naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Switchkites Method 5 m in epic winds

Postby naishdude » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:23 am

Ok so finally got my 5m Switchkites method tested.
I have 78 kg and ride a strapped surf 6'1.
The wind was epic for us, choppy waves , really bad and wind from 35 to 45 knots, then falling back towards 28 knots...
The kite worked perfectly, I had it like 15cm depowered in the gusts, lukly the condions improved, but went up to a nearly 38 to 40 knots, with gusts way over it.
Again , enough depower to handle your jibe safely, in a gust, it smoothly build up the power and goes pretty far in to the windwindow, but I lke it sooo much smooth but fast turning, never having to look where the kite is, immediat but not brutal respnse on your steering actions and so on , I can only advice every wave/ directional kiter to have a test on these SWITCHKITES Method!!

Frank L.

Tightlines
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Switchkites Method 5 m in epic winds

Postby Tightlines » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:47 pm

Well I have got close on ten kg on you Naishdude, approx 85kg ATM, but have had several sessions on the 5 and can tell you that on a strapless BWS 5'9" Drifter the 5mtr only needs about 25knots to be serious fun (but 30knts is even better). Yes you have to work it a bit to get back upwind at 25kt but when you drop into a wave you can really surf the wave because you can easily put the kite wherever you want and shut the power off completely when slotted, yet have the power on hand in an instant if you need to make a section.....awesome kite!!!!! :thumb:

As a long time surfer I hate being overpowered when on a wave yet still want to get back to the take off point as quick as I can, it blows me away how well this kite trucks back upwind when you get used of how to get the most out of it by working it.

JamesVegas
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby JamesVegas » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:02 pm

I'm afraid Dimitri has trademarked the word Epic!

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Spain
Danemark
France
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5

Postby naishdude » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:45 am

Tightlines wrote:Well I have got close on ten kg on you Naishdude, approx 85kg ATM, but have had several sessions on the 5 and can tell you that on a strapless BWS 5'9" Drifter the 5mtr only needs about 25knots to be serious fun (but 30knts is even better). Yes you have to work it a bit to get back upwind at 25kt but when you drop into a wave you can really surf the wave because you can easily put the kite wherever you want and shut the power off completely when slotted, yet have the power on hand in an instant if you need to make a section.....awesome kite!!!!! :thumb:

As a long time surfer I hate being overpowered when on a wave yet still want to get back to the take off point as quick as I can, it blows me away how well this kite trucks back upwind when you get used of how to get the most out of it by working it.
Unfortunatly we do not have your conditions, we only have waves the same direction as the wind, which means you need some power to get through, but I can agree that the Methods are pretty powerfull if needed, my range is 9 7 5m, which means that I can get going from aroun 13 / knots to...
Yeasterday I had my 7m Method Switchkite out...when the wind picked up with a lot..I went back to the beach and changed the powerlines to the second knot in the line meaning giving it more depower....and...I did not have enough power...so this kite can be flown very high in the wind/knots window, just went back changed it again and gave it some depower...

Just love the kites !! I do hope the Switch filosofy will work and they get a fair chance in this difficult market!!
Have fun!
Frank L.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Spain
Danemark
France
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5

Re: Switchkites Method

Postby naishdude » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:50 pm

Switchkite in action in moderate wind...still a great kite!

Return to “Reviews”