Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Whats the stupidest kiting thing yourve done?

Forum for kitesurfers
droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Re: Whats the stupidest kiting thing yourve done?

Postby droffats » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:23 am

....read an Epic thread.

sojopo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tawas, Metro Beach, Michigan, USA
Favorite Beaches: Tawas
Style: noobie
Gear: 12m Cabrinha Convert, OR Mako King
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby sojopo » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:24 am

voodoospirit wrote:-
-had to make a fast break but didn t want to land my PL kite, i saw the rottweiler of a friend around), i attached the CL to the harness of the dog, trimmed the kite and let it on autozenith mode...went to my car to get a drink, saw the dog running around with the kite over it...a gust came, the dog got lifted , my friend and me rand after the dog which was drifting with the kite... it landed on its own when the gust passed... 40m further.. he ran back to us with the kite over it....
OK, now that's funny. Necessity is the mother of invention!

Mine, didn't look when downlooping and snagged a windsurfer about 3' above his head on the mast. Apologized like crazy when I found him on the beach. I sure always look now. Could have decapped that dude.

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:37 am

Going out in 50+knts with a 3mts kite.
survived and got a bit smarter.
Nico

The Captain
Frequent Poster

Postby The Captain » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:55 am

Voodoospirit...I too have forgot to re-attach my leash after flipping my bar through to sort out crossed lines.

That is a moment I will never forget...the eerily peaceful stillness as a stood in waist deep water with my hands on my hips and watched my kite fly off like a helium balloon escaping from hell after I went to the safety to self-land the kite. :oops:

It was a foil, and it stuck to the water when it finally landed (+100m away), so thankfully it didn't keep flying away.
Big thanks to the kiter who grabbed it.

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ned Divine » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:15 am

The Captain wrote: It was a foil, and it stuck to the water when it finally landed (+100m away), so thankfully it didn't keep flying away.
Big thanks to the kiter who grabbed it.
Foils are loyal. A kiter's best friend. :allbegood: LEIs will abandon you when left without a leash. Now let's see what PMU has to say about that! :naughty:

kinibay kiter
Rare Poster
Style: wave

Postby kinibay kiter » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:41 am

crashed my kite near the shorebreak had to pull my QR ..got out to detangle my lines and had to detach my safety suddenly a 20 knt gust came through .... kite lifted off towards the dunes ....
trust me when that happens you lose all cool composure and that ended up in about a 2km sprint through the sand dunes thinking wtf have i done !

Younger
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dublin

Postby Younger » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:19 am

Wind had come up big. Got to the beach with kite low. Wanted to kill it. Put finger through the oh shit release on the back line and released the c-loop quick release. However.....forgot that my leash was still connected. FLY TIME!!!! Kite now looping dragging me down the beach on my belly by the leash and my finger. Kite finally crashed into some shallow water.

Lucky to still have finger. Just shows we need to rehearse these things as when the shit hits the fan, your reaction needs to be automatic and effective.

crash&burn
Frequent Poster

Postby crash&burn » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:11 pm

getting scared on a small kite early in my kiting days. My nuts got sucked up into my body and have not come back. Now because I am chicken shit I only ride big kites and do the most ridiculous baton twirling "tricks" and wonder why the rest of the kiting world isn't stoked on it. Those small kites are scary!!! Now I start threads like Best Kiteloop Picture and have nothing to contribute.

snowspider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: trying sylvan in 09
tug hill 09
Style: beginer
Gear: 2m , 3.6m , 5m , 9m foils ,,, 7+10m slingshot turbo diesle's
ski boards and home made "snow spider"

Postby snowspider » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:31 pm

Concentrating on giving a "high five" to a passing kite buggier did'nt notice my kite dropping, the lines riped the visor off his passagers helmet. I thought for sure we would be performing life saving proceedures.

antatack
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Quebec, Canada
Gear: SlingShot Fuel/Octane

Postby antatack » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:56 pm

1st time I launched an inflatable kite, crashed it into a fence and then into some bushes which pierce the bladder in a million tiny needle size hole.

got hit by a big wave and got push over my bar in between the lines, so my depower line was twisted around the bar, lucky I was underpower and close to the beach.

leaving a 7m on the beach when it was nuking with nothing on top of it, kite end up flying in a park car.

Lost a board when going out in a crazy gusty day, the board drifted away with the tide(current)

Return to “Kitesurfing”