Forum for kitesurfers
dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A
Has thanked: 0

Re: Do people hate cabrinha?

Postby dyyylan » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:14 pm

alexeyga wrote:dyyylan,
It sounds like you've never had to un-spaghetti your lines, because when this happens, 2 white lines + 1 red + 1 blue is a hell of a lot easier to untangle than 4 same-color ones. Nevermind self landing/launching in water. And i've personally been once in a "i'm so fu$ked!!!" situation where being able to distinguish back lines from front lines has saved my butt!
I've had to unspaghetti my lines once when some kook crashed his kite into mine, and it was fairly simple because cabrinha uses gray lines for the rears and red for the fronts.

I too had one or two "I'm so fucked" moments when I was learning, but don't worry you'll learn how to ride better eventually. Some pros even manage to ride without functioning safety systems at all!

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:46 pm

Lol, quite honestly i'm a good enough rider to go out with a non-functioning safety my self. But my ex while learning to kite was flagging the damn thing every frigging time she felt anyhow out of control (that's what happens when you tell to a total noob that whenever he/she feels in danger - just pull the red handle!), and in a course of a good day that accounted for about a dozen of solid spaghettis and trust me - I was really thankful to have color-coded lines! )))

DocDeuce
Medium Poster
Local Beach: IOP, Sullivans Island, Folly Beach
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby DocDeuce » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:17 pm

I think there are haters of all the brands out there. you cant please everyone.

My first two kites were Cabs, a 13CB and 10SB. Why did i buy them and not another brand? cabs is what i took my lessons on, all that I knew, decent safety system. I now have a couple North kites, still have my 13 CB (Love it still). I replaced my 10SB with a 10 Slingshot RPM. My riding has changed especially in 25+ winds and i like the RPM better than the SB.(bar pressure and turning speed for a couple reasons)

I think all in all, I was happy with the cabs. As i became a better kiter, and kited different conditions, and was exposed to different brands... I moved on. Doesnt mean i hate anything. Just prefer one kite for a certain set of conditions to another.

geopeck
Frequent Poster

Postby geopeck » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:19 pm

dyyylan wrote:Lack of color coding on the bar? One side is black, the other side is red. What more do you want a giant sign that says THE BAR IS THE WRONG WAY MAKE SURE YOU TURN IT THE OTHER WAY YOU FUCKING KOOK

dyyylan - a few brands had non-existant or very light color markings until recently, not talking about Cab on this point. And I have to laugh about this a little bit because I see you're calling it kooky, but yes, I do want to teach and ride with a bar that says "wrong way" in large letters in the back. I want riders to have every advantage possible the first time they find themselves disoriented after they have lost control of the kite, and I think that bold print (in addition to color coding) is going to be registered before color coding alone. What is the downside to having robust and simple safety features? Too many people learning and enjoying the sport? That's not a problem where I live.

Yeah, I guess I forgot about the adapters that are tied on. Maybe my friend who missed her session had removed it or something. Still, adding a valve that is universally compatible is the clean solution.

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:04 pm

Let’s face it there is no perfect brand out there and of what’s out there if you use it, 2 years max and the kite will be ready for the retirement home.

I started in Cab’s because that’s what everyone had in the area at the time (New Caledonia and only real dealer on the island). 2009 SB 10m I rode it for two years and the kite held with no bladder blowouts. The only canopy rip was the flaw where the canopy rubbed on the one pump hose (duct tape and problem solved). The canopy was weak for sure they never stood up well. They have way to much bar pressure but it’s a bow….. I don’t think they can get away from this.

Do I hate them…. No…. Would I buy another one…. No. They just don’t fit my style or my liking.

I think they are on par with everyone else for the most part. Hell everyone is using the same material these days. Its getting harder and harder to tell the kites apart (every kite is starting to take on the same shape)

I always look down the beach wondering if I see less Cab’s or more…. Most I do see are suffers and beginners. Most people start on Cab’s, find their style and move to a specific kite to meet the need.

People that hate a kite…… this only happens when the wife is on a Cab and pulling more shit then him on the ………
Cheers

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:24 pm

It is a bit odd - as in other parts of the world, Cab is more expensive than most others it seems ?

This is not the case here in Denmark, where all brands are almost equally priced - maybe with a few exceptions for one or two that are internet available and cheaper.

So somehow it seems that Cab is either loved or not - because they are higher priced in other parts of the world ?
A high price product will often result in more on/off liking for some reason :roll:

Here in DK Cab is liked in most regions :thumb:

And in some areas (like here), it is not used at all.

Why not ?

Historically they were huge together with Wipika and Naish when kitesurfing started getting big after year 2000.

Then some years later, the catastrophic bladder defects "killed" the brand here - noone dared touching these kites for years now :wink:
Although - seen in retroperspective - it would be the brand with maybe the most checked and durable bladders, AFTER this of course - so intelligently one should buy a Cab, of all brands, in order to feel safe about the bladders...

Unfortunately this is not how our emotions work :roll:

So they did not reappear around here, and no Cab kites seen this very day !

But in other regions they are used - and great awesome kites, that is for sure :naughty:

Local dealers choices, and what they want to "push" is what matters the most though, no doubt - it has got almost nothing to do with the actual kites :-?

:D Peter

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:14 am

dyyylan wrote:Lack of color coding on the bar? One side is black, the other side is red. What more do you want a giant sign that says THE BAR IS THE WRONG WAY MAKE SURE YOU TURN IT THE OTHER WAY YOU FUCKING KOOK
Ackshully... :lol:
Peter Lynn and Epic bars are two I know of that have WRONG WAY on the erm other side. Which is fine if you're setting up on the beach... but when you're spinning the bar to unspin lines, a different coloured backside or high contrast colours left and right is much more useful. Flysurfer bars do both so it's easy to see when to catch the bar...

2011 Cab bar was all black with little red diamonds... very stylish but hard to spot them when you're spinning the bar. :jump:

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:59 pm

Life must be tough if you can spend time and chemistry hating a kite brand... or responding to silly threads on kiteforum :wink: haha!

Just kidding but I haven't heard to many bad things except slow turning. There's a beginner around here who's already upgrading to SS because of this (after one season). I seen a 11m convert handle lots of wind last winter... 25-30kt gusts maybe.... ton's of wind range it seems.

I'd buy and use any brand kite if the price is right... just make it work... but then I'm never gonna amount to a big time kiter :rollgrin:

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:36 pm

acctx wrote:I have cabrinha kites because that was what was on sale when I started kiting. However I see mostly negative comments about cabrinha kites on here. Is it because they are expensive? because they pimp. The quality seems fine, but the new prices do seem to be substantially higher than many other brands.

I saw the post about the f-one delam and one guy mentioned that cabrinha replaced his board even though he thrashes them.

One thing to keep in mind is that some of that money goes for service - such as not giving you a hard time and just wholesale replacing gear when you have an issue vs. repairing it.

Each full replacement eats profit on probably 5-10 kites. Cabrinha gear may be expensive if you just think in terms of the mfg costs, but possibly no hassle replacements eat up a good chunk of the margin.

Does anyone have any insight into this? Does cabrinha do a better job of standing behind their products than other brands?
Do people hate North?
Do people hate Naish?
Do people hate Slingshot?
Do people hate F-One?
Do people hate Ocean Rodeo?
Do people hate Epic?
Do people hate Core?
Do people hate GK?
Do people hate Spleene?
Do people hate Flysurfer?
Do peolpe hate Flexifoil?
Do people hate Wainman?
Do people hate Best?
Do people hate RRD?
Do people hate Airush?
Do people hate HQ?
Do people hate Ozone?
Do people hate Peter Lynn?
Do people hate Crazy Fly?
Do people hate Star Kites?
Do people hate Gin?

Well do you :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: ???
Or is it better to :heartface: :heartface: :heartface: :heartface: ???

:remybussi: :remybussi: :remybussi: :remybussi: :remybussi: :remybussi: :remybussi:

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:50 pm

Do you people hate Liquid Force? :angryfire: :heartface: :remybussi:

Return to “Kitesurfing”