Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

vietnam winds this season....

Forum for kitesurfers
Northern Monkey
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: East Coast, Western Cape, South Africa.
Style: Wave and Freestyle
Gear: Kites: Rabbits: 5m 7m, 9m, 10.5m
Twinnies: Wainman Joke UG Crypt 2011
Waves: Firewire 6.0 Gerraty 6.0 UG Skim
Brand Affiliation: Wainman
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: vietnam winds this season....

Postby Northern Monkey » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:23 pm

ChickenTikka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Thailand
Bol, Croatia
Mui. Ne Vietnam
Tarifa
Leucate
Gear: Looking to change up!
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ChickenTikka » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:25 am

My girlfriend and I are heading to Mui Ne on Tuesday. How's the wind? It appears to be good from the charts.

BrianMaiden
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Guincho, Kingfisher, Fuerte, Tarifa, Gwithian
Favorite Beaches: Gwithian
Style: Strapless
Gear: Duotone

Postby BrianMaiden » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:32 pm

Been in Mui Ne a week now, had 2 good days. Apparently the wind will be good from boxing day (maybe xmas day) so you might get lucky. It seems having 2 good days in a week is lucky this season as there's not been consistent wind. Bring a big kite.

ChickenTikka
Frequent Poster
Bol, Croatia
Mui. Ne Vietnam
Tarifa
Leucate

Postby ChickenTikka » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:57 pm

Wind looks like it will pick up soon champ.

1. What's the best way to get to Mui Ne? Where in Ho Chi Minh do I go to get the bus there?

2. Is it busy? Or are there plenty of accomodation choices currently?

3. Is it wavey there? Strong current?

watersair
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Felixstowe
Favorite Beaches: Felixstowe
Gear: SS Rev 09

Crazyfly Allrounder

Postby watersair » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:49 am

ChickenTikka wrote:Wind looks like it will pick up soon champ.

1. What's the best way to get to Mui Ne? Where in Ho Chi Minh do I go to get the bus there?

2. Is it busy? Or are there plenty of accomodation choices currently?

3. Is it wavey there? Strong current?
When in Siagon (Ho Chi Minh) head to Pham Gu Lau (backpacker area), here there are many tour operaters where you can get a bus from between $5 and $10 ands takes between 4-5 hours.

It is pretty busy here especially as its christmas / new years. I would recomend trying to book some accomodation before coming.

There is no strong current but can get quite choppy when the wind picks up and there can be a big shore break when the wind is over 20kts.

Contrary to the previous post i wouldnt worry to much about bringing a big kite, you may only get a hour or 2 use out of this in the morning. A 10-8M kite will be the best one kite to bring as by 1pm we normally have close to 20kts.

BrianMaiden
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Guincho, Kingfisher, Fuerte, Tarifa, Gwithian
Favorite Beaches: Gwithian
Style: Strapless
Gear: Duotone

Postby BrianMaiden » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:26 am

It's Xmas day, I've been waiting on the beach all afternoon and have watched ten huge kites out with small riders. Yes it is USUALLY windy and it SHOULD be windy next week but, contrary to the previous post bring a small AND a big kite

ChickenTikka
Frequent Poster
Bol, Croatia
Mui. Ne Vietnam
Tarifa
Leucate

Postby ChickenTikka » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:31 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm bringing a 12-8 which are my only two kites. I'll use the light wind to instruct my girlfriend.

As for accommodation - I'm thinking simple guest house with wifi and AC. Don't need a fancy resort. Not sure how to go about sorting this in advance. What sites are good? I usually don't book in advance in Asia for non international operators because once you've paid in advance you have no ability to bargain, complain, or move to something better once you find out they are giving you a bad deal.

I was thinking of getting the GF one of these exploratory courses. Although I could just have her use my equipment and pay a teenager to babysit her (she's ready to start body dragging). Not really sure she needs the full kite school experience. I have all the equipment already, the videos, and advice she needs.

aircatcher
Frequent Poster

Postby aircatcher » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:08 pm

ChickenTikka wrote:

As for accommodation - I'm thinking simple guest house with wifi and AC. Don't need a fancy resort. Not sure how to go about sorting this in advance. What sites are good? I usually don't book in advance in Asia for non international operators because once you've paid in advance you have no ability to bargain, complain, or move to something better once you find out they are giving you a bad deal.

I was thinking of getting the GF one of these exploratory courses. Although I could just have her use my equipment and pay a teenager to babysit her (she's ready to start body dragging). Not really sure she needs the full kite school experience. I have all the equipment already, the videos, and advice she needs.
Smart idea about accommodation,i would do that too. You probably can teach you friend if you understand well kiteboarding and wind condition & able to spot out and explain to correct beginner common mistake .I taught my kid kiteboard & paragliding,he is now better than me on both.

ChickenTikka
Frequent Poster
Bol, Croatia
Mui. Ne Vietnam
Tarifa
Leucate

Postby ChickenTikka » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:53 pm

Cool, see you guys on the beach soon. One morning meeting in Bombay tomorrow and then off to Bangkok for a debauched evening with the girlfriend. Saigon and Mui ne the following afternoon.

I'm stoked!!!

buzzz
Medium Poster

Postby buzzz » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:13 am

Try the place one or two up from the Sailing Club - Bow Win is how it's pronounced but can't remember exact spelling ... only small but clean reasonably priced & friendly ... anyways theres plenty of places to choose from all is easy to find ...

Return to “Kitesurfing”