Forum for kitesurfers
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Props to Naish and Venturi questions

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:57 am

Discovered today that all the Naish gear at the local club rooms is NOT the personal stash of the Master of Disaster but has actually been provided as demo gear; an all-at-one-place kind of thing for people in the general area to try Naish gear.

Good on ya, Naish :thumb: Chargers & Parks to fly, TT boards and ... a full set of 2012 Venturi :o

After I found that out, I asked Mr Miyachi if I could use (what I thought was the only) Venturi and he said why don't we unwrap the biggest size and set that up for you & your big feet? I was like yeah ok then :lol: So next time the wind's light, I got me a ride on the 190x70 (?) Venturi!

Now the questions ... I haven't ridden anything with more volume than my Airush Square One before - what do I need to know, going from TT's to the big race board? Is it going to be a frustrating transition? What do I need to watch out for so I don't mangle myself or the board?

Thanks in advance :jump:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Props to Naish and Venturi questions

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:22 am

A few things are good to know:

Be careful when you are in the water, waterstarting - as the fins are REALLY deep and can cut you and your suit :wink:

So if you got a bit of power in the kite, you can not just "fool" the board around in place like used to - if you are on the "windward" side of the board.

Also, you got to ride the board and initially make yourself and the rear foot "weightless", both feet in the straps - all weight on your front foot, and go a bit downwind - to get it up and planing.

Then you move your weight to the rear foot instead, and push the fins hard - and keep the board quite flat.

Sounds like a "small thing" - but I see many coming from TTs and surfboards, that "kills" the raceboard - instead of getting yourself weightless, and THEN you can push and "step on it" :thumb:

When jibing, dont go with too much speed - as the edges and fins will catch and you go down :roll:

Have fun - and it is VERY different from anything else, so might be frustrating to start with :D

- Peter

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:29 am

Thanks Peter :allbegood:

Still warm here, it's shorts and t-shirt weather still. Well for me anyway ... the locals are all in wetsuits again :o once it drops under 30 degrees C, they start moaning about the cold :lol:

When you say "push the fins", do you mean push parallel to the water, across the board as it were ... or down into the water with my heel?

Jibing :lol: I think I'll be falling over and resetting back the other way for now :D

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:45 am

Kamikuza wrote:Discovered today that all the Naish gear at the local club rooms is NOT the personal stash of the Master of Disaster but has actually been provided as demo gear; an all-at-one-place kind of thing for people in the general area to try Naish gear.

Good on ya, Naish :thumb: Chargers & Parks to fly, TT boards and ... a full set of 2012 Venturi :o

After I found that out, I asked Mr Miyachi if I could use (what I thought was the only) Venturi and he said why don't we unwrap the biggest size and set that up for you & your big feet? I was like yeah ok then :lol: So next time the wind's light, I got me a ride on the 190x70 (?) Venturi!

Now the questions ... I haven't ridden anything with more volume than my Airush Square One before - what do I need to know, going from TT's to the big race board? Is it going to be a frustrating transition? What do I need to watch out for so I don't mangle myself or the board?

NICE!!! :thumb: :thumb: I've only been on the biggest size for a very short time, but have spent a lot more time on the medium size.

I think you'll be fine. The board feels like they want to stay flat, and that is exactly how you should ride them. The moment you try to ride it on the windward rail (like a TT), the board will not behave instead ride it flat. To get the best upwind angle, make the back straps super tight, push on the rail...it is like trying to ride the opposite rail. On a downwind run, stand with more weight on your backfoot sheet in and hold on for dear life. The 15 charger and medium Venturi will go FAST in 10 mph. The bigger will go even better upwind.

The first time it might be a good idea to have a little more wind. Get up on the board like you would on a strapless board, get the kite to pull you put of the water, then send forward. If it is light, put your backfoot in the center. Actually it might be an idea to keep your backfoot in the center the first session...for real upwind the strap needs to be on the rail. The boards have a lot of volume so you can almost balance on them.

Apart from that have fun and report back. :-) Btw. make sure you pay attention the angle and speed in which you can go upwind. It is UNREAL.

Oh and if you can tack the board this side of xmas I'll be pissed off. It is taking me a long time to get any kind of consistency going on the tacks.

snobdr
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Atlantic City
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby snobdr » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:02 pm

Boy for someone who talked a lot of shit on LEIs you sure do jump on the bandwagon really quick.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:59 am

tautologies wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:Discovered today that all the Naish gear at the local club rooms is NOT the personal stash of the Master of Disaster but has actually been provided as demo gear; an all-at-one-place kind of thing for people in the general area to try Naish gear.

NICE!!! :thumb: :thumb: I've only been on the biggest size for a very short time, but have spent a lot more time on the medium size.

I think you'll be fine. The board feels like they want to stay flat, and that is exactly how you should ride them. The moment you try to ride it on the windward rail (like a TT), the board will not behave instead ride it flat. To get the best upwind angle, make the back straps super tight, push on the rail...it is like trying to ride the opposite rail. On a downwind run, stand with more weight on your backfoot sheet in and hold on for dear life. The 15 charger and medium Venturi will go FAST in 10 mph. The bigger will go even better upwind.

The first time it might be a good idea to have a little more wind. Get up on the board like you would on a strapless board, get the kite to pull you put of the water, then send forward. If it is light, put your backfoot in the center. Actually it might be an idea to keep your backfoot in the center the first session...for real upwind the strap needs to be on the rail. The boards have a lot of volume so you can almost balance on them.

Apart from that have fun and report back. :-) Btw. make sure you pay attention the angle and speed in which you can go upwind. It is UNREAL.

Oh and if you can tack the board this side of xmas I'll be pissed off. It is taking me a long time to get any kind of consistency going on the tacks.
Thanks for the tips!
I'm guessing you mean Naish Charger and not Peter Lynn Charger, although I think that'd be an awesome kite for a fast board too :D
snobdr wrote:Boy for someone who talked a lot of shit on LEIs you sure do jump on the bandwagon really quick.
Give it up & relax dude - you'll get ulcers.

snobdr
Frequent Poster

Postby snobdr » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:29 am

Give what up bro? You were the one talkin crap. Cant even stick to your guns. Whats next? Going to tell us how some local has North kites and how great they are? No No you met PMU and hes a really nice guy and knows alot about kites! Yea thats it.
Last edited by snobdr on Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:34 am

snobdr wrote:Give what up bro? You were the one talkin crap.
Trying to start pointless arguments. Like this one. :allbegood:

snobdr
Frequent Poster

Postby snobdr » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:46 am

Im not starting an argument. Just stating facts.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:55 am

Kamikuza wrote: Thanks for the tips!
I'm guessing you mean Naish Charger and not Peter Lynn Charger, although I think that'd be an awesome kite for a fast board too :D
Yes I was, but you might be right, however I know nothing about the PL kites. :-)

In any case, focus should be to ride the board flat. On smaller board, like the smallest venturi, you can ride it 'almost' flat. On the bigger boards. You ride them flat. :-)

Push on that back foot.

Return to “Kitesurfing”