Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kiting in Thailand

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
shifty
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Whole South Coast, anything around Portsmouth although I'm on a years travelling adventure so trying to hit anywhere and everywhere!!
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiting in Thailand

Postby shifty » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:13 am

Hi, My bird and I are currently travelling Thailand and are looking for any advice or tips on where to go this time of year for good wind and real budget accommodation. We have been looking at Pran Buri but can not seem to find any budget style rooms, only ones for higher prices then we want.

We have are own kite and harness but no board so this means we have to be around rental sites. Plus we are both still learning so to be next to/near to a kite school would be great so we can maybe get another hours tuition.

Anyways any help or tips on this would be great.

Cheers, Toby

Pin Head
Medium Poster

Re: Kiting in Thailand

Postby Pin Head » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:23 am

I went to KBA at Pranburi and was very impressed. Friendly instructors, good equipment and very nice beach style bungalows to be had. These can be booked in advance or just turn up and pay on the day with one of the smaller familyguest house businesses. Great eating with the Thais at night if you can muster the amazing food on the street stalls. Not a tourist to be had incomparison to Hua Hin, This is similar but has no Thai feel to it.

PS the wind was not amazing, Feb/March a good time of year to go.

ChickenTikka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Thailand
Bol, Croatia
Mui. Ne Vietnam
Tarifa
Leucate
Gear: Looking to change up!

Postby ChickenTikka » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:34 pm

Wind is never amazing in Thailand. If you are lucky you'll be able to get out on something like a 12 in the afternoons. But, that said, Hua Hin has lots of cheap and decent options as far as places to stay and its all very easy.

shifty
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Whole South Coast, anything around Portsmouth although I'm on a years travelling adventure so trying to hit anywhere and everywhere!!

Postby shifty » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:37 am

Think we are going to swerve Pranburi now and going to head straight down to Koh Phangan now to hit the half moon party! We have a 12m kite bought especially for Thailand and Bali so I think we should be ok from what I have been told.

Thanks for your advise.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:25 am

The wind should be on the other side at Phuket.
Also some schools/shops there.

Check on www.splocs.com for loc info

supachip1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: south coast uk

Postby supachip1 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:21 pm

i came to thailand(hua hin)with a 9,12m and HAD to buy a 15m because i was fed of of sitting on the beach all day watching all the 50kg thais kiting!!, i think the wind has been pretty poor here compared to last year.

some info for phagngan

mac bay backpackers in ban tai have nice cheap old style bungalows right near the kite beach for 250bt(£5)ask for mel(+66843063192)? also near 1-2 kite school (ask for sam), they also hold 'black moon party' there but i dont know the dates (same full moon party but minus dick heads)
blue lotus have nicer cheap bungalows 400bt?, 5 min walk up beach but very nice quiet and clean, ask for pong or shauna.(+66818953894)
power beach is where kba kite from(depending on wind direction) but the resort is mega expensive for food, guess rooms are the same
you can call mica at KBA very heplfull guy(+66806000573) for any lessons, rental, etc etc

hope some of this was helpfull

getting windy in phuket so i've been told

ChickenTikka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Thailand
Bol, Croatia
Mui. Ne Vietnam
Tarifa
Leucate
Gear: Looking to change up!

Postby ChickenTikka » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:04 pm

According to wind guru it's windy as hell in both Hua Hin and Phuket these days. I'm not sure I trust their forecasts for the region as they have been dead wrong before (and usually are in Asian countries).

Anyone there? I'm assuming its raining like Hell?

Return to “Travel”