c kites (no pullies) that dont need depowering before unhook

Forum for kitesurfers
JGTR
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: c kites (no pullies) that dont need depowering before un

Postby JGTR » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:59 am

doggy wrote:Every kite on the market, C kite or bow/hybrid kite should not need to be depowered before you unhook if you know how to set up your kite correctly.

I see it at pretty much every location I have been to, 80% of the kitesurfers have their kites set up wrong whether it is over sheeted, tight/loose 5th line or something else, there is usually something wrong.
How can this be correct? People don't ride with their bar all the way in so have the kite set with the sweet spot usually up a few inches, if you unhook you then oversheet kite unless you depower??

Eg: I have my lines setup so that at full power my kites are slightly over sheeted. It allows me to find the sweet spot and control my kite better. Like most people I dont ride with the bar all the way in so it isn't a problem. I have to depower when I unhook.

There is alot of difference between kites and riding style plays a part. Some kites wil unhook well across a large depower range wheras some need to be set more accurately. Also if you do quick moves or ride downwind for a long distance you can hook back in before kite backstalls so no need to depower but if you hang onto the bar or crash alot trying new moves the backstalling is a major problem do you need to depower.

You can set your bar up for unhooked riding so you don't need to depower but it usually won't be very good for hooked riding. Ive brought kites from pros and the bars are always setup for unhooked i.e depowered

It depends on kite, rider and personal preference

TopHat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Localism is a Social Problem.
Style: Unknown to you...
Gear: A SURFBOARD
A FIXED PULLEY BAR
A C-KITE From a Company that Mocks Me
Brand Affiliation: No Brands or Tattoos
I BUY MY OWN...

Postby TopHat » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:45 am

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:02 am

I borrowed my friends old airush pulley bar for a session in WA. It absolutely rocked not having to adapt- same hooked in as unhooked! Unfortunately where I ride it is usually too gusty to make it fun, you gotta choose your unhooking moment carefully.

Noo Noo
Medium Poster

Postby Noo Noo » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:21 am

JGTR wrote:
doggy wrote:Every kite on the market, C kite or bow/hybrid kite should not need to be depowered before you unhook if you know how to set up your kite correctly.

I see it at pretty much every location I have been to, 80% of the kitesurfers have their kites set up wrong whether it is over sheeted, tight/loose 5th line or something else, there is usually something wrong.
How can this be correct? People don't ride with their bar all the way in so have the kite set with the sweet spot usually up a few inches, if you unhook you then oversheet kite unless you depower??

Eg: I have my lines setup so that at full power my kites are slightly over sheeted. It allows me to find the sweet spot and control my kite better. Like most people I dont ride with the bar all the way in so it isn't a problem. I have to depower when I unhook.

There is alot of difference between kites and riding style plays a part. Some kites wil unhook well across a large depower range wheras some need to be set more accurately. Also if you do quick moves or ride downwind for a long distance you can hook back in before kite backstalls so no need to depower but if you hang onto the bar or crash alot trying new moves the backstalling is a major problem do you need to depower.

You can set your bar up for unhooked riding so you don't need to depower but it usually won't be very good for hooked riding. Ive brought kites from pros and the bars are always setup for unhooked i.e depowered

It depends on kite, rider and personal preference

I agree unless you buy a load of different sizes so you have the option to suit conditions.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:08 pm

the topic now is back to the original questions.

Please keep it that way.

Thanks
Toby

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Hansen Design » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:09 pm

Clearly, from a technical view, any airfoil will stall at a critical (oversheeted) AOA - even with profile modifiers like LE slats, TE flaps and/or vents.

With kites, the optimal sheeting point for unhooked (but not overpowered) riding will be near but not quite at stall. The blend of design parameters which control the optimal sheeting point are distinct and variable from one kite to the next. A fairly subtle and inobvious mix of profile depth, entry angle, spanwise AOA and outline can have a dramatic outcome. That is, you can have two kites that look outwardly very similar, yet behave much different. In the end, a personal test with a properly tuned bar and kite is the only way to determine what suits you best.
Cheers! :thumb:
JGTR wrote:There is alot of difference between kites and riding style plays a part. -snip!- Some kites will unhook well across a large depower range wheras some need to be set more accurately. It depends on kite, rider and personal preference

Return to “Kitesurfing”