Forum for kitesurfers
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Who Has the Best Trim Strap?

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:06 am

Peter Lynn Zero7 trim strap doesn't flap ... but you do get a loop of webbing up there.
Cabrinha Recoil is 95% perfect ... but people moan about the size of their balls.

6 of one, half dozen of another ... if you secure the trim strap ends, you limit how much you can pull in one go (Epic bars) or you have stuff flapping around.
sfpete wrote:
knotwindy wrote:you just pull out all the cleat/crap and use a ring instead.
yes you have to take the rope out of the trust bar by removing the pin but that is pretty simple.
Knotwindy, I want to try it but I need more details re the above. Can you elaborate?

PS: I am also trying out a homemade dynabar consisting of replacing a Dakine spreader bar with two D rings, a piece of 6mm Dyneema line, and a round metal ring in place of a hook. I will advise as to how it works. I am a bit worried that the ring will twist around on the line, but we'll see.
Another option (may be what knotwindy means) is to replace the velcro thingy with a ring a la Ozone IIRC on the end of the trim line - the ring goes around depower line so it doesnt flap so much.

Kinda like this?

KitesurferRO
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: worldwide
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby KitesurferRO » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:30 am

Ultimate Bar By Zeeko

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby knotwindy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:36 am

OK, no time for a picture right now but
you take the North setup apart:
remove the trim strap pull(with the velcro on it) and undo the knot and pull the rope all the way out
you will end up with the line only attached to the cleat
undo the loop on the cleat and replace the cleat with a stainless ring,
the line then goes from the new ring down to the iron heart and through it (you will have to pull the pin and take it apart to get the line through and reasemble with the pin)
then the rope goes up to and through the pulley on the two front lines and back down through the ring and back up to the top of the pulley where it is attached using the center line from the kite holding the pulley around the small bar. the easiest way to attach the rope to the pulley is to just slide it through the larkshead already holding the pulley to the center line and tying a knot in the end. do not overtighten the knot as you may have to move it a bit to get the front and back lines the same length. i also put the stopper ball back on the rope as i am reassembling it because i like having that option available but it is not necessary. it is called a Z-line and any mountain search and rescue guy should be able to show it to you. (Maybe you can google it?) maybe i can get a picture up.

RDM
Frequent Poster

Postby RDM » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:48 am

Thor SFBay wrote:
RDM wrote:Naish...
What? No way. There must be a trick to it then - I have a real hard time getting the trim line to pop into the cleat.
line and cleat.... Sorry, read the title as trim strap which I thought was reffering to the webbing pull/pull style...

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:43 am

XMitja wrote:flysurfer, still going strong after four years, even with the kite now dead I now transferred the depower strap to use with my other kites, massive range and solid construction

it's pretty dangly though

really? i hated my so much i chucked it away in favour of the ozone bar.

not saying the ozone bar is best. just the fs bar is crappola... ps i didn't have the latest fs bar.

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ned Divine » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:07 am

North 2012 is really bad... The handle is almost out of reach if the kite is fully powered, then, once depowered, the 5th line invariably falls into the cleat and wraps around the depower rope preventing easy use of the strap and possibly undermining the function of the 5th line in an emergency. Dissapointing..! :(
The Best is very functional. Flysurfer as well.

Saami
Frequent Poster

Postby Saami » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:25 pm

Another vote for the Zeeko bar.

Or, just take a North bar and replace the trim rope & cleat with a simple Z-line setup, like knotwindy described. (Ned, that would also solve your problem of not being able to reach the North depower handle when powered up, in addition to getting rid of the problem of having a dangling depower rope which winds itself around things.)

Thor SFBay
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, California
Favorite Beaches: Bolinas, CA
Style: freeride
Gear: Naish Park kites, Naish Haze board

Postby Thor SFBay » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:23 pm

RDM wrote:
Thor SFBay wrote:
RDM wrote:Naish...
What? No way. There must be a trick to it then - I have a real hard time getting the trim line to pop into the cleat.
line and cleat.... Sorry, read the title as trim strap which I thought was reffering to the webbing pull/pull style...
I think I am the one who got it wrong. I thought the post referred to all depower systems, not just above the bar. Only the 5-line bar for the Torch has an above the bar system, the rest of the Naish kites use the below bar system. Never mind.

TommyDelly
Medium Poster

Postby TommyDelly » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:09 pm

The Ozone bar has a clam cleat that looks very similar to North, but it has a magnet instead of velcro so the line doesn flap around.

MattyRossJa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Maiden Cay , Jamaica
Favorite Beaches: Maiden Cay , Bounty Bay , Round Hill , Pigeon Island (all jamaica)
Style: Freeride learning Freestyle
Gear: 2011 Cabrinha 10 Switchblade ... 2012 Cabrinha Chopstick

Postby MattyRossJa » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:08 am

sfpete wrote:Tired of the trim line on my North bar wrapping around stuff and just flapping about. The little velcro thingy is useless. Makes it difficult to work when needed in a rush. Which bars have the best setup for a depower strap/line, etc.?

switching from a switchblade to a 2012 north , i completelyyyyy agree with you , it's sooooo fristrating having to untangle it anytime u want to powerup etc.

my experience the 2011 cabrinha IDS system is boss

Return to “Kitesurfing”