mexiwind
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Bucerias, Nayarit Mexico
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2012 North LTD Raceboard with crooked fin box

Postby mexiwind » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:00 pm

Just received my brand new 2012 North LTD race board and was stoked to get it on the water that i didn't notice the crooked fin box until after noticing that my port side down wind runs were nearly impossible to stay on the board.. After closer examination i took the board to my local shaper friend who measured from center line of board to fin boxes and one box is more than 2mm out from the front to back of the box!! After marking up the board with precise measurement the shaper also noticed that the nose of the board was not symmetrical and one rail was sanded much sharper than the other. All being said i took some pictures and sent them to the USA distributor, who forwarded them on to North, and to my surprise they said that this was within tolerance for these board!! They forwarded me the email from Dirk Hanel who told them to deny the warranty claim as 2mm was within tolerance!! thats amazing! especially since the board is very difficult to ride on one side! Considering the price of these boards, that is unacceptable to me, i don't understand how they can make these boards in China, and then not stand behind basic Q/C defects...

I should have know better as i was told of some issues with prototype boards having bad fins boxes last summer in Hood River, but i never imagined this would happen. Several racers in my area have had issues with RRD race boards and RRD has very quickly replaced these boards... that are made in the same factory in China..

So i guess i have to hack into this board a rebuild the fin box so my $$ are not completely wasted!!
Attachments
North LTD 2012b (1).jpg
North LTD 2012.jpg

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: 2012 North LTD Raceboard with crooked fin box

Postby tautologies » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:05 pm

But wouldn't you have to measure the fin relative to the other fins and not as much to the center of the board?

Note I am not questioning or trying to argue with you. It is annoying when premium products aren't that...

ktouhey
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I fly a lot.
Style: waves
Gear: Naish kites & boards, O'neill wetsuits.
Brand Affiliation: Naish, O'neill - Canada Team Rider

Postby ktouhey » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:07 pm

give Ristafins.com a shout.
they might be able to pot a back fin special to account for the offset on your board.

leny
Rare Poster

Postby leny » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:09 pm

Most North LTDs have the same problem. Maybe is it easier to customize the fins (base of the fin). We usually do that and it works ok :)

The RRD is now made in Cobra factory and the boards are completely different from the first batch. The quality is much better. We measured it and it has no tolerance, everything is almost 100% :). And design is great :)
Attachments
IMG_0766.jpg

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:13 pm

What is the serial number of your board? which fin is the misaligned one?

Bigdog
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Style: Old and grey surfer dude style
Gear: Core xr5 and windego boards

Postby Bigdog » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:06 am

It is a sad state of affairs when the factory cannot even align a box....wtf! If they cannot get it aligned over the length I wonder how bad the cant is and the overall construction. Pretty sad. So much for Olympic box rule etc :)....Joke?

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:45 am

This has nothing to do with the box rule. This is the second 2012 North board with similar reported problem. Most likely bad or non-existent QA in production. I say "most likely bad QA" because if they say that 2mm misalignment of the fin boxes is within tolerance and they really mean it even inside the company, then QA might be passing boards as to be correct. However to me this would mean that their boards could be good only by accident rather by design. I mean the fin makers are sweating fine adjustments to foils, shapes, angles and surface finish to gain that extra edge and board maker says, 2mm more or less is perfectly OK (?) :o Joke's on the customer, I guess.
Which means we better avoid current crop of North race boards as a plague.

BTW, I also have one, soooo :roll:
I did quick measurement and it looked OK, but will have to do more thorough check tonight.

wdric
Frequent Poster

Postby wdric » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:21 am

ktouhey wrote:give Ristafins.com a shout.
they might be able to pot a back fin special to account for the offset on your board.
Rista have done this for me, but it means paying for another set of fins that are only good for that board :o

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:44 am

Windsurf boards have been made for many years with tuttle and deep tuttle boxes for fins up to 70cm so there are companies who have been turning out boards with these boxes for many years.

RRD seem to have solved the problem by switching to having the boards made at the Cobra factory - which has been making windsurf boards for many years.

damian
Rare Poster

Postby damian » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:14 am

wdric wrote:
ktouhey wrote:give Ristafins.com a shout.
Rista have done this for me, but it means paying for another set of fins that are only good for that board :o

Hi Rick
Just out of interest did you get a board like this one too? how much was yours out and was it really that noticeable on all points of sail or only on one tack heading downwind? (i thought you had the standard North fins)

How much better are the Rista fins?

Return to “Kitesurfing”