Kiteboarding killed my doggy :(

Forum for kitesurfers
POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Re: Kiteboarding killed my doggy :(

Postby POACHER » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:18 pm

Sorry about losing your dog.....that is pretty sad.

Dogs are the best..........and our kiting buddy Max is exemplary. He is a fricken' riot.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby L0KI » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:04 pm

mr_daruman wrote:He gets really jealous when I leave him behind
A strong guess...what you see there is anxiety.
Could be taught to comfortably lay down and practice his chilling technique.
Not real hard to teach.

zh4k
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Erie
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby zh4k » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:47 am

It's called DOG LIFEJACKET get one

HAMLINDP
Frequent Poster

Postby HAMLINDP » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:31 am

zh4k wrote:It's called DOG LIFEJACKET get one
Dude, she's dead. Really now?

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flyingweasel » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:14 am

Last edited by flyingweasel on Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cray
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Cray » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:48 am

flyingweasel wrote: Thats sad n all but c`mon ......3 hours??????
I have spent more than 3 hours looking for a set of car keys or lost kite board.
Maybe invest in a pair of glasses and spend less of your life on searching? Maybe you'll even find some time to pick up some social skills. :bye:

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flyingweasel » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:29 pm

Last edited by flyingweasel on Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:53 pm

I know the Columbia River has a fair amount of current.
Don't know how far and fast things drift toward the ocean in that river before anybody finds them.
I would guess the local rescue forces that must have the job of searching for missing people, would know.
I find it interesting how much passion forum threads about dogs can raise!
People seem to have strong opinions and get pretty cranky if challenged, when it comes to our canine friends.
The worst argument I've ever had on this forum came in a thread where a kiter got barked at, and threatened by a loose dog as he was coming to shore. This fellow was afraid of dogs his whole life and wanted advise on how to handle a dog if it happens again or how to get over his fear of dogs. Some of us gave the original poster some good advise and others came on talking about killing the loose dog and how they would bash the dogs head in, and the conversation got pretty heated pretty quickly. I got at least a handful of know-it-alls who were going to school me about (my) dangerous (breed specific) dogs, and how these dogs were going to mentally snap and kill a baby or some other crime against man. I learned that those of us that love our dogs get pretty pissed when somebody threatens our little friends, even on a forum. I also found out that there are a lot of people that know very little about dogs. And those that don't love dogs, mostly people who have fear issues, really hate it when folks have loose dogs where they want to kite. I am happy to report that none of the "dangerous" dogs that I have met, worked with and/or found homes for in the last years, have killed any babies or eaten any kittens. :roll: But I can see from some of the posters here, that some dog owners do bring their dogs with them wherever they go, which is good for the dog and for the dog owner, but also that they are not considering the feelings of all other people when they allow their dogs to frantically run around while they are on the water. Also, some of these kiters have dogs who are unhappy that their owners are out doing something that is making them (the dog) nervous, and the dog is running around trying to rescue or herd the owner back to what the dog perceives as safety. I would guess that what happened to Sadie will happen again somewhere. It sure would be better if all of our dogs perceived us correctly as their pack leaders, and could relax and do as they were directed without putting themselves in danger or pissing off people who will hurt them or try to get them banned from that place. Dog owners should know how to be that leader for their dog, but many do not know the basics that will make their dogs secure in the knowledge that their pack leader has everything under control and they do not need to assume the roll of the leader.
Just like some people are trying to ban kiters in certain spots, there are people out there trying to ban dogs from access to whole cities, states and countries as well.
The Breed Specific banning of dogs is a great big huge deal to me, and I deal with people's ignorance and prejudice every day, as it relates to a fairly long list of dog breeds.
Among a list of things that I do to fight Breed Specific Legislation and Breed Specific Laws, is make damn sure that my dogs are super well behaved and under complete control at all times.
That keeps them safe, and that keeps other people from hating on them and hating me for having them. For a lot of years, I had un-neutered, and out of control dogs and was not aware of the mistakes I was making. When my dog got run over by a truck, my eyes were opened.
Just like our children, our dogs need to be safe, under supervision and taught how to be awesome.
And just like with our children, that tends to lead them toward a happy healthy life.
Alex-Like anybody, you're opinions reflect how you see the world from where you sit..but no need to be a dick
Last edited by L0KI on Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:27 pm

Cray wrote:
flyingweasel wrote: Thats sad n all but c`mon ......3 hours??????
I have spent more than 3 hours looking for a set of car keys or lost kite board.
Maybe invest in a pair of glasses and spend less of your life on searching? Maybe you'll even find some time to pick up some social skills. :bye:
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:28 pm

zh4k wrote:It's called DOG LIFEJACKET get one
Another cop wannabe.

Return to “Kitesurfing”