Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Countries where you need to have an insurance?

Forum for kitesurfers
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Countries where you need to have an insurance?

Postby Toby » Sat May 28, 2011 9:23 am

I just read in a German forum, that in Germany you need to have a liability insurance...new to me, never heard it is a must...so I wonder, if you have to have an insurance in other countries?

USA would make sense...you don't want to get in trouble there I guess!

wazzaah
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Terschelling
Style: Wave
Gear: F-One
Brand Affiliation: Kitesurfschool Terschelling, Kitestart.nl
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Countries where you need to have an insurance?

Postby wazzaah » Sat May 28, 2011 12:30 pm

Do you mean for kiting or in general?

Check your normal insurance (the daily life accidents that can happen) and if kiting or extreme sports are not covered you probably need an extra insurance. In Holland most insurance won't cover kitesurf accidents.

Also if you travel a lot check your travel insurance if extreme sport are mentioned.

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby WildDuke » Sat May 28, 2011 12:32 pm

Don't think it mandatory in Australia but I know that where I've kited I'd you didn't you weren't allowed to attend kiting events such as demo days or expos, plus it was highly frowned upon. I can't see why you wouldn't have some sort if insurance to cover you.

eitan80
Frequent Poster

Postby eitan80 » Sat May 28, 2011 1:25 pm

Toby
What do you mean by "need to have..."
Or what?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat May 28, 2011 1:43 pm

well, in Germany the law says, you need to have a liability insurance for kitesurfing. So if something happens, you are covered.

AT events like PKRA, KTE, GErman Tour etc you need to have a liability insurance for sure.
I didn't know it is in general. So I wonder about other countries.

pingo
Medium Poster

Postby pingo » Tue May 31, 2011 8:36 pm

In Dubai you need to show an insurance. Then you can buy a kite day pass or enter the kiteboarding club to use the local beach.

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Tue May 31, 2011 8:57 pm

isn't this stupid?

first, bragging in every place possible that kiteboarding is extreme sport and then start to complain about insurance fees?

second, and what is this what makes it extreme? i think more people die because of falling from the bed in their sleep at night than from the practicing kiteboarding every year!

every stupid mistake one idiot kiter has made is not a extreme sport stunt, but most probably the example of carelessness and negligence, not more!

so thank yourself for those insurance fees and feel proud of yourselves for being extreme! :mosh:

Feng
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Franceville, normandie, france
Favorite Beaches: beauduc south of france
Gear: Cab 13 SB, Cab 9 Xbow, Cab 8 2013 SB

Postby Feng » Tue May 31, 2011 9:17 pm

The point of an insurance is not to cover yourserf.
The point of an insurance is to ensure that if you have an accident and the save guards must use a boat or an helicopter to send you to the nearest hospital, the cost will not be paid by the local coucil (i.e. the local tax payers) but can be charged back to the insurance company.
Kitesurfing is a dangerous sport. Accidents happend. We can enjoy the sport but we can not ask the local public (i.e. the local tax payers) to pay for the potential recovery costs.

Alternatively, we could leave the body of injured kitesurfer to rot on the beach but this is unfortunatly not a practical solution acceptable by the local communities. So someone have to pay for the recovery in case of accident.

Mandatory insurance makes sense. In UK, an insurance is requested to kite in some beaches.

Anglian
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Felixstowe, Suffolk, England
Style: Freeride Waves
Gear: SS Rpm 8m, Ozone Catalyst 12m Flexifoil Ion 2 6m, Cab S Quad 5'3 Circle One 6' pin tail both strapless ;-)

Postby Anglian » Tue May 31, 2011 9:42 pm

Feng wrote:The point of an insurance is not to cover yourserf.
The point of an insurance is to ensure that if you have an accident and the save guards must use a boat or an helicopter to send you to the nearest hospital, the cost will not be paid by the local coucil (i.e. the local tax payers) but can be charged back to the insurance company.
Kitesurfing is a dangerous sport. Accidents happend. We can enjoy the sport but we can not ask the local public (i.e. the local tax payers) to pay for the potential recovery costs.

Alternatively, we could leave the body of injured kitesurfer to rot on the beach but this is unfortunatly not a practical solution acceptable by the local communities. So someone have to pay for the recovery in case of accident.

Mandatory insurance makes sense. In UK, an insurance is requested to kite in some beaches.
WTF are you talking about??
The insurance we buy isn't meant to cover the cost of dragging your sorry ass off the water here in the UK, we pay a National Insurance to cover the cost of lifesaving, and some of us put money into the small Lifeboats you see on shop/cafe counters to try and help the volunteers. The insurance here is a rip off, and to force people to get insurance before they kite at certain spots is BS in my opinion. I have insurance because I kite abroad and am not gonna have my holiday ruined because i couldn't be bothered to pay 15 quid insurance.

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Tue May 31, 2011 10:10 pm

Feng wrote:The point of an insurance is not to cover yourserf.

i know how insurance works, Feng.

i guess we all pay multiple taxes: income tax, salary tax, local tax and so on and so on...

in the developed countries the helivac existed long before kiteboarding has evolved. most of the kitespots are near the major cities anyway!

and why local council would stay away from the securing the local beaches? after all taxed profit from the local tourists business is going to the local budget?

every sport is dangerous, and accidents happen everywhere. so why do cyclists or joggers are not insured? who would clean up their uninsured mutilated dead bodies from the tarmac?
just today they find dead seal on the beach near me. no insurance paper on its dead body. so who's paying? of course local council! that's are local taxes are for.

recently one (italian? i'm not sure) prominent bicyclist has been killed by his garage door. so what? in the future we have to charge homes with garage doors insurances doubled?

it is all pretty much about choices. and it is quite surprising to see wealthy countries which are demanding the additional insurances for kiters...

Return to “Kitesurfing”