Forum for kitesurfers
kiteman88
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

what size kite do I need?

Postby kiteman88 » Tue May 29, 2012 9:23 am

im new to kiteboarding. i have played around with a trainer kite now for a while and have got quite good at it. i live in north dakota so there is always wind. i have gotten good enough to ride a longboard at kite with the trainer kite. i wanna move to a bigget kite so i can kite surf and snow kite. i just dont know wut size kite to got 7meter, 9 meter, or even 10 meter. i dont know. also wut kind of harnes do i need and where to get my gear and wut is a good deal. thank you

chris1974
Rare Poster
Style: freeride
Gear: Flexifoil ION3 8.5+10.5
Flexifoil Delta Board

Re: what size kite do I need?

Postby chris1974 » Tue May 29, 2012 10:15 am

Hi

I would suggest taking some lessons before buying your own gear… definitely trainer kite gives you an idea on what will follow but you are far away from being an independent kiter!!!
It is difficult to give you directions as I have no idea on wind conditions of your home spot…locals will advise you on it

Safety comes first…

Chris
www.albatross.gr
Paros Hotel, Greece

kiteman88
Rare Poster

Postby kiteman88 » Tue May 29, 2012 5:10 pm

i have been flying the rush pro 200 kite (trainerkite) for a little over a year now. i took it to the lake beach here and even learned to body drag on a little board.i just think im ready for the next step. the wind conditions here r around 15-40 mph winds. i live way out in the open. do u need different kites for different things? for example, water, land, snow?

Thor SFBay
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, California
Favorite Beaches: Bolinas, CA
Style: freeride
Gear: Naish Park kites, Naish Haze board

Postby Thor SFBay » Tue May 29, 2012 9:39 pm

Kite sizes depend on wind speed, how much you weigh, type of board used, and whether you are on land or water. 15-40mph would require at least 3 different kites. If you buy a kite and a harness and try to teach yourself, you have a very high probability of getting seriously injured or killed. You need to take at least one lesson from a professional so that you understand the safety issues. If there are no kite lessons available in North Dakota and you can't afford to travel, at least find some other kiters in your area and ask them for help.

Return to “Kitesurfing”