zh4k
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Erie
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Last kite standing in long lull?

Postby zh4k » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:33 pm

Lets say all kites are flying at 12 in light wind and a LONG lull hits......what kite is most likely to stay in the air the longest?

Those lighter will of course beat out those more heavier built, but also those kites that have a better balance and float backwards in lulls as opposed to nose diving could stay up longer then a lighter kite.

What kite is the best?

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Last kite standing in LONG lull?

Postby Tone » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:58 pm

Flysurfer speed 3 will stay in the air longer than any inflatable kite.

zh4k
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Erie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Last kite standing in long lull?

Postby zh4k » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:04 pm

Well I don't want this topic to get into the ENDLESS foil v. LEI debate....THUS, Lets limit this to LEI please

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:00 pm

zh4k wrote:Well I don't want this topic to get into the ENDLESS foil v. LEI debate....THUS, Lets limit this to LEI please
how about you be a little more specific in your questions in the future?

I reckon as your are limiting it to LEIs then something like the Dyno or Ozone Edge will stay up there a reasonably long time..

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:11 pm

I've had good success with both the Bolt and the Park. The park because it only hasd thress struts, and therefore a much lower weight combined with a decent balance and the Bolt, even if it is a little heavier, the sigma shape seems to move the center further back so the kite stays...even with no pressure on the lines...the Bolt seems gruntier than the Park tho...

I'm excited to see how the new charger will work in that respect since it is made for light wind kiting.

The only shapes I think will have a disadvantage is the more classic delta shapes. Even if they are grunty it seems that they have a lot of their weight in the front of the kite. Obviously the designs have evolved a little so it'll be interesting to hear what people have to say.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:29 pm

itl come down to the skill of the pilot. thats way more important to the type of kite. keep the kite moving. loop it if need be.

but the light kites will be slightly better. eg a 3 strut catalyst will be lighter and slightly easier to keep in the sky to the heavier 7 strut edge. still you should be able to keep most leis in the air down to at least 5 knots probably less. if your floating in the water then itl come down to wind v current. if the current/ rip is stronger than the wind (going in the wrong direction) your screwed your kite is falling out of the sky.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:05 am

Your best bet is an open cell foil or a C Quad. Even lower you have your indoor kites.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:13 am

plummet wrote:itl come down to the skill of the pilot. thats way more important to the type of kite. keep the kite moving. loop it if need be.

but the light kites will be slightly better. eg a 3 strut catalyst will be lighter and slightly easier to keep in the sky to the heavier 7 strut edge. still you should be able to keep most leis in the air down to at least 5 knots probably less. if your floating in the water then itl come down to wind v current. if the current/ rip is stronger than the wind (going in the wrong direction) your screwed your kite is falling out of the sky.
IME yes (and no) - yes to the kite skills and I think that over-rides the kite itself ... my Xbows stay up while the F-Ones, Parks, Cults, SBs are all falling out of the sky. That's probably as much to do with a flatter kite catching more air as it is to do with me keeping it moving at the zenith though ...

... the delta's seem particularly bad at Hindenburging then not relaunching until several more knots of wind arrives.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:09 am

I Don't fly deltas so i can't comment on them. but for gods sake don't stick an inflatable at the zenith in light wind. thats the fastest way to get a hindenburge. in true light wind you want to keep it moving through the powerzone. I would never park an inflatable at the the zenith in a lull out at sea. never ever. I'd keep working it and slowly body drag my arse back to shore.

i also concur with open cel foils and c qauds being the best (but not relavent in this conversation).

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:15 am

The question is meaningless. The result depends on what the wind is doing during that lull.

It can drop off and stay low. Forward bridled, light weight kite will win.

It can drop off then fluctuate down. Forward bridled, light weight again. Heavier and slower kites will back stall.

It can drop off and fluctuate up a little. Forward bridled kite will come forward and front stall when the wind backs off again. Kites with better drift will float backwards better.

The real answer is that the kite that is easiest to keep flying in a figure-8 pattern will win because it generates it's own wind. That is mostly dependent on the skill of the flyer.

BTW I think the Arc would be the best at keeping itself in the air. It's the only kite that sits at 12:00 by itself, automatically compensating for gusts and stuff.

Return to “Kitesurfing”