Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

switch element vs caution spitfire....can anyone compare?

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
jb8431
Rare Poster
Local Beach: sherman island
Style: freeride, freestyle
Gear: core kites
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

switch element vs caution spitfire....can anyone compare?

Postby jb8431 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:28 pm

Still holding out right now on a purchase as ideally I would like to get a ride on each. However, if anyone can comment on these 2 kites (9m) in the following areas:

I weigh 185 like to be really powered and looking for the best freeride, surf, and powered hooked in kiteloops. desired windrange kite 18-33kts. and don't want a 7m I hate to work the kite and usually fly bigger kite than most in high wind, i just go shorter lines.

1.Low end power which one is better?
2.kite loops that give a fast nice down wind tug so your landing fast down wind and kite reaches apex fast.
3. stable at high end with turbulent wind and kite remains solid, i have read a lot that caution kites do very well with this type of condition so how about the element.....the thin leading edge concerns me I guess.
4. Upwind which is better.
5. reaction to steering, which one is faster!
6. which one has more power in the turn.
7. overall jump performance and hangtime.

Again just asking a comparison between the Caution spitfire 9m and Switch element 9m.

screwfootsc
Medium Poster
Style: strapless
Been thanked: 0

Re: switch element vs caution spitfire....can anyone compare

Postby screwfootsc » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:03 pm

Fly what makes you ride well. :thumb:
Last edited by screwfootsc on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jb8431
Rare Poster
Local Beach: sherman island
Style: freeride, freestyle
Gear: core kites

Postby jb8431 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:13 pm

SFSC,

Thanks for the reply. I have read your posts on the spitfire from last year. Thanks for the comparison, it was helpful.

S.A.
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: www.cautionkites.com
www.nobilekiteboarding.com

Postby S.A. » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:09 am

HaHa,

Screwfoot is a Switch "team rider" and used to be a Caution team rider so you can add that "twist" into everything he has said.

I retail the Cauton brand (amongst some others) and some of what SF says is absolute BS. In fact, it's such blatant BS that I've actually felt compelled to reply to this post (which I would not normally do).

Your questions (& answers) below (all my comments are based on 9m Spitfire 2012):

1.Low end power which one is better?
>> The Spitfire has good bottom end power, but you still need 14/15kt to get going decently. The Switch may pip that?

2.kite loops that give a fast nice down wind tug so your landing fast down wind and kite reaches apex fast.
>> We have a local freestyler who uses a dedicated FS kite & hucks huge megaloops etc. He's has a good few sessions on the Sptfire & absolutely raves about it. He LOVES the power in the loops and he LOVES the fact that he is landing more moves and landing much softer.
It's absolute BS to say that you can't loop a Spitfire (shame on you Screwfoot).
There is also NO major adjustment needed for going unhooked, either in waves or freestlye.

3. stable at high end with turbulent wind and kite remains solid, i have read a lot that caution kites do very well with this type of condition so how about the element.....the thin leading edge concerns me I guess.
>> You will not find another kite that performs as well in a wide range of conditions as the Spitfire. One of the local riders here bought a quiver of Switches (untested) & is very disappointed with the top end range and handling of his purchase. I'm not sure whch model he has though.
Last weekend we had a 70yr old dude still comfortably out on his 11m Spitfire whilst the guy with the Switch was bleating about his 9m.
I also ride some other kites with thin LE and not one of them handle gusts or stronger winds life the Spitfire.

4. Upwind which is better.
>> Again Screwfoot it talking BS here. The Spitfire has some of the best upwind characteristics out there. Compared (for example) to the Nobile T5 or Blade Trigger, the Spitfire goes upwind just as well, but with LESS effort.
I ride a surfboard mostly where you loose 100m or more downwind on riding the wave & I wold be very grumpy if my kite didn;t go upwind extremely well.

5. reaction to steering, which one is faster!
>> Not sure? The Spitfire s very stable until you input for the turns and then is responds quickly.

6. which one has more power in the turn.
>> Again, not sure but read earlier comments on freestyle feedback.

7. overall jump performance and hangtime
>> Spitfire has loads of pop but does jump very much like a "C" kite. If you know what to do, you can boost right up there with the very biggest jumpers, but you will need to adapt your technique.
A flatter profile (more "bow type") kite will be easier to jump by simply sheeting in the bar.

Question not asked: Wave riding?
HaHa, the Spitfire is a "no-brainer" here.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:10 pm

I have a 13m Element not the 9m, but I can give you an overall idea of what the kite is about. Basically this is designed for stability and allround use. The closest kite to it is the RPM, although RPM is more wakestyle oriented and the Element is more Wave/freeride oriented. It is probably the most stable easy to relaunch kite I have used. Not the best kite for massively powered jumps or kiteloops though but loops very well with its pivotal turning like an RPM, but very good allrounder including unhooked. Is also a very good wave kite due to relaunch, stability and drift. Build quality is very good. Best thing to do is to contact a team rider and try one out via the online site, at the end of the day kite choice is about personal preference. Retailers like the above poster are very anti-Switch because they undercut them by removing them from the equation all together.

S.A.
Medium Poster

Postby S.A. » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:55 pm

UK surf,

Unlike both you and Screwfoot I have been honest about my interest as a retailer. As for dislking switch because it's cheaper, well, sorry for you and the guy here who also thought so, they actually work ot to be exactly the same price as any other brand retailed here.

The local guy arrived at the beach braggng about his "cheap" kites, until everyone told him that's the same price they were paying for F-Ones & Spitfires and maybe 5% less than Blades and Nobiles.

... go figure, huh?

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby UKSurf » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:13 pm

Caution are quite well priced since you buy them from their online store, but still a bit more expensive than switch complete. Saying there is little difference with other brands that sell through a supply chain is a bit insane though for example blade trigger 12m complete is $1550, element 13m is about $950 (and that includes delivery). So turn 5% into 50%. FOne are one of the most expensive brands on the market 12m Bandit is $1750 complete (84% more expensive). If you are going to say that other people are talking BS please dont come right back with this alice in wonderland stuff. And I am not a Switch Retailer, I have no financial interest in their company what so ever.

S.A.
Medium Poster

Postby S.A. » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:52 pm

UK surf, you are taking this on a whole different tangent that has nothing to do wth the intent of the original post.

I really have better things to do than argue with you about the pricing of products. Maybe the local guy got ripped by Switch? I don't know?
All I can tell you is that he paid around $1200 for his Switch kites once landed here, complete with bar, lines, pump, taxes, etc. That's a fact & sorry if it upsets you.

Anyhow, my post was actually about answering some questions on the performance of the Spitfire and I think I have done that.

Have fun & enjoy your kte.

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hansen Design » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:34 pm

S.A.:
The facts:
Element Kite Prices to your door in USA including tax & shipping.
:thumb:
Element-Prices1a.jpg
Element-Prices1a.jpg (20.32 KiB) Viewed 4667 times
S.A. wrote:All I can tell you is that he paid around $1200 for his Switch kites once landed here, complete with bar, lines, pump, taxes, etc. That's a fact & sorry if it upsets you.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby UKSurf » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:45 pm

S.A. wrote: I really have better things to do than argue with you about the pricing of products. Maybe the local guy got ripped by Switch? I don't know?
All I can tell you is that he paid around $1200 for his Switch kites once landed here, complete with bar, lines, pump, taxes, etc. That's a fact & sorry if it upsets you.
Please stop making things up you are starting to look silly.

Return to “Reviews”