Favorite Beaches: Sanur Bali, Secret beach in Bintan
Style: Wakestyle, freestyle, freeride
Gear: Epic Renegade, Epic Screamer, Flysurfer Speed 3
Brand Affiliation: Epic, Ocean Rodeo, Flysurfer,
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Trainer kite to teach

Postby clubkite » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:31 am

The Flysurfer Viron is the best trainer kite ever made. It comes in 2.5, 4 and 6m. My school uses them exclusively. They are full four line trainers with pull-pull power strap. The Viron flies exceptionally well.

The true test of a trainer kite is how well it flies to the edge of the window. The Viron does this almost as well as a full size kite. Most other trainers do not fly very well at the edge of the window. Flying slowly through the entire edge of the window is one of our more important flying drills. Flying it and controlling the kite just above the water is another. Most trainers simply can't do this.

The bar of the Viron is of better quality than most full size kite bars. The quality and build is on par with any of the premium brand bars. All the lines, the materials is top notch.

The control bar works exactly as a full size kite. Relaunch is a little like a tube kite whereby you pull one of the back lines. However re-launching this kite is too easy and hence not so good for teaching. Usually when the student crashes the kite, we usually just tell them to wait for the kite to sort itself out. This is also now the case with the latest tubes.

The Viron is so good, we even use it to teach body dragging. And we start lessons right in the water as the Viron is really a mini foil kite.

Other trainer kites

1) HQ Hydra - Another good flyer but a little too powerful if the winds pick up
2) Ocean Rodeo Rise 2m - Doesn't relaunch well but is extremely fast and powerful. Really fun to fly. A great kite to for both students and experienced kiters.
3) 2 line foils - are really outdated, should't even be used for instruction any more
4) Land based traction kites - too powerful and you don't want them in the water

Get a Viron 2.5m for high wind places. For winds 10 to 15knots the 6m is better. the 4m is quite in between.

I highly recommend instructors to get the Viron. Its cost 5 to 10X as much as other trainers, but after students get off the Viron, they are so much more prepared to handle a full size kite. This means they crash your full size kites a lot less. The videos showing the Virons smashing into the water at full speed, well I see that all the time with my Virons.... no problem.

Cheers

sbkite
Rare Poster
Local Beach: www.sbkiteboardingschool.com
Style: waves

Postby sbkite » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:52 pm

clubkite wrote:The Flysurfer Viron is the best trainer kite ever made. It comes in 2.5, 4 and 6m. My school uses them exclusively. They are full four line trainers with pull-pull power strap. The Viron flies exceptionally well.

The true test of a trainer kite is how well it flies to the edge of the window. The Viron does this almost as well as a full size kite. Most other trainers do not fly very well at the edge of the window. Flying slowly through the entire edge of the window is one of our more important flying drills. Flying it and controlling the kite just above the water is another. Most trainers simply can't do this.

The bar of the Viron is of better quality than most full size kite bars. The quality and build is on par with any of the premium brand bars. All the lines, the materials is top notch.

The control bar works exactly as a full size kite. Relaunch is a little like a tube kite whereby you pull one of the back lines. However re-launching this kite is too easy and hence not so good for teaching. Usually when the student crashes the kite, we usually just tell them to wait for the kite to sort itself out. This is also now the case with the latest tubes.

The Viron is so good, we even use it to teach body dragging. And we start lessons right in the water as the Viron is really a mini foil kite.

Other trainer kites

1) HQ Hydra - Another good flyer but a little too powerful if the winds pick up
2) Ocean Rodeo Rise 2m - Doesn't relaunch well but is extremely fast and powerful. Really fun to fly. A great kite to for both students and experienced kiters.
3) 2 line foils - are really outdated, should't even be used for instruction any more
4) Land based traction kites - too powerful and you don't want them in the water

Get a Viron 2.5m for high wind places. For winds 10 to 15knots the 6m is better. the 4m is quite in between.

I highly recommend instructors to get the Viron. Its cost 5 to 10X as much as other trainers, but after students get off the Viron, they are so much more prepared to handle a full size kite. This means they crash your full size kites a lot less. The videos showing the Virons smashing into the water at full speed, well I see that all the time with my Virons.... no problem.

Cheers
Thanks

KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa Bay area
Brand Affiliation: School owner,Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Kiteboarding Association
Freak Dog Kites

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:15 pm

good review clubkite! I am also looking for a 4 liner to help them learn the sheeting, and was considering the Viron 6m or the HQ Apex 3 5m. There is only about 150 USD difference in the cost and Flysurfer quality is undeniable so I am leaning towards the Viron.

I have a few questions-
Any issues with the bridles getting tangled when crashing the kite?
How is the turning speed of the 6m. (Does it turn well, or is it a pig?)
Water relaunch capabilities- good or hype?

Appreciate the info!
www.kiteboardingtampabay.com

clubkite
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sanur, Bintan, Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Sanur Bali, Secret beach in Bintan
Style: Wakestyle, freestyle, freeride
Gear: Epic Renegade, Epic Screamer, Flysurfer Speed 3
Brand Affiliation: Epic, Ocean Rodeo, Flysurfer,

Postby clubkite » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:40 am

Hi

I have not flown the HQ Apex. So no comment here.

The Viron bridles never tangle... ever.

The re-launch of the Viron is excellent and I will elaborate on this. For full power leading edge crash, simply re-launch as per inflatable kites by pulling on either rear line. For stall crashes, usually because the student stalled the kite near the edge of the window, I simply tell the student to release the bar completely. I also explain that simply releasing the bar for most inflatables usually sorts out the problem. The Viron always sorts itself out. The Viron will usually catch wind again in about a minute of so and be ready for re-launch. For trailing edge on water, just pull center line and up it goes.

For turning speed, the Viron is worse than a pig. Its has the turning speed of a 16m in 10 knots of wind, maybe worse. Also changing direction close to the edge of the window, the Viron stalls and refuses to turn for a good few seconds. I use this opportunity to get students to push out the bar while turning.

After a good many crashes by students, The Viron is still in perfect condition. I don't worry about the internals tearing up. If they ever do, I'll post here. So far so good.

The Viron 6m is fantastic. We teach everything on it, slow flying, fast flying, crossed line flying, emergency drills, power strokes, body dragging. Especially important is getting the student to learn to automatically release the bar when being dragged or before a crash. In 12 knots, The Viron 6m will pull both the instructor and student. We then repeat the entire lesson with a full size kite. Everything is the same.

So although the Viron isn't perfect in all aspects of flying, it definately out scores many other trainer kites in many areas and in my opinion is the best trainer kite today. Spending a little more on the Viron will probably save you money because your students will crash your full size kites a little less.

KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa Bay area
Brand Affiliation: School owner,Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Kiteboarding Association
Freak Dog Kites

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:10 pm

Cool. I am hoping for slow and stable, not super-piggy, so maybe I'll get a smaller one.

I spoke with Kevin over at HQ Kites USA whom I had met at Surf Expo- he had me set up as a dealer and my first order on my doorstep within 36 hours of first contact. :clap:

Based on his awesome service, I am ordering the 5m Apex to try it out anyway and will report back on both kites after I fly them.

www.kiteboardingtampabay.com

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby rtz » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:07 pm

FYI: Some good deals on PL Impulse:

http://www.bigmikeskites.com/

snowspider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: trying sylvan in 09
tug hill 09
Style: beginer
Gear: 2m , 3.6m , 5m , 9m foils ,,, 7+10m slingshot turbo diesle's
ski boards and home made "snow spider"

Postby snowspider » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:00 am

I've got a 5m Apex II and 2 of the 7.5m. Myself, one of my kids and four neighbor kids (ages 12-14) fly the 5m regularly , the 7.5's are for me and one of the nieghbor kids. Absolutely great kites to learn on and when appropriate can be taken into gusty high wind conditions. My only concern and its been a fairly recent observation is that when pushing the limits of the kids and they get out of controll the little red top hat is somewhat out of a reach. I've got them all in fairly low slung rock climbing harnesses and when they are getting draged thru the grass it takes quite an effort for them to get to the release. If they were in a waist harness it may be completely out of reach. I'm tempted to tie some kind of extention to the top hat to bring it more in reach , have'nt yet thought it thru though. So beware of a possible reach issue with your smaller students or those with less exteem sport experience.

Silver Fox
Rare Poster
Local Beach: ALL
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with clean water and beautiful beaches
Style: ALL
Gear: ALL

Postby Silver Fox » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:37 pm

My favorite is the Epic trainer, is small & inflatable and set upto use like a big kite with 4 lines. It will also fly in 5mph so can get those ground lessons in on days when you normally can't. HQ makes a good one too, and the Air kite for 2/3 lines

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:23 pm

The original 3 line trainer kite, made by one of the best in the business Ozone Imp III, comes in 3 sizes 1.5/2.5 and 3.5M designed specifically for kitesurf training. The Imp III's do not fly and turn too quickly and the primary safety release simulates a real kitesurfing kite (let go of the bar).
Every person we take for boat lessons must put in 10-20 hours on a trainer before we take them for water based lessons. Every person benefits from flying trainer kites before taking kitesurfing lessons. Any school or instructor that does not give this advice is more interested in their own income that turning people into safe and competent learners.

For instructors looking for something more there is the inflatable 4 line Ozone Uno, I personally think this is a kite that every school should have.
Instructors can easily teach rigging, relaunch and demonstrate self rescue and pack down very easily on the beach before putting the student in the water on a full size kite.
The kite is a real inflatable kite surfing kite just scaled down and in flies really nicely on any 45cm 4 line bar, we find that 15 - 20M lines work best.

JollyGreen
Rare Poster

Postby JollyGreen » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:02 am

I found a used Ocean Rodeo 2m Rise Trainer kite on craigslist for about $200, I really like that as a trainer kite. It's just like a big kite, even has it's own strap/seat harness, so you can give people practice sheeting the kite in and out. My girl friend started on a two line trainer and did fine, but when she went for a lesson on a big kite, she would always sheet in too much. The 4-line trainer helped me quickly break her of that habit and now she is good! I've since taught my brother and father on the kite and they did fine. Kite works best in 15-20mph steady winds.

JG

Return to “Kitesurfing”