when your kites are timeless), how do I know that I am getting the latest version of a Wainman kite with all of the latest tweaks? The one advantage to the consumer when kites are labelled by year is that it is harder for dealers to charge full price for old kites. I have only ever seen one Wainman on the water and haven't been to a shop that sells them, so there must be something I am missing here.

Just curious.

Kevin

wakenbreak
Rare Poster
Local Beach: k
Favorite Beaches: kitebeach maui, pro pool
Style: wake
Brand Affiliation: LF, others

Postby wakenbreak » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:37 am

Tio wrote:They have solved the problem that the 2009 edition had, the kite tend to backstall. I will certainly give the brand a shot this year.
Can you (or someone) tell us what has been changed on the 2011 kites so that they don't backstall? Line connection points, bridle size, pulley location, etc.? What is it that makes them different. I tried 09 and they fell out of the sky when they hit the edge of the window, no pull, no power (on several of the connection point settings - both up and downwind). They would lose power on kiteloops at the edge of the window too.

But, jumps were C-kite boosty and the stability of the kites when super gusty was great. Backstall was a deal killer though.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:02 pm

wakenbreak wrote:
Tio wrote:They have solved the problem that the 2009 edition had, the kite tend to backstall. I will certainly give the brand a shot this year.
Can you (or someone) tell us what has been changed on the 2011 kites so that they don't backstall? Line connection points, bridle size, pulley location, etc.? What is it that makes them different. I tried 09 and they fell out of the sky when they hit the edge of the window, no pull, no power (on several of the connection point settings - both up and downwind). They would lose power on kiteloops at the edge of the window too.

But, jumps were C-kite boosty and the stability of the kites when super gusty was great. Backstall was a deal killer though.
They adjusted the bridle and it's position so they would not just fall out of the sky on last years models. I don't think they changed anything for 11 models. I have the 2010's and never had an issue of dropping the kite as long as there was wind to keep it up.

Tio
Medium Poster

Postby Tio » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:40 am

No design changes for 2011 models.
Cheers.
Tio

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:00 am

Are there any tweaks that can be made to the original ones to make them behave like the "fixed" ones? I guess what I'm asking is.....did they just change something like the front bridle line length or pulley position or was the kite panel layout cut a bit differently or have the attachment points been moved? Not likely anybody has a ready answer. Tell me what you know, if you know. Thanks.

Return to “Reviews”