Langebaan
Dolphin Beach
Shark Bay
Brand Affiliation: Naish
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

From Cult to Torch....

Postby Pippi langsamer » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:57 pm

Is there much of a learning curve? Will I get my head ripped off? Just how different/ difficult would I find it?

Own three Cults, but keep seeing lovely Torches for sale, and hear wonderful mystical tales of how good they are.

I've only been riding about 16 months or so, so I'm sure the Torch is beyond me but I'm still curious.....

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Re: From Cult to Torch....

Postby PAFF » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:06 pm

Take a year on a Park...

It can do what the Torch can, and is as easy to fly as a Cult.

wrogu
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby wrogu » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:28 pm

Dont be scared of C kites. We have a saying in here: devil is not so scary as people paint him. You will be fine if you are aware of what you can expect and what not.

woodfu
Frequent Poster

Postby woodfu » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:18 am

Just do it... i went from boxer sles (which were my first kites) to torches a few years ago and yeah there was a slight learning curve but its not insurmountable.

There will be just a few moments when you do something you're used to doing with your cult and the torch will respond with more speed and power, probably resulting in a faceplant (First downloops and over powered conditions come to mind. )

It wont take more then a few sessions to get used to and once you do the extra adrenaline created by the aggressiveness of the power delivery and response will have you hooked.

koma
Rare Poster
Gear: Nobile, Naish, Slingshot, Mystic, Oneill.

Postby koma » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:17 am

The Torch is an exceptionally friendly C-kite with heaps of depower and easy relaunch once you learn how to relaunch a 5-liner. It won't do anything that you can't handle as long as your a competent intermediate kiter.

I've loaned my Torch to a mate with 6 months experience (just holding ground and small jumps) and he loved it! Previously he'd only flown his GK Sonic, and by the time he came in off the water after and hour or so he had the biggest grin on his face i've ever seen and asked me if i wanted to sell it to upgrade. I've also used my 12m Torch to teach my missus on a couple of occasions when the wind was light enough for her.

The Torch will be faster, at times more powerful and slightly less forgiving. It's like stepping up from a family 4-door car to a sports car, the idea is the same just it all happens a little faster. :thumb:

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:06 am

You'll be fine :thumb:

The major difference is how you ride it, you'll have to use your legs a bit more for edging, and there is a bit more bar pressure but this is what makes it feel more direct.

As far as depower goes, I was riding my 2007 Torch 12m yesterday quite powered up and the chicken loop safety activated itself, I was able to hold onto the chicken loop with one hand with the bar right out while resetting the safety with the other while floating is waves.............. :roll:

Jay

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dr_Rosen » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:10 am

I have tried the Torches when I borrowed some for a few weeks. I normally ride SLE's
Nothing to be scared about, planty of depower.
It will probably have more bar pressure than you are used to.
But IMHO there is no reason to go to a C kite unless you ride unhooked.

Pippi langsamer
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Big Bay
Langebaan
Dolphin Beach
Shark Bay
Brand Affiliation: Naish

Postby Pippi langsamer » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:41 am

Thanks for the positive feedback chaps- all sounds good! Maybe I'll take the plunge afterall......

Is there much difference between the 2010 and 2011 Torches? Seen a 2010 Torch for reasonable price secondhand but as-new (apparently)

As I've only flown Cults (and Cabrinhas back in learning days), I'm only used to 4-Line set-ups. Just what exactly is the relaunch process like on a 5-Line Torch?

As for getting a Park, they too look great but I don't really want to go buy a new kite when I've already got three Cults- I'm just very curious to try the Torch. Also, supply of 2011 Naish gear here in South Africa seems to have hit a snag for some reason and there's very little (if any), stock of 2011 gear.......

:thumb:

wrogu
Frequent Poster

Postby wrogu » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:42 pm

As you cant go wrong with torch you cant go wrong with vegas or fuel too :) Try those as well if you want a good C kite. New hadlow pro model is also told to be quite decent, with possibility to add a small bridle for some extra depower.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:18 pm

Dr_Rosen

But IMHO there is no reason to go to a C kite unless you ride unhooked.

What a load of crap. C kites aren't just for unhooked.......don't talk about stuff you obviously know nothing about. I've been flying 2010 Cults and Torches back to back today and yep the Cult is ok for normal riding but when pushed it seriously couldn't handle it, the Torch has alot more direct feel (yep that's bar pressure) power through turns allowing you to really get some carving going on, was so much more stable (I had the Cult flapping like a seagull on more than one occasion)

It's the old cliche, Cults (SLEs) like a comfy auto, Torch like a 4wd rally car ie more performance!!!

Jay

Return to “Kitesurfing”