Forum for kitesurfers
cadz
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Xenon Vidra 2012 Review

Postby cadz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:30 pm

We are down in Barbados and we got a perfect forecast with 3.5m waves and let me tell you that i was very happy with my first experience.

Vidra has good rocker and deep concave and this help you to have full control of your position in the wave. Even if you have a little bit of chop in the waves and it was still smooth in the bottom turn.

If you are look for a "real surfing experience" with a SOLIDE construction it's for you.

For the hard core with deep root surfer the board does not have the flex you have in more standard surfboard it's all about compromise but again most rider need a board that will not break.

eitan80
Frequent Poster

Re: Xenon Vidra 2012 Review

Postby eitan80 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:58 pm

I am Xenon affiliated, but
beyond what Cadz wrote, i will add:

The best Gun i ever rode, i am a quad surfer and usually where i ride there is no need for a gun
surf. This one is relatively fast turning, solid construction, super fast and great grip on the wave, especially good for our strong storms with lots of wind and big waves... in the rest of the time i ride the quad ("Prisma" by Xenon), but this Vidra really surprised me with the fun factor it gave.
FCS fins, 3 traction pads and a nice cleen looking bag comes with it.

Pic' attached, believe it or not- it ride even better than it looks !
Attachments
Xenon Vidra 6.1.jpg

dafish
Medium Poster
Local Beach: jervis bay nsw
Style: surf/ oldschool
Gear: xenon la luz
xenon Vidra
xenon Prisma
Brand Affiliation: small potato rep

Postby dafish » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:08 pm

I have no affiliation with Zennon, but I do have the Vidra, must be last years model because the deck does not have the stripe through the veneer.
What I really love about the board is the flex, closest board yet that I have found that rides like my surfboards. If they have changed that and made it stiffer for 2012 I would be a little disappointed. I have given my board a good hard caning since Nov when I first got it, and it still looks brand new. Have ridden it in two foot garbage, eight foot cross offshore walls, and everything in between. Sure it doesn't excel in the really small mushy stuff, but I can still ride it just fine. It just doesn't want to release on the top of small waves like a quad or fish would. I expect that though.
Mainly ride it strapless, but when I do put the straps on I do like to launch it off waves on the way out, or do a few simple airs moving over sections. The board has held up well.
Two negatives, the fsc fin grub screw holes are too soft and easy to strip, so be very careful threading for the first time.
Other complaint was the slight overspray on the deck. I was too eager to take it out so I never bothered sending the board back. I just live with it, but better quality control would be good. A board like this could have been discounted.
I live on the southcoast of NSW in Australia, we generally (though this year la nina has killed our summer breezes) get great year round wind and high quality surf. This board has filled or exceeded all my expectations.

kiteriding
Medium Poster

Postby kiteriding » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:18 pm

Laurent, j'en veux une, elle est tellement belle.. Viens nous donner un review sur notre forum français,
KiteForum.ca.

Have fun dans ton KiteTrip..

Aloha Stef :-)

eldadgold
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eldadgold » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:16 pm

Today we had a competition hosted by SurfHouse (owned by Leeshai Meeler) called Kiteopen 2012.
1st place took Ran Rave.
I have been at two PKRA wave events and this guy, Ran Rave, can easily compete for a podium at the highest levels.
The conditions were very difficult with a short closed wave and very gusty on shore winds.
Ran is riding a 2012 xenon board.
Here are a few pics:

After reading this topic i went and checked the housings and fins and seems that the guys at Xenon improved them.
Regarding the finish i can surely say the boards are AMAZING :!: The picture posted by eitan80 above shows it as well.

edited pic links
Last edited by eldadgold on Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

dafish
Medium Poster
Local Beach: jervis bay nsw
Style: surf/ oldschool
Gear: xenon la luz
xenon Vidra
xenon Prisma
Brand Affiliation: small potato rep

Postby dafish » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:49 pm

Aside from the slight overspray near the nose, the finish on the board is fantastic. I really hated putting the deck pads on because of the beautiful deck....
Glad the fin boxes got sorted....

Return to “Kitesurfing”