jaysen5
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sero & taurama Beach
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Airush on the right track with the One kite

Postby jaysen5 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:04 am

if you plan on leaving your One on the beach for a while, just deflate the single strut, the canopy will just lay flat on the sand and not flap about. takes 3 seconds to re inflate the strut when you want to head back out. simple effective way to increase the life of the TE.

AndKite
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, waves

Postby AndKite » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:11 am

jaysen5 wrote:if you plan on leaving your One on the beach for a while, just deflate the single strut, the canopy will just lay flat on the sand and not flap about. takes 3 seconds to re inflate the strut when you want to head back out. simple effective way to increase the life of the TE.
Seems like a good solution! Deflating the LE is annoying, as it is HUGE.

Telekiter
Frequent Poster
Gear: Kites:
-7.5 m, BEST kahoona -09
-9 m Switch Element -12
-13 m Switch Element -12
-17 m Blade Fat Lady -11
-10 m, FS Psycho3, -08

Boards:
-OR Mako 150x40.
-OR Mako King 165x44
Brand Affiliation: Switchkites Team rider.

Postby Telekiter » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:48 am

Hey thanx for the feedback. My experience with kites is that the "high performance" kites is very over rated. I have had some waroos, BEST Nemesis, Naish Helix, etc. and it makes me even more convinced that the rider has to be VERY skilled to make use of the "extra" jumping performance compared to a kite with less AR (delta shapes etc). I have been riding since 2003 (on water) but only 20-30 days/year so I´m possibly an intermediate rider but right now my preffered kite is my Vari Vulcan 10.5 (Delta) with a target market of rookies/beginners. There is only one thing I do not like, it is the bar forces, which are OK (almost) if I don´t have to wear gloves, btw I´m 90 kg and "normaly" fit. It jumps as high as I dare and turns fast once given proper input.

From the review from Wilduke it sounds like the "one" has the same carrateristics (appart from the bar forces) as my Vulcan, stable, safe, fast relaunch, no back stall, firm input = fast turning (otherwise doesnt move).

It realy sound like it could be a kite for my taste when I´m fead up with the barforces on my Vulcan. The downside is the sizes of the One. I realy would like a 10-10,5 m wich I believe is the go to size for us heavier guys. For us it is used in the same winds that a 9 m is used by a 70-75 kg rider. AND it would be a great one kite quiver for the missus at 60-65 kg (Board OR Mako 140x40). The Missus could possibly get a One 12 and sit out any winds over 20 knots :( Will the One 12 and One 6 have a bigg gap ?? Further what windrange can be expected from the One 9?

My experience with the Vulcan is that the stated windrange is that it REALY make a huge difference on the riders weight. Í have comfortably ridden the 10,5 in 30 knots, (very powered, but still comfortable) and that is waaaay above the stated Top End. What are your feelings on the One regarding this?

All tehbest. :thumb:

/Urban.

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness

Postby WildDuke » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:47 pm

I'm 93 kgs dry so almost the same as you, and the 9 meter is the only kite I have. I will ride when others are on their 12's and still be jumping. The bulk of that 9m is in the middle of the kite. If I were to give you a wind speed reference (even though I don't like using it as a gauge, 'cause wind of different temperatures have different amounts of 'grunt') I would ride on my 131x40 north team series with about 16 ish knots and can keep going till about 28 ish. The range is very good. The only reason I am going to buy a 12m is for the light Australian east coast winds we get and maybe to travel with through Asia. The 6 meter will be for when i go to sointh africa early next year. The 9m is all i need other than that. The kite is very light so is quite efficient. It is very grunty due to the fact that it is a very pronounced delta shape and because if the larger leading edge it drifts back into the power zone to it had a very good low end.

Love the suggestion about deflating the centre strut! Might give that a go tomorrow and will report back on my feeling about this.

I have been testing the Naish money shot board lately and really love it! I don't know if it's the way the board rides that I like of the effect it has on the kite that works so well, but it's like a match made in heaven. I am going to put my north up for sale and look into that of possibly a cabrinha custom if I can get a test ride. I know that's a little off kite topic, but I think certain types of board do work better with certain types of kites.

Telekiter
Frequent Poster
Gear: Kites:
-7.5 m, BEST kahoona -09
-9 m Switch Element -12
-13 m Switch Element -12
-17 m Blade Fat Lady -11
-10 m, FS Psycho3, -08

Boards:
-OR Mako 150x40.
-OR Mako King 165x44
Brand Affiliation: Switchkites Team rider.

Postby Telekiter » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:14 pm

mmmm..sounds like the One 9 has the about the same windrange as my Vulcan then, and could be a candiate for a "one kite quiver" for the missus (if even you at 93 kg can use it in about 16 knots/8 ms). She would possibly use it in anything above 6 m/s (in our could, dense winds) if it is not sensitive to oversheeting.

(Well, if she is underpowered she could always use my Blade Fat Lady 8) )

"Sit back in the window" you say, hmmmm, upwind ability is what comes to mind.

Any one knows if there are any improvements to the 2012 edition?

/Urban.

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One

Postby WildDuke » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:51 pm

Yep it's not an upwind rocket. You can easily hold your ground without thinking about it and you can obviously tack upwind which is what I do everytime I'm out since the wind where I kite is fully onshore, but its not an upwind rocket.

Well I've ordered the 2012 set and I'll sell my 2011 9 when they arrive, but honestly I really hope that they don't change too much. There is always the usual sales hype, more lowend more top end, more stable but faster tuning, Blaa Blaa Blaa. I like the graphics on the 2012 kites a little better. Similar, just a little more sophisticated. They have changed the bar slightly for 2012 and I'm hopefully going to demo a varial x today so I will let you know what I think of the new bar.

jaysen5
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sero & taurama Beach

Postby jaysen5 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:09 pm

you can see the 2012 One in this link along with the new lithium.

funny the new kites are already hitting the stores but nothing official from airush website.

http://www.oceanextremesports.com/blog/?p=353

Kyle_F
Frequent Poster
Style: All-around
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby Kyle_F » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:41 pm

Hey Jaysen,

The new site should be up by the end of the month.

singlemalt
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Many

Postby singlemalt » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:53 pm

I've had a couple sessions on the 2012 15m One and last night had the 9m One out to take some pics. I have to say the 15m is certainly much quicker and smoother than the 2011. The 2011 One had great low end and it seems the 2012 models have added performance along with that low end. I'm loving the concept and the simplicity. Like someone mentioned earlier, there really is very little need for a 'high performance' kite for the majority of riders. This thing is solid, stable, simple, drifts well, turns well and relaunches easy. :thumb:
Attachments
airush_one_9m-6330.jpg
Airush One 9m 2012
airush_one_9m-6327.jpg
2012 Airush One 9m
airush_one_9m-6343.jpg
Airush 9m One 2012

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One

Postby WildDuke » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:04 pm

Nice! I really like the black leading and trailing edges. The beachs where I kite often have black sand and are not the cleanest and trying to keep my current white leading edge from getting too stained is difficult!

Also glad that still have the ultra simple front bridle on the 9 m. I saw the photos of the 15m and noticed that it had the typical front bridle setup and was worried that it would carry through the rest of the range.

I got to try the 2012 bar yesterday and I gotta say that I like very much. Soo soo happy that airush have dropped the white and gone with the red. It's very striking and is much easier to identify! The PU coating on the main line works well and doesn't snag when trying to depower and turn at the same time which was my main concern. The stopper 'ball'. Also is new and works well too. Also I don't know
If this is something that was addressed or just cause i've got a bad one on my bar, but I felt that the main line swivel located just above the chicken loop was much easier to turn to untwist the front lines.

Return to “Kitesurfing”