Survey - Lost my GoPro!

Forum for kitesurfers
JMF
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Survey - Lost my GoPro!

Postby JMF » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:26 am

Problem is the cheap ass plastic the housing is made off and the form format of the camera itself putting too much pressure on that joint, a stupid design if I've ever seen one. Was kitting with a mate last year and watched his GroPro get swallowed up in a lagoon after it broke. When you fall off and board hits water the shape of the camera being dragged creates to much pressure for that hinge to take. If it was made of some sort of ABS plastic instead of the hard clear type used in current housing I think it would fair far better. Problem is is would cost far more for the housing. The clear plastics kills two birds with one stone allowing for clear window for lens and the housing itself.

Stringy that is a brilliant idea you should really market that.

JMF
Frequent Poster

Postby JMF » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:26 am

Problem is the cheap ass plastic the housing is made off and the form format of the camera itself putting too much pressure on that joint, a stupid design if I've ever seen one. Was kitting with a mate last year and watched his GroPro get swallowed up in a lagoon after it broke. When you fall off and board hits water the shape of the camera being dragged creates to much pressure for that hinge to take. If it was made of some sort of ABS plastic instead of the hard clear type used in current housing I think it would fair far better. Problem is is would cost far more for the housing. The clear plastics kills two birds with one stone allowing for clear window for lens and the housing itself.

Stringy that is a brilliant idea you should really market that.

rodeoclown
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Carkeek Park, Seattle
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Blade, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Shop ambassador for Urban Surf in Seattle
Has thanked: 0

Postby rodeoclown » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:34 am

windpro wrote:I just lost mine - was in Hatteras in May and tried my new SurfHero mount on the nose of my windsurfer. Went about 30 seconds and the whole thing - mount and all - fell off!!?? I had a leash with a snap attachment but it just broke at the snap!?! It was very shallow so I searched back and forth for hours. Tried the next day too but no luck. Then at end of the 2nd day I made "one more attempt" ....... and FOUND IT!!???? Turned it on & it still worked! Got some great footage of the falling off & even some "interesting bottom footage" :)
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBqrIS0PpNM
(notice the fogging problem! another GoPro issue - they offer silica strips now)

I was impressed with the water-proofing - it sat on the bottom for over a day! GoPro sent me a new SurfHero mount - said the surface of my board should be sanded smooth. They say they are working on a float system! In the meantime I am using one of those foam floats for keys. I am also passing a thin but strong nylon safety leash around the bolt and securing it to "something" on the board, helmet, me, etc.
my solution for the fogging issue-
trying cooking those strips in the oven or a sauce pan on low heat and place the housing and camera in front of a fan to dry it out for 5-10 minutes before you pack it up. I've had 100% success using this type of method and no fogging. That darn humidity is invisible until it shows up as condensation!

harppa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Epic spots of the northshores of Finland
Gear: Eleveight kites, Brunotti boards, ION neoprene and Moses hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Running a school and importing Eleveight, Brunotti, Peter Lynn, ION, Shark SUP and few others.

Postby harppa » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:17 pm

Amazing story. We sticked gopro to a skimboard and when I was turning I kicked the cam off and dropped it to the bottom of the sea.
We tried to find it for hours with no luck but then after few days the guys went back to the beach to search it and they met a family at the beach who asked that were they looking for something. So the guys said they have lost a camera and well the family took a go pro from their pocket that "is this what you are looking for?" Their daughter found it from another side of the beach! Amazing luck.

At the end of last part you can see what happened :D

beju
Rare Poster
Local Beach: delray
Favorite Beaches: Hood river
Style: regular

Postby beju » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:06 pm

Check this blog they have the answer:

www.x-h2o.com

search following thread:

Life jacket for your GoPro...by Camfloat

It sells on ebay.
Attachments
CAMFLOATSavingHeros.jpg

Kite Kasia
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Irish West Coast,
Gear: North Evo 2011: 6m, 9m,
North Evo 2010: 12m
Nobile 666 - Womens edition 126/38
Cyclone Kitesurf board
Nobile Skimboard

Postby Kite Kasia » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:32 pm

pingo wrote:
ryanroberts1983 wrote:For those of you on the line mount make sure you are using the supplied gopro surf hero leash that comes standard from the guys at gopro. For those of you who are using the surf hero disk on your twin tip kiteboards, mount the disk near your fin box, remove a fin box screw and wrap the leash around the screw. Tighten it back down and you are set. Same setup on strapped surfboards, you just need to attach a line from the leash further up your board to where the camera is.

-Ryan @ kitehero / ikitesurf.com

How are you leashing the Cam with the Surf Hero Leash? Where is the leash attached at the Go Pro? Thanks
Any pics how to mount and leash kitehero? So it works and it's still safe for kiting of course :-)
Just got a gopro cam and few mounts and trying to figure it out... Was hoping for kite mount to arrive with some instructions or pics but it didn't...

MattyRossJa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Maiden Cay , Jamaica
Favorite Beaches: Maiden Cay , Bounty Bay , Round Hill , Pigeon Island (all jamaica)
Style: Freeride learning Freestyle
Gear: 2011 Cabrinha 10 Switchblade ... 2012 Cabrinha Chopstick

Postby MattyRossJa » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:45 pm

I lost mine kiteboarding , stupid didn't have the floaty back door ... but luckily the following morning i went out snorkeling with 2 friends to try and find it and we did , i knew the general area i wiped out and lost it ... since then i have taken extra measures to keep it tied to something ...

here's the footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWni7Q8Ubz0

Kite Kasia
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Irish West Coast,
Gear: North Evo 2011: 6m, 9m,
North Evo 2010: 12m
Nobile 666 - Womens edition 126/38
Cyclone Kitesurf board
Nobile Skimboard

Postby Kite Kasia » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:57 pm

cheers, but I'm looking for the pics and advice how to secure and safely place kite lines mount (on 5 line bar).

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:02 am

Leash... you don't need no stinkin' leash! :thumb: :lol:
Lost GoPro Found After 10 Months in the Ocean

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:14 am

Kite Kasia wrote:cheers, but I'm looking for the pics and advice how to secure and safely place kite lines mount (on 5 line bar).
Put a 1mm or so line through the hinge on the door, then loop around a power line loosely and tie it off...
Should be thing enough to slide under easily and breaking load is usually low enough to be safe for the camera but not be a risk to you.

I put one on a Speed2 with FDS "5th" line and it worked ok but I was concerned about pulled the safety and what may happen so I haven't done it since. Test it out in light wind with some helpers around...?

Return to “Kitesurfing”