Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks
Style: Freeride, freestyle, strapless
Gear: Shinn, North
Brand Affiliation: None

Lithium Quiver Help

Postby ktflyer381 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:32 pm

Thinking of gettting a couple of 2012 Lithiums. I have flown the 12m, figure it goes from 10 knots to around 17 knots, would like to get the 8m as well but haven't flown it. Two questions:

1. Would there be a gap between the two.
2. What is the realistic high end on the 8m.

If you haven't flown Lithiums, don't bother posting, I only want to hear from people who know. There is no wind range chart on the Airush site that I could find.

Thanks.

K

Nukin
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Lithium Quiver Help

Postby Nukin » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:20 am

I guess it all depends on how much you weight and what type of board you ride. I find them really good for getting out in lighter winds than you think possible. I am 165lbs and have a 10m and a 6m. At first I thought the gap would be too bit but I find the 10m is good from 13mph - 25 or so.
It has plenty of depower so I am sure you could take it to 30 if that's your thing. I ride it mostly with a Airrush Hammer twin tip.

The 6m is a great kite and is the best jumping small kite I have ever ridden. A lot of small kites drop you quick but this kite has a lot of hangtime. I have only ridden it once but I was fine on it when it was blowing 22-26mph with gusts to 32mph on a small twin tip. Never needed any depower. I forgot to remove the removable extensions in the airrush bar so it was a very quick turning kite that could be slowed down on the short bar setting.

If your thinking two kites 12 /8 would be good or 10/6 depending on your style. Cheers!

flylow
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Stuart, Fl and Long Beach, Turks
Gear: 9-12-14.5 Ocean Rodeo Aluua
North Select and Axis Surf board

Postby flylow » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:22 am

I am about 178 lbs and I have the 8-10-14 quiver. I mostly ride the North Select 132. The 14 M is the "light wind" kite. It is real easy to relaunch in light winds...better then my 14 M Bandit 4. However, the 10-14 do not go up wind as well as the Bandit 4's. I find the 10 is a good kite and many people are riding 12 M kites when I am on the 10m. The wind range info was on their web site as I remember. Con: no swivel so down looping twists the lines. Maybe the adjustable bar has a swivel where the chicken loop is?

christophebcn
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Barcelona
Style: Freeride

Postby christophebcn » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:05 am

I've been riding the 2010 Lithium 12m and 8m happily for the past 2 years.

I weigh 75kg and ride mostly a twintip. I like a 'park & ride' kite that pulls.
They're great kites and the 4m difference between them is ok.

A friend of mine also has the 10m lithium and there are days when i wouldn't mind having the 10m as well, when he rides the 10 and I have to ride the 12 depowered, it gets a bit sluggish to turn (but then i enjoy massive boosting...) but if you're going to go for 2 kites, i would say 8 and 12 is a good choice.

Regarding low range, i've been using the 12m with my sector board and ridden when no one else was on the water (10kts or less average. Pretty much when the kite flies, i can ride). I tried a 17m ozone zephir in these conditions but didn't like it and prefered the lithium for light wind.

For higher winds, not sure how high i took the 8m, probably comfortably around 25+ kts average (i have a 6m Varial for those days when it's over 30kts and love it too)

I use all 3 kites on the same bar and stopped bothering about trying to remove the bar extensions... (they got stuck on the bar pretty quickly, even though i give it a good rinse after each session)

ktflyer381
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks
Style: Freeride, freestyle, strapless
Gear: Shinn, North

Postby ktflyer381 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:53 pm

Great info, thanks.

K

Youtch
Frequent Poster

Postby Youtch » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:30 pm

What is the upper range of the 12m?

To ChristopheBCN: Completly out of topic: but I m assuming that 1. you re french 2. living in Barcelona. Where do you kite? I m also from Barcelona, and I do not see many lithium around.

I am under the impression that spanish market is saturated with North kites (60%), and some Naish and Best, we do not get to see many other brands around.

I m kiting with Liquid Force Envy 2011 and but very interested in Airush Lithium.

coyoteface
Medium Poster

Postby coyoteface » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:06 pm

I have these kites and really like them. I think that would be a fine quiver, but dont forget you can adjust the line lengths. The 2011 airush smart bar i think had 26 or 27m lines, vs the 2012 bar that comes with 24 or 25m lines. when ever i get lit on my 12m and dont feel like going down to the 10m i just take off one of the line extensions.

christophebcn
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Barcelona
Style: Freeride

Postby christophebcn » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:24 pm

@youtch: you're right! there are a bunch of lithium in castelldefels. I kite pretty much on all the coast of catalunya, depending on the wind...
BTW, I start to see quite a lot of ozone kites as well

@coyoteface: don't forget that shorter lines will only affect the power during the stroke or sining. Once parked, the kite will pull the same on long or short lines. I wouldn't rely just on that if you're really overpowered on the 12... i'd get out and rig the 8

Cabretta
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Georgia coast and north Florida
Style: a mix of wake and surf
Gear: Airush lithum 12
KGB 139
various surfboards

Postby Cabretta » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:09 pm

I'm on the 2012 12m, mostly twin tip. I'm 165 lbs and I don't start thinking about using it unless its at least 10 to 13kts. It loves 15-20, and starts trying to kill me above 25. Love the kite.

singlemalt
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Many

Postby singlemalt » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:11 pm

I'm amazed at the range and speed of the 14m. Yea I live in Florida and big kites are normal here but the top end is great. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”