Slingshot Tyrant 6'2' finbox Fix

Forum for kitesurfers
TurcoLoco
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Slingshot Tyrant 6'2' finbox Fix

Postby TurcoLoco » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:37 pm

Great shape for a 220 pound guy, very light, coming from a windsurf background I am suspicious of light, after using twice and ALWAYS removing the fins for packing, I noticed bubles and the cracked finbox-board junction. What happened? Never hit anything, fins ate perfect, no scrach or dent, I sail hard, but thats all, eventually in a shallow transition if I lose power and the board sinks, I imediately jump off the board if i feel the bottom, but in this case I don't remember it happening. Anyway in the mini thuttle type arrangement the fin has to go before the box. Well, new construction tecnology new problems, but finboxes are always a problem, the other box in the board is showing a slight delamination, I will attach fotos in an next message. Also, what to do now?
1-Ask for warranty (maybe difficult because I am in Brazil, hope not)
2-In case I don't get warranty I would like the kitesurfing community to helpme on how to correctly fix the board. (photos are great)

TurcoLoco
Medium Poster

Re: Slingshot Tyrant 6'2' finbox Fix

Postby TurcoLoco » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:39 pm

The first foto
Attachments
DSCN5248.JPG

TurcoLoco
Medium Poster

Postby TurcoLoco » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:45 pm

The other box
Attachments
DSCN5253.JPG

kiteingcolin1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: ainsdale/westkirby/anglesey
Favorite Beaches: rosnigher
Style: old style
Gear: nobile 666,132 and 135, 2008

E.H.RIPPEHR, NEMI HP
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kiteingcolin1 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:45 pm

is that glue or water in the crack @ photo one??

whatever it is your board is dying, soon it will be firewood, my board went just the same and the cost to repair to a good standard was so high it was scrapped, it was not a slingshot, but the fin box failure looks the same, the repairere did a cheap bodge job and it lasted one day,

TurcoLoco
Medium Poster

Postby TurcoLoco » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:36 pm

Water unfortunately, I really dont know how much water the board "drunk".
Attachments
DSCN5249.JPG

rambo808
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kailua, North Shore, Kahala, Oahu, Hawaii
Favorite Beaches: Hatterus, Mokuleia, the gorge
Style: wave, wake/freesytle
Gear: 100% SLINGSHOT
Brand Affiliation: slingshot -hawaii

Postby rambo808 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:06 pm

looks like you ran something over... u keep covering ur thumb on the fin insert where there should clearly be fin marks from pushing in on the box...

your other fin box looks like the topp of your fin got pushed on that side. show some more photos of ur fins or move your thum

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:05 pm

mmmmmh. just an opinion but this doesn't look like a warranty claim. 1 of 2 things happened here.
1. you rode over something and hit something. most likely you hit a sandbar or beach. i do this all the time but bail when i touch unlike my GF that just keeps digging deeper till the board just gets completely stuck.
2. it happened off the water somebody jumped on the board while on the grasss or somewhere.

The crack shows the fin was pushed into the board and this doesn't happen under normal riding conditions. My bet is on option 1.

In the first picture is the crack towards the front or the back of the board?

Uride2
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Uride2 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:23 pm

Steffans, Can you describe the characteristics of the crack that show the fin was pushed into the board?
stefaans wrote:
The crack shows the fin was pushed into the board and this doesn't happen under normal riding conditions.

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:54 pm

Uride, I have nothing to do with this it was just my opinion. it really does depend on if its the front of the finbox or the back of the finbox.
If its in the front i really have no idea how this could have happened. if its the back of the finbox this crack was created from preasure from the front of the fin most likely squashing the back end of the fin into the board. It could also be preasure directly fromt the top but les likely. since the fin is raked back say about 30degrees direct preasure from the top will also sink the back end of the fin.
basically my point is if we can see a picture of the fin and it shows the backend of the fin was pushed into the board there are really no riding situations you can come up with that will create a preasure directly from the front to back.

Also want to add I have never shaped a board before and for sure as hell no expert on these things i just read the topic and saw the pic and it didnt add up.

If it makes you feel better my friend drove over mine right after i put it together.

mikelet
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: Yes
Brand Affiliation: No

Postby mikelet » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:14 pm

Last edited by mikelet on Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”