Medium Poster
Local Beach: Marina di Grosseto
Style: Race
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help! Technique

Postby kito16 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:40 pm

Hello everyone, I wanted to ask advice on how to keep the board flat well .. is determined by the position of the straps?

Another big problem is the turn: tips on how to do it?

I ride a Airush Monaro v3

ChristoffM
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan and Cape Town.
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere in the Cape, South Africa.
Style: Hydrofoils! (And surf and old school)
Gear: Cape Town Foilboard and Spotz hydrofoils.
Any kite that can keep up with the hydrofoils.
Brand Affiliation: Cape Town Foilboards

Re: Help! Technique

Postby ChristoffM » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:32 pm

Manoro V3 should be easy to ride flat if I would guess? Just yesterday I got my home made board (tri-fin 70cm wide) riding on the leeward rail for the first time and the feeling is awesome! Very fast. It's the first time I am ridding my home made board with straps (that didn't break) and riding the board flat is automatic. If I put my feet in the foot straps it's impossible to not ride the board flat. Might be the position of my footstraps (very close to the rail), or the fin size (41cm windsurf fins).

I think my footstraps are too close to the rail though, because getting onto the board with both feet in is really difficult (sprained my ankle in a gust), but once going it is super. If you are cruising upwind but the board is not really flat, I think it's either your foot straps are not close enough to the rail, or your fins are too small? You also have to purposefully flatten the board with your feet initially as you start going to get it flat and get the fins to lift the board off the water a bit, but mine has the footstraps so close to the rail that I have to flatten the board just to balance while getting up. I don't know if that is how it is supposed to be?

May I ask a question: Are the footstaps used on newer boards loose like a surfboard (or the old North 2010 race ltd), or are they really tight like old windsurfboard straps where you only have your toes and part of your foot in? I have tight windsurf board straps on my board, which is probably why I battle to get up and riding in them (my feet almost hang off the side of the rail), but makes the board ride the leeward rail very nicely.

O and turning- the bigger boards are easier but I'm no expert. Check some older posts. Should be lots of info.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:30 am

keeping it flat is a function of all the details of the board design. I doubt the straps on any boards are too far out on the rail. My back heels are almost hitting water while riding.

Try to just push your toes down to the ride the board flat...sometimes I imagine almost pushing up the board from the windward rail and ride the leeward rail. Feet all the way out on the rail.

Fins are super important here. I tried some fins that were too soft, and the board rode horribly compared to almost the same fins made with m10..completely different feel and ride.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:51 pm

How long have you been riding the board?

I've had about 15 sessions on my Cabrinha Race Board now and am riding flatter and flatter every time I go out. At first I was digging in the heel side edge way too much. It takes some getting used to.

There are two moments, you have the moment between the kite force and the fins trying to flip you towards the toe-side. And the couneracting moment is you standing on the windward rail trying to flip you towards the heelside.

How big are the fins on the Monaro V3? The bigger the fins, the more the board wants to go to the toe side edge.

kito16
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Marina di Grosseto

Postby kito16 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:46 pm

i ride with my monaro only 3 times...
now i want to try to move the back straps more central (i have a big foot)..
now i have the standard fins in G10 28cm - 26 cm.. but i waiting new carbon fins 38 cm - 34 cm.. :D

what change if i move the straps more in front or more in back?

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:29 pm

These posts are helpful:

viewtopic.php?t=2372469&p=718161

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2372262

On the cheap durable raceboard post some are saying it's easier to learn with smaller fins before moving up to longer fins. I don't have any experience with longer fins myself.

Return to “Kitesurfing”