Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

is equal for all?

Forum for kitesurfers
ChristoffM
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan and Cape Town.
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere in the Cape, South Africa.
Style: Hydrofoils! (And surf and old school)
Gear: Cape Town Foilboard and Spotz hydrofoils.
Any kite that can keep up with the hydrofoils.
Brand Affiliation: Cape Town Foilboards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: is equal for all?

Postby ChristoffM » Thu May 31, 2012 4:06 pm

I agree 100% with BraCuru.

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Thu May 31, 2012 5:39 pm

yeah that guy has it spot on.

I would not call it lucky to have a 2012 china production board. board started out at 12lbs. I am screwed when it comes to fins because i had to basically permanently wedge my fins in my board for it to not fall around in those crappy boxes.
IMG_20120531_073049.jpg

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbleck » Thu May 31, 2012 6:00 pm

400 euro or more according to the registration scheme. The document mentions a possible inspection on sight with the manufacture paying travel expenses. Has the IKA ever put this clause in effect?

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby FredBGG » Thu May 31, 2012 6:39 pm

To hell with the bureaucratic sports bodies and the Olympics.

Just become free riders and build your own internet presence.

Be free to ride whatever you want how you want.

lobodomar
Frequent Poster

Postby lobodomar » Thu May 31, 2012 7:18 pm

tautologies wrote:Brands are competing for market shares and positions in the future...
Come on tautologies we don't wanna be treated as a piece of capitalist meat.
Brands should not dictate what we can compete on.....the K in IKA stands for Kiteboarding, and that's unfortunately wrong - should stand for Kiteboarders, otherwise Kiteboarding easily becomes Kitebranding.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu May 31, 2012 9:24 pm

"is there an event in perth"

some big sailing event this year - maybe first sanctioned kiteboard race (ie you cant just enter... - you must have the 400 euro sticker as far as I know) - will find out more info. I'd be alllowed to enter Rottenest to Mainland, that is sick!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu May 31, 2012 9:36 pm

Ian: The sticker is a one time fee that that the brand pays to get all the boards stamped?

Stefaans: That is an issue with the producer of the board, and has nothing to do with this.

Fred: I agree...I think the Olympic organization sucks and I don't know enough about IKA...but regardless these things cost money to run. I've helped arranging different events, and the number of hours and the manpower it takes is pretty harsh.

We are working on something here, but just the insurance and fees to have an event has a cost. I couldn't care less about the box rule, but I do agree with the thought behind it.

It might slow development down, but that isn't always a bad thing. :-)

Lobo: What do you mean capitalist meat? You never buy anything? I don't even understand this as an argument. If you say you do not want to feel like meat well, just eat chips and eat candy and most people will treat you like you are fat?? Lol just kidding. My point is unless you want to create your own society unfortunately we're still part of a system that uses money to trade. :-)

..but hey if anyone else wants to buy dark fiber, I'm in. Just let me see if I can come up with the $2bill it costs to stretch a cable through the pacific.

lobodomar
Frequent Poster

Postby lobodomar » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:02 am

tautologies wrote:If you say you do not want to feel like meat well, just eat chips and eat candy and most people will treat you like you are fat??
Ok that was beyond my comprehension but it does sound funny :D

My point is that we feel like pieces of meat when capitalism is predatory - should not have to necessarily be that way. And big companies gaining market share at the expense of rules and restrictions, rather than customer preference, seems pretty predatory to me.

Rules and restrictions lobbied by them which choke competition. One might argue that big brands don't mind competing with a small fish like Newind, but I bet they mind competing with many Newind-likes spread across the globe.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:33 am

The sticker is a one time fee that that the brand pays to get all the boards stamped? yes for one design minimum 30 boards +engineering/inspection fees for report.

so i want to make some boards, i am still developing, i want/ or a team rider wants to compete in sanctioned event overseas on designs that are still developing very fast - not possible for smaller companies - i see one of the kite race board companies has shelled out for 12 designs ? x 400 euros +inspection/engineer fees. The minimum 30 makes things impossible for me and my board manufacturing business friends - especially the ones that manufacture in the country and not in China. Why would I want pay/manufacture 30 when designs are still changing reasonably fast, the sanctioned events are teh exact ones where you can measure performance real well from a design point of view - and excellent marketing if you win!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:18 am

...but you can see it from my perspective too though? If I have no chance of getting a board that is competitive, why compete at all (assuming I was actually competing?)...

I mean I can definitely see it from the small producers perspective. On the other hand a rule like that will effectively push out unserious actors in the market.

I do think this is a hard call to make, but from a rider perspective it is not super bad this way. Maybe better to wait a little...

Another drawback for the baox rule is that bigger riders have a disadvantage. Oh well.

Return to “Kitesurfing”