acctx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lake travis
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Which surfboard to get?

Postby acctx » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:00 pm

Top priority is sailing gulf coast mush waves. Typical are 4-7 feet with 4 feet being more typical.
Second priority is light wind
Third priority is getting that windsurf feeling of riding the fin instead of the rail

Im 5' 9", 175

Kiteboarding.com has closeouts on

1) naish custom global 6'
2) cabrinha nugget ($199!)
3) naish custom fish 5' 4" or 6 ft
4) airrush chop top 5' 3" and 5' 8" LW

Im leaning towards the airrush chop top 5' 8" LW will that be ok?

Ive never surfed before but caught a few waves this weekend on my 163 cm flydoor which was fun.

kitecozumel
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: all Cozumel locations
Favorite Beaches: anywhere with wind and waves
Style: professional
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot

Re: Which surfboard to get?

Postby kitecozumel » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:12 pm

If you're going for that wsurf feel , then go naish, that's Robby background and his gear is well experienced :thumb:

acctx
Frequent Poster

Postby acctx » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:49 pm

kitecozumel wrote:If you're going for that wsurf feel , then go naish, that's Robby background and his gear is well experienced :thumb:
isnt airush starboard?

Dont know about the airush designers though

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:17 pm

acctx wrote:Top priority is sailing gulf coast mush waves. Typical are 4-7 feet with 4 feet being more typical.
Second priority is light wind
Third priority is getting that windsurf feeling of riding the fin instead of the rail

Im 5' 9", 175

Kiteboarding.com has closeouts on

1) naish custom global 6'
2) cabrinha nugget ($199!)
3) naish custom fish 5' 4" or 6 ft
4) airrush chop top 5' 3" and 5' 8" LW

Im leaning towards the airrush chop top 5' 8" LW will that be ok?

Ive never surfed before but caught a few waves this weekend on my 163 cm flydoor which was fun.
For the things you mention I would say Naish Fish 6'0'' great for light wind..the quad with channels makes it work in a wide variety of conditions...and you get bag with it. :-)

Those waves are perfect for it. surfy board. The 5'8'' was my favorite that year...I rode the shit out of it....sold it, and now the new owner is riding it every session.

For the windsurf feel i think you need to move towards a raceboard. You can push on your toes on the surfboard, and it does work, but not as well as a raceboard :-)

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:04 pm

kitecozumel wrote:If you're going for that wsurf feel , then go naish, that's Robby background and his gear is well experienced :thumb:
Dude that makes no sense to me.

Naish have a full line of boards that have virtually nothing to do with windsurfing whatsoever.

TT's input pretty much covers the rest. I'd go surfboard for small waves, but if your really wanting a windsurf lock and load up the fin kind of feel then its a raceboard. Go the wave route. way more fun IMHO.

acctx
Frequent Poster

Postby acctx » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:31 pm

Starsky wrote:
Dude that makes no sense to me.

Naish have a full line of boards that have virtually nothing to do with windsurfing whatsoever.

TT's input pretty much covers the rest. I'd go surfboard for small waves, but if your really wanting a windsurf lock and load up the fin kind of feel then its a raceboard. Go the wave route. way more fun IMHO.
the windsurf feel is the least important. Wave surfing is the most important. so maybe make suggestions based on just the first priority from the above list.

tomashh
Rare Poster

Postby tomashh » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:10 am

Hi,

did wave-windsurfing for more than 15 years on the north sea (St.Peter Ording). After riding 10 years TT, I bought a North Wam 5.10 and I´m very satisfied about the surf-feeling. And it ist more radical than all the winfsurf-boards I had. You ´ll get the 2011 model for a good price (so it is here in Germany), some guys (the heavier one´s;)) prefer the Xsurf from North, because it is bigger.

Aloha

Thomas

Return to “Kitesurfing”