Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Switch Kites Nitro vs Cabrinha Switchblade?

Forum for kitesurfers
magnil
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sweden
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Switch Kites Nitro vs Cabrinha Switchblade?

Postby magnil » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:48 pm

Has anyone tried both and can give a verdict? Was thinking of buying a Switchblade but realized I can get two Nitros for appr. the same price. Also wonder if I can use a Cabrinha IDS bar with the Nitro? Read somewhere that they might do some upgrade to Nitro to make it easier to launch, anyone know when?

But main question: How is the Nitro compared to the Switchblade?

wardr77
Medium Poster
Local Beach: UK Camber , Whitstable. Southcoast in general
Style: Freeride
Gear: Nobile / Slingshot

Re: Switch Kites Nitro vs Cabrinha Switchblade?

Postby wardr77 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:53 pm

magnil wrote:Has anyone tried both and can give a verdict? Was thinking of buying a Switchblade but realized I can get two Nitros for appr. the same price. Also wonder if I can use a Cabrinha IDS bar with the Nitro? Read somewhere that they might do some upgrade to Nitro to make it easier to launch, anyone know when?

But main question: How is the Nitro compared to the Switchblade?
The Nitro is an old 'C' kite that will actively try to kill you; the Switchblade is a later SLE style of kite that won't. Go for the Switchblade if you don't want to get hurt, the newer the model the safer it'll be. Kitesurfing is a potentially dangerous activity, get lessons if you're new to this sport, its essential.

MUDSUX
Medium Poster
Local Beach: COCOA BEACH
Gear: NAISH, CABRINHA

Postby MUDSUX » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:39 pm

He's talking about the nitro from Switch kites not the old Cabrinha nitro. Switch is a new kite company.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:20 am

I'm guessing yes to the bar ... the Switch bar doesn't seem to use a lot of travel when released to the safety, so with IDS you should be good to go.

Can't comment on the Nitro, but the Switchblade 14 I rode the other day had immense bar pressure - worse than my Flysurfers and as bad as my Crossbow 16 and that's pretty bad ... I don't get why 90% of people who have Cabrinha here have Switchblades ...???

SimonP
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rotorua Lakes, Maketu, NZ
Favorite Beaches: Aotea, Maroochydore, Faro, Aitutaki
Style: Foiling, free-style, waves
Gear: J-shapes foil, Switch kites, Underground twintips, misc surfboards.

Postby SimonP » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:24 am

I saw the recon safety system malfunction on a Cabrinha Nitro once, very scary :-o

Back on topic, I'd be more inclined to compare a Switch Nitro with a Cabrinha Crossbow, the Cabrinha Switchblade sits further back in the wind window and is a bit less high performance.
I don't know what a modern Crossbow is like, the older ones tended to back-stall when you unhooked; the Nitro won't do that.
I'd expect the Nitro to be better upwind and faster than a Switchblade and have less pivotal turning. The Switchblade is arguably a bit mellower and user-friendly though. Both are good kites.

BigZ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Central California Coast
Favorite Beaches: Jalama Beach
Style: Surf
Gear: Wave kites,
Surfboards, surfboards, and more surfboards ...

Did I say surfboards ?

Postby BigZ » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:56 am

I have Nitro 14m and used to have Switchblade 14m (2010) so the comparison is only valid for the older SB. Nitro is faster, turns faster and pulls hard through the turns (kind of like C kite). Bar pressure is very similar - heavy. Nitro sits more forward in the window and goes upwind better. Boost and hang time are better - similar to Crossbow. Power is similar but you get it to it differently. Switchblade is park and ride. You have to actively fly Nitro to get the same power. As a result top end is better on Nitro. Nitro is definitively more difficult to relaunch in light winds. In strong winds relaunching is not a problem. Switchblade was more stable. It never fell of the sky while with Nitro you have to be very careful in shifty, gusty winds. In my opinion, Switchblade is more user friendly, forgiving and easy to fly kite. Nitro is higher performance but more demanding.

magnil
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sweden

Postby magnil » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:03 pm

Maybe the Switch Kites Method is more comparable to the Switchblade? I am a beginner and have bought a Switchblade 2009 12m and used it a couple of sessions. Thought I should buy a new Switchblade 12m this spring but realize you need at least two different kite sizes which will be expensive if I go for new Cabrinhas.

Return to “Kitesurfing”