Forum for kitesurfers
kitelite
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Lightwind discusión

Postby kitelite » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:27 pm

Séb wrote:Yes, they are doing the 13-16-18 in LW version, 5 struts instead of 7. I heard also that they are faster this year, good news! I'd love to try the 18m to compare to the Epic Infinity and Speed3 21m.
Yes, I am vacillating between 2012 Cabrinha LW and Infinity or Fat Lady. No chance I can try all three so trying to find reviews and people's input.

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:23 pm

kitelite wrote:Yes, I am vacillating between 2012 Cabrinha LW and Infinity or Fat Lady. No chance I can try all three so trying to find reviews and people's input.
I am pretty sure that the Xbow 18m is a very nice LW kite but it will be slow and probably not as easy to relaunch as the Infinity because of the shape. If you don't want a Speed3 (either not your style, money, too slow, don't want foil, etc) then the Epic Infinity is very interesting. I have tried the Fat Lady too and it is similar in speed but it didn't had as much power than the Infinity V2. What I like with theses two tube kite is that they felt light in the air, stay up even in very light wind and are easy to relaunch. Sometime there was not enough wind to ride but at least the Infinity was up in the air ready to go as soon as I got 1-2 knots more. And once the wind increase a little more, you feel a lot more power and can soon start jumping.

Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Epic Kites and Arise and Hyperflex
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites and Arise

Postby Geronimo79 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:57 pm

The fat Lady is absolutely one of the better LE lightwind kites out there. And because it was so good Epic's awnser is the Infinity V2.

Havent tested the V2 yet myself. just got it in so cant wait to fly it. (112KG) so no idea what my lowend will be. The V1 was amazing strong. In 11/13 knots i had loads of power.

Like all kites TEST and you will know.
For an Infinity V2 best is to ask Dimitri personally if he can let you demo or something like that.

Also heared good things about the Fluid AV.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:32 am

On the same day, I've seen the Turbine, Zephyr and Fat Lady on the water... I would rank them in the order I listed as best to "worst" for staying upwind. There's not much in it though...

V2 is a grunt machine for sure and makes nice power through the turns which helps get the speed up - that's the best thing I noticed about it. Top end is a bit clipped, as D said - you won't be pushing it like you would a Zephyr. Or Speed3 :D

Throw another spoon in the gears - Griffin Argo 17 looks like a good priced kite that performs too...

Re. the Xbow - my 2010 16 is tough to relaunch in the lightest winds - almost impossible. But it's damned heavy, especially compared to the new kites like the Turbine...

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:45 am

this is a useless discussion without talking about what type of riding you want to do. I've seen the above mentioned kites in the water while I was riding powered on a charger not only because of the kite, but because I was on a raceboard...however to make the most out of a raceboard you are looking for a different kite than for freestyle...so any advice shouold also be mentioning what type of riding you want to do in the light wind...

unaitxi
Rare Poster

Postby unaitxi » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:08 pm

Well, tautologies, I am a 90kg guy with a Mako King, and my style is more old school oriented. I hope it helps to provide some clues or recommendation from your side.

Thanks...

Unai

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:34 pm

unaitxi wrote:Well, tautologies, I am a 90kg guy with a Mako King, and my style is more old school oriented. I hope it helps to provide some clues or recommendation from your side.

Thanks...

Unai
Ok..sorry I didn't mean to be so crass. I would say then, that kites like the ones mentioned in the thread could work. If you for instance were into racing and someone recommended a low aspect kite, then it would not make sense. I would worry a little getting kites that are super grunty for old school as making then jumping high is hard...or that is I experience it as hard. For that you could still get a High AR kite, but those kites in general will turn slower, and not be super fun if you are into free style oriented riding.

My personal liking is for free riding I like medium grunty kites, medium aspect...kites that mix upwind and grunt with "fast" turning. I think that epic kites fits that bill, but I am not going to buy it. Even if I can use my Charger in light winds with a TT and have tons of fun, I generally prefer the 14 Park it goes early turns fast, and jump really well. I do really enjoy raceboards as they make those marginal days fast and powered so if I am on the side of the island where that is usable I will go on that board...

Well..when that is said, it is hailing in Hawaii so I guess anything could happen.

prelives
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ventura,CA
Favorite Beaches: El Yaque, Venezuela
La Ventana
Emma Wood
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 12m, 9m, 7m - 2017
Cabrinha Contra 15m 2015
Cabrinha Tronic TT, BRM Paipo, Tomo Evo

Postby prelives » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:34 am

TURBINE VS FAT LADY

Today there was only two of us on the water. It started out 10-12 knots when we entered.

Me: 6 months experience - def a beginner. Weight: 170 lbs. - Turbine 17m + Flydoor XL 2011
The other guy: 5+ years experience weight: 180-190lbs. - Fat Lady 17m + fish style surf board (approx 6')

For 10 minutes I was staying up wind well and feeling decently powered. Then wind dropped to 8-10 and I could no longer stay upwind and after a few more tacks headed for shore.

He never made it upwind and slowly went down the beach and down wind. Ended up way down from me. We headed for shore at the same time after about a 20 minute session

In this head to head battle, given my lack of experience and success getting up wind early on I'd definitely call the Turbine the WINNER!!

-Scott

Pilsner14
Rare Poster

Postby Pilsner14 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:57 am

You're a winner alright!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Again........yawn. Such a overblown topic. Like you got 1-2 km windspeed better lowend....maybe. They are all good. Just go kite.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:11 pm

Pilsner14 wrote:You're a winner alright!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Again........yawn. Such a overblown topic. Like you got 1-2 km windspeed better lowend....maybe. They are all good. Just go kite.
Nobody forces you to lurk in a thread that has "Lightwind" in its title as a warning! Even less to post in it. Just go kite, Pilsner14.1 knot can make the difference between you sitting on the beach or having a nice sesh out there.
:bye:

Return to “Kitesurfing”