Kiteboardingasia (KBA) sells defect kites, don't ever buy

Forum for kitesurfers
alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Re: Kiteboardingasia (KBA) sells defect kites, don't ever bu

Postby alexrider » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:26 pm

dandaka wrote:
He was not really interested in having a working kite. Did he pay attention to Billie's suggestion on how to fix the problem in his other thread on the same topic?
Why should I ride on broken kite? Whom can I sell it? Don't be stupid.
If you fix it, it ain't broken anymore. :allbegood:
What was the idea; ride or sell the bloody thing?
Still no wind?

blueozone
Rare Poster
Local Beach: None... Its too cold!
Favorite Beaches: Tung Wa Laen Beach, Thailand
Gear: Epic Renegade 3G 9M
Nobile 555
Nobile XTR
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby blueozone » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:42 am

alexrider wrote:
Toby wrote:...
KTampaB makes the point clearly: "everyone is scrambling to make a buck and doesn't care WHO or HOW the kites are being sold". If that's true in the US it's even more so in Asian countries.
Anyone trying to make business here with - say - German business ethics will go bust within weeks
Never a truer word! That may well be why on the beach at Hua Hin wherever a competitor to KBA operates, KBA open up a marquee next to them and promises to undercut their prices, even if it means selling kites with their serial numbers cut of.

:nono:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:12 am

So who cut the tags off? When was it noticed?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:15 am

Kamikuza wrote:So who cut the tags off? When was it noticed?
I'm guessing the tags were taken off at the factory because the kite did not pass quality control....which means it is not a kite that should be on the market.

roux
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Pflugerville
Favorite Beaches: South Padre
Style: All

Postby roux » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:22 am

I can understand being upset about the situation. But the lesson to be learned is that as a consumer you need to think about more than the upfront price your paying. Certainly a dealer that is being shady and selling equipment without manufacturer warranties on the sly should be called on it.

Looking at KBA's Website (http://www.kiteboardingasia.com/index.php?id=1017) they claim the following:

"All of our gear comes with the original manufacturer guarantee, plus we will double the original warranty term from the manufacture by kiteboardingasia stores warranty! This feature dose not exist in any of the kiteboarding shops in the world !!!"

This doesn't seem to the be the case based on North's reply or the way this guy's deal went down and I can understand why he feels like he was mistreated by KBA.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:24 am

tautologies wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:So who cut the tags off? When was it noticed?
I'm guessing the tags were taken off at the factory because the kite did not pass quality control....which means it is not a kite that should be on the market.
That's the most logical answer... the other is that the OP cut them off to get around the warranty time limit but that would seem to be self-defeating.

So then how did the kite get sold by KBA?

Ron Segal
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hua Hin
Style: Freestyle

Postby Ron Segal » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:50 am

I think I can shine a little light on this story.

I live and kite in Hua Hin for years and I'm quite familiar with what is going on there in respect of Kiteboarding Asia (KBA) and the other kite shops & schools. First of all, this is not and isolated case. I have personally seen 2 other North kites bought from KBA with cut off serial numbers. KBA is long enough in the business to know exactly what this means: no kite brand will accept any warranty claim without the serial number and an invoice attached to it. So there are absolutely guilty for selling kites without a manufacturers warranty. Period. It does not matter if these kites are seconds or defects or copies or gray imports in that respect. There is no way to find out, but I suspect they are gray imports.

KBA has a long track record in Thailand to offer and sell gear without having a dealership for these brands. To name of few: North, Ozone, F-One, Naish, Slingshot. To my knowledge, the only kite dealerships they have are Cabrinha and Airush. All the foregoing kite brands have other (exclusive) dealers slash distributors in Thailand. So why is this happening? Everybody here knows well, that they continuously try to hurt their competitors in this market with unfair business methods e.g. by offering these brands for 'incredible' prices or publicizing they are the only IKO school and, and...the list is really long. So, some time ago they got caught with gray imports of F-One kites (with serial numbers). A kite brand can trace back with a serial number when/where the kite was manufactured and to whom it was delivered. If a gray import is traced back the company (in another country) it was originally delivered to is immediately in trouble. This is because, like with all other branded products, a distributor who secures rights is also restricted to sell only in the designated territory, normally a country. KBA has obviously sources with dealers in other countries for these brands. These dealers have, if they are not caught, the advantage of meeting their sales targets in a easier way, because they don't have to sell these kites themselves.

To secure a brand like e.g. North in Thailand (BTW the exclusive rights are with North Kiteboarding Club, Hua Hin) requires a substantial investment every year and you need to sell very well to make a living in the kite business. Of course, some (or many?) customers don't care and all what counts is to save somehow 100 bucks, because kite gear is anyway 'way too expensive'. I observed kiters trying out every kiteboard on the rag in legitimate shops, enjoying weeks of free service, counseling, tips, you name it and then walking off to KBA for a little discount. Sounds familiar? If yes, you got what you paid for I guess.

KBA's response is ridiculous. Sure, everybody who exposes these practices is a conman. Give me a break KBA, who are the cons here?? You are rightly reminded of the incredible 'double the warranty' offer publicized on your website: http://www.kiteboardingasia.com/index.php?id=1017 How about it? Probably your customers are just too stupid to understand: 2 times zero is zero! Of course, you sell these brands for incredible prices, but a single warranty claim you have to pay for yourself eats up the tiny margins left over from these sales of gray-imports, isn't it? Here in Hua Hin we are all rolling in the sand laughing!

Well, and then there is this comment in this thread 'there is no such thing as bad publicity'. Well yep, except there is Google. If I am Kiteboarding Asia I would be damn scared that the content this kinda bullshit produces is topping my website sooner or later. But carry on as long as you wish!

Best,

Ron

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:09 am

live and let live. otherwise you will be dead sooner or later. works everywhere in life.

And I am sure factories don't cut off serial numbers of defect kites and sell those. That would break contracts and cost them a lot of money.

Sounds like KBA should get their act together, stop what they do, accept their competition, maybe make 1000 bucks less now (you don't make much on a kite that cheap, no?), but gain 2000 bucks more at selling their official gear a bit more expensive and get respect back from people involved.
And enjoy live at Hua Hin with kiters and friends in a relaxed atmosphere...like e.g. on Boracay. All friends, all works, although lots of competition.

KBA, your move now.

dandaka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kaliningrad, Russia
Favorite Beaches: Boracay, Philippines / Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: unhooked / newschool / wakestyle
Gear: North Vegas 12m² 2012
North Vegas 9m² 2010
North Vegas 7m² 2010
North Team Series 131cm 2011
Mystic Warrior III Len10 2012

Postby dandaka » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:31 am

roux wrote:"All of our gear comes with the original manufacturer guarantee, plus we will double the original warranty term from the manufacture by kiteboardingasia stores warranty! This feature dose not exist in any of the kiteboarding shops in the world !!!"
It means my kite is still covered by KBA's warranty, since 6x2 = 12 months. :nono:

Raam, but why do you say about only 3 months warranty for my kite? Looks like all your warranty is free t-shirt :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin:
Well, and then there is this comment in this thread 'there is no such thing as bad publicity'. Well yep, except there is Google. If I am Kiteboarding Asia I would be damn scared that the content this kinda bullshit produces is topping my website sooner or later. But carry on as long as you wish!
Actually, it is already on 4th place on kiteboardingasia search in Google

If we all share this link in Facebook / Twitter, it will come second to official site. So people can read and make their own conclusions about KBA.
kba.jpg

dandaka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kaliningrad, Russia
Favorite Beaches: Boracay, Philippines / Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: unhooked / newschool / wakestyle
Gear: North Vegas 12m² 2012
North Vegas 9m² 2010
North Vegas 7m² 2010
North Team Series 131cm 2011
Mystic Warrior III Len10 2012

Postby dandaka » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:28 am

----
Last edited by dandaka on Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”