Perdido Key, FL
Style: FREE
Gear: Naish,
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

bindings question?

Postby tucker » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:12 am

thinking about getting bindings. intermediate rider. any advice or suggestions. tips. good or bad. pros and cons. thanks.

oskarryden
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ringsegård, Skrea strand, Apelviken
Favorite Beaches: Apelviken
Style: Wake and freestyle
Gear: RRD Obsession 9 & 12 and Nobile 50fifty 139 cm

Re: bindings question?

Postby oskarryden » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:36 am

tucker wrote:thinking about getting bindings. intermediate rider. any advice or suggestions. tips. good or bad. pros and cons. thanks.
First, which board do you ride?

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Postby PAFF » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 am

Get a board 135-140*42-43cm, and some rocker instead of a flat freestyle board.
Get a pair off boots, and get going.

Antigrav
Frequent Poster
Style: Wakestyle
Brand Affiliation: Shop rider

Postby Antigrav » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:13 pm

Depends where you ride, if you ride mostly flat water you can get away with a flatter board. Also if you ride in lighter winds then a board with loads of rocker will kill your power and mean you never get to ride enough, so again in that situation a flatter board might be more for you. If however you ride in any amount of chop, or the wind is strong where you are, get a board with some decent rocker (at least 4cm) cause it just makes life in boots that much better :D
How much do you weigh? I'm 70kg and ride a 137 with boots all the time. If you're 80kg+ then look at 140cm+ board
What board are you riding now?? I just chucked boots on my 131 thorn when I first tried them, loved them so I bought a dedicated boots board, but if I didn't like it I woulda just sold the boots. You could do the same, although you do run the risk of snapping a strap board if you boot up... :-?

pros: more powered wakestyle riding, super solid landings, feet won't come out as you throw the trick, much more satisfaction landing a new trick than in straps cause you have to work harder for it

cons: spend 30 seconds extra getting your boots on and off at the end of a session

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:26 pm

shop around for closeouts on boots. You can easily score a pair for $100-200

just make sure that the insert pattern of the boots fits the bindings, there's been movement in the last few years from 8" to 6" spacing for bindings, while some kiteboards have funky 6.5" insert patterns.

If you ride in cold locations get closed toe for extra warmth

as to ANTIGRAVS statement that boots make tricks harder, thats not the case. I find boots make botched attempts at tricks harder and more painful, but with a bigger board and much more control (especially at speed), you get better pop and more control with landings so that you can progress just as fast with boots, if not faster. The only difference is that the consequences are higher in boots which can turn you off from trying new things. Personally, I get tricks pretty dialed in straps and then start trying them in boots. Ive suffered concussions from smackdowns with boots, so Im a little hesitant about trying things initially in boots...

ps.

Antigrav
Frequent Poster

Postby Antigrav » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:40 pm

scklandl wrote:as to ANTIGRAVS statement that boots make tricks harder
When did I say that? :roll:
I said you had to work harder for the trick, when I say that I mean when you wipeout it hurts more, therefore you get a greater sense of satisfaction actually getting a trick down....That's not the trick being harder, it's the consequences of getting it wrong being higher :nono:
You yourself said you get stuff dialled in straps before moving to boots, why would you do that unless learning a trick in boots is tougher on your body?? I can't do that, I hate riding straps now, I just feel like every time I pop I'm about to break my ankle, even doing stupid things like raleys and backrolls I just don't trust the board to stay on my feet

p.s. get closed toe, I didn't think it would make any difference to me but having ridden closed toe I'd never go back to open toe now

tucker
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Bay, Provo
Perdido Key, FL
Style: FREE
Gear: Naish,

Postby tucker » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:44 pm

ride a 2010 lunacy 135. pretty flat and wide. im 6'5 230. would like to get another board for straps and turn this into the binding board.

oskarryden
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ringsegård, Skrea strand, Apelviken
Favorite Beaches: Apelviken
Style: Wake and freestyle
Gear: RRD Obsession 9 & 12 and Nobile 50fifty 139 cm

Postby oskarryden » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:00 pm

tucker wrote:ride a 2010 lunacy 135. pretty flat and wide. im 6'5 230. would like to get another board for straps and turn this into the binding board.
If you like Slingshot, switch to the Darkside instead!

I ride a Custom with Ronix Frank boot. It is really good for throwing wakestyle! Heaps of rocker which gives a dynamite-pop! Other boards to recommend is the Underground Steeze. have not tried any others. But dont go smaller than 135. Not narrower than 42 really.. boots wont fit as good. They will hit the surface of the water when you are edging the board.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:11 pm

And you guys thought we were all haters!

Look at that. A page full of useful information.

Its pretty much been said. Your a big dude at over 200 so that little lunacy is gonna be way too flexy and small for you in boots. Get something much bigger and you will enjoy yourself much more. You can try it, but its gonna give you a feel for boots not wakestyle. A bigger stiffer rockered board and keep the lunacy until you are sure that your done with straps.... like 30 seconds!

Antigrav
Frequent Poster

Postby Antigrav » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:59 pm

tucker wrote:ride a 2010 lunacy 135. pretty flat and wide. im 6'5 230. would like to get another board for straps and turn this into the binding board.
That definitely sounds the wrong way round to me :-? I'd say keep that as the strap board and get a 144x43ish board. You're a much bigger guy than me and my board at 137 feels the perfect size for me! I've been on the 2011 aboards w-series for a while now and am digging it big time, so here's a shameless pimp for the 144 w-series for you :wink:
Seriously you can strap boots to any board and have a good time, but as starsky says you never fully appreciate them til you get them on a proper wakestyle board :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”