Favorite Beaches: golden beach
Style: free riding
Gear: nomad 7M
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

1 kite span from the power trim??

Postby ericliang » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:02 pm

I am studying IKO's book, and there is a term"1 kite span" is very confuse me.
the book says the stopper ball on the front line should have 1 kite span distance from the power trim. What doesthe term"1 kite span" mean? and how long it is? thanks for reply~~

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: 1 kite span from the power trim??

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:59 pm

ericliang wrote:I am studying IKO's book, and there is a term"1 kite span" is very confuse me.
the book says the stopper ball on the front line should have 1 kite span distance from the power trim. What doesthe term"1 kite span" mean? and how long it is? thanks for reply~~
"1 kite span" is the distance from kite tip to the other tip, when the kite is put flat on the ground without air :thumb:

So the stopper ball up on the lines where the bar stops when you pull the QR, has to be sufficient so the kite will "flag out" thus be without power :naughty:

As simple as that 8)

:D Peter

Pietro_2003
Rare Poster

Postby Pietro_2003 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:12 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
ericliang wrote:I am studying IKO's book, and there is a term"1 kite span" is very confuse me.
"1 kite span" is the distance from kite tip to the other tip, when the kite is put flat on the ground without air :thumb:

So the stopper ball up on the lines where the bar stops when you pull the QR, has to be sufficient so the kite will "flag out" thus be without power :naughty:

As simple as that 8)

:D Peter
I've been wondering about this. I still use a Takoon 12m Nova2 from 2006. I have my safety above the bar on one of the front lines. Would it help having a stopper on this line? Or is that a thing of the past? I guess they help reduce the chance of a tangle when retrieving the kite.

ericliang
Rare Poster
Local Beach: golden beach

Postby ericliang » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:16 pm

thanks for u guys answer, I just think too much.....1 kite span, I thought it's the kite inflated.

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:27 pm

don't study this book too much. IKO is self proclaimed "international organization", really just private company (ltd), and they have no legal power anywhere in the world accept may be the few french-speaking islands. so whatever they wright it is just their opinion

ericliang
Rare Poster
Local Beach: golden beach

Postby ericliang » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:39 pm

yap, that may be true, just feel like the book still has some useful infomation in it. thanks for your advise~~

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:18 am

it doesnt have to be exact, it is 1 kite span or more. for my lines with stopper balls I just use 10 meters, fold my lines in half and put the stopper there. The stopper helps a lot with relaunch after flag out because you are less likely to tangle the lines. 1 kite span (or more) ensures that no matter what angle the kite is when you flag out, you won't have tension on any other lines except for your flag out line.

Return to “Kitesurfing”