Forum for kitesurfers
bri
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Slingshot rpm 2012, is the 12m really a 12m

Postby bri » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:53 pm

Yeah your dealer should of been more on the ball when selling the quiver. have you ridden them all?? A decent dealer should be able to sort you out.

I've got the 7m RPM 2012, 9&12 RPM 2011,

I'm about 90kg and the 12 works for me in 16,17 knots. For me it isn't a light wind kite. However when lit I love it, pulls like a truck with the depower and relaunch.

The money kite for me is the 9m the 2011 version might be the best kite i've owned. The 7 I have for my surf board and big old windy days.

I'm toying with the idea of a 14m kite for light wind days or a skim / fish for messing about on, on the 12m

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent

Postby shymac » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:54 pm

JGTR wrote:
When the rpm is lit they are a fab kite, excellent top end, build quality, and t new 2012 models looks the dogs nuts
Irrelevant to what the OP was saying - the RPM is a great kite by all accounts but people are buying different sized kites as a quiver only to find that some of them are pretty much the same size and they have spent $1000+ that they didn't need to or could have spent on extending their quiver. When he brought his 8/10/12 his Slingshot dealer should have advised him that the 10 and 12 are very similar and he would be better off with maybe 8/10/14 or 6/8/12 - I thought that was the reason manufacturers and distributors bang on about buying from reputable dealers as you get good advice and sound product knowledge :?:

I can totally understand why he's not happy!
When viewing the wing graph for the 2012 RPM "Very similar to 2011/2010/2009" you will notice basically every size is available... And every size bleeds into another kites wind range. With very little inspection of the current wind graph and a bit of customer research; you could easily come to a conclusion what quiver you should be on..

I can totally see why riders can't figure this out.

as always if you have questions regarding quivers, specs, and product questions feel free to contact riderhotline@slingshotsports.com
Attachments
RPM-Wind-Chart-2012.jpg
RPM-Wind-Chart-2012.jpg (22.5 KiB) Viewed 2068 times

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:10 pm

Ha ha, wind graphs :lol:

Who bases spending $1000+ on kites using one of those wind graphs? They are useless. Surprised to see you even mentioning it Shymac :nono:

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:49 pm

the Quote you made WAS the OP…

If there is an issue can you please contact me, as the UK rep for Slingshot i would be open to seeing what we can do to help you out and see which dealer you purchased from to make sure that they are giving the correct advice and if they are able with my help to sort something for you.

JGTR, from having met and chatted to you i know that you are a reasonable guy, so what is the fascination with these threads? you seem pretty keen on throwig in your 50ps worth, from a 'consumer rights stand point' or something else. nothing that has been said by you actually helps the OP, something that i am trying to do.

JGTR wrote:
When the rpm is lit they are a fab kite, excellent top end, build quality, and t new 2012 models looks the dogs nuts
Irrelevant to what the OP was saying - the RPM is a great kite by all accounts but people are buying different sized kites as a quiver only to find that some of them are pretty much the same size and they have spent $1000+ that they didn't need to or could have spent on extending their quiver. When he brought his 8/10/12 his Slingshot dealer should have advised him that the 10 and 12 are very similar and he would be better off with maybe 8/10/14 or 6/8/12 - I thought that was the reason manufacturers and distributors bang on about buying from reputable dealers as you get good advice and sound product knowledge :?:

I can totally understand why he's not happy!

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent

Postby shymac » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:43 pm

JGTR wrote:Ha ha, wind graphs :lol:

Who bases spending $1000+ on kites using one of those wind graphs? They are useless. Surprised to see you even mentioning it Shymac :nono:

*With very little inspection of the current wind graph and a bit of customer research; you could easily come to a conclusion what quiver you should be on.. :jap:

boyceduke
Medium Poster
Local Beach: cambersands
Favorite Beaches: el gouna, egypt
Style: freeride/freestyle
Gear: all sorts

Postby boyceduke » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:53 am

@ shymac, I did plenty of research and looked at the wind graphs even though we all know there based on a 75kg rider based on an unknown board size. Of course everyone has an opinion but I like being powered and explained this to people. I can't fault the kite, build, looks, flying speed but I am disappointed that the 12m is probably a 10.8m kite. I feel like I have wasted £1000 of my hard earned cash and feel slightly misled. If slingshot base there kite sizes on feel alone what is the true feeling of a 12m then when all brands feel so different!!!

Here is your quote from my research

If your planning on having kites for 2+ years go for 3. It will spread out the wear and you're gear will last longer in most cases... For your CDL class I would recommend the 8/10/12 so you're never out the proper kite... Plus you won't have to override any of them either, which will decrease wear and tear..

Tedy
Rare Poster

Postby Tedy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:39 am

I just bought 12 and 10,..i have 80 kg,.. What about this post,..check pictures below,..its 2011 Rpm

http://www.kitesurfing.ie/index.php?nam ... ic&t=15686

Tedy

boyceduke
Medium Poster

Postby boyceduke » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:27 am

They are 2011 kites and in any case they are not sitting on each other... there is also another post where the difference is about 30mm on the trailing edge, if the 10m is sitting in front of the 12 it will look smaller to the eye... all i can suggest is lay yours on top of each other, you may be supprised... awesome kite when lit though....

Tedy
Rare Poster

Postby Tedy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:47 am

Can you make a picture of 12,10,8 together,..i would like to see difreence between 8 and 10,..i am planing too buy an 8,..so if its no difrrence between 12 and 10 i am going to change form 12 to 14,..

Thanks!

boyceduke
Medium Poster

Postby boyceduke » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:19 am

hi, i have not used the 8m yet so i dont want to un-roll it if i decide to sell.. thanks

Return to “Kitesurfing”