Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Looking for light wind board

Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Looking for light wind board

Postby tautologies » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:31 am

Ok here is a differing opinion. A big TT is useless. I know it is not what you want to hear, but when it super light the most exciting ride will be a foil board or a raceboard. The raceboard will go fast and and with power even in light winds. hey will go fast wind winds where no TT can go.

I have the large naish venturi. Go with a three fin set up with big fins.

Kober1974
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sandy Hook NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kober1974 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:44 pm

I use Aboards Glider 164 with Anatomic pads/straps .....
My favored kite is Gin Zulu III 13m that I use most of time with 136 board .... When wind drops I switch to Glider ..... when wind dies .... I switch to 19m foil X19 and Glider where with proper technique I can ride in 6mph wind .... no room for error when riding in conditions like this and kite in water equals long swim to the shore .......
My Glider is 2012 model that comes in bright green color with red fins that is very helpful when you searching for you board in chop .... very light for it size and it "glides" on water .....lol.... And those straps ..... I love them ..... Compering to some of my previous choices those are the best ..... If you ride in booties sometimes you will be happy with how easy is to slide you feet in .... where that was my big issue with some other pads/straps
I am about 190lbs and choose 164 to be able to ride in lowest conditions possible .... but Glider is also offered in 154 and 147
Good luck with search .... and good winds ...
Attachments
IMG_0794.jpg
IMG_0794.jpg (122.97 KiB) Viewed 1880 times

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:09 pm

tautologies wrote:Ok here is a differing opinion. A big TT is useless. I know it is not what you want to hear, but when it super light the most exciting ride will be a foil board or a raceboard.
Hard to argue with "That" advice ; but seriously :
You Owe it to yourself to learn to ride a directional surfboard.
If I can do it with no feet , then it should be easy for people with
real feet.

First day out on a directional, i was bummed i hadn't tried one years ago ; because
like --tautologies-- said : "A big TT is useless" .

And in my opinion
a BIG TT isn't anywhere Near as fun as a Directional in light wind ; my first back-roll
on a directional was don in about 10 to 12mph wind,when my TT wouldn't even
get me planed-off with a 13M kite and my 212Lb.

Bille

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Postby jumarcil » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:17 pm

If you want to have fun and still get going in the very light stuff you should consider the Crazyfly Cruiser pro 145 X 48 (not the cruiser LW).

Before I had a plasma 146 X 46 and I liked it a lot. I get planning even earlier with the cruiser Pro but I get no and I mean zero splash at all. It performs very good even in the big chop. It really is my all time LW favorite.

I tried the big spleen and it was no fun for me. I might get half a knot on the lower end but as soon as the wind picked up it wasn't fun at all.

I also have an airush sector wich is a blast in LW but it isn't everyone that wants to carry such a big board when traveling for a kite vacation. THere is also the fact that those fins are really long, so if there are rocks or a lot of seaweeds it can be a problem.

Eric23
Rare Poster

Postby Eric23 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:29 am

I also use Aboards Glider (154x48). In my opinion it is amazing board for light wind. Often enough I ride with this board when everyone else have to stay on shore. It's even possible to make some kiteloops with it. Here is some video from Canada where can be seen what can be done with this board: http://youtu.be/RBBe5uWnX9c
So it's possible to get some fun out of this TT board as well.

hudstur
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Delray Beach, Florida
Boca Raton, FL
Boynton Beach, FL
Lighthouse Point, FL
Favorite Beaches: Delray Beach, FL
Hood River, OR
Floras Lake, OR
Cape Hatteras, NC
Napeague, NY
Bahamas
Kauai, Hawaii
Canada, PEI & Georgian Bay
Traverse City, MI
La Ventana, Mexico
Cabarete, DR
Florida Keys
Style: Directional Waves, Freeride, Foilboard
Gear: OCEAN RODEO Duke 5’4”, OR Flites, FOne kites, SS Mixer 5’10”, Litewavedesigns Kick S.

Postby hudstur » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:53 pm

LITEWAVE WING 153 X 46 FOR SURE, LIGHT WIND, HANDLES WAVES WITH NO DIGGING IN, AND JUMPS WELL.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:29 am

Everyone has different interests in sailing, so it is really hard to answer for you, but I've found directional boards to be so much more fun in light wind. I just can't have fun on a twin tip in light wind, going back and forth without doing anything and without being able to jump more than a couple feet just doesn't really do it for me. I've started using a strapless surfboard and I find it a lot more fun. I think a lot of it is just that it is a new challenge, but I can have a fun, relaxed session in which I learn new things on a surfboard, or I can have a frustratingly boring session on a big twin tip.

I'd say you should definitely consider a cheap used surfboard to play with before getting a new twin tip. Many people also like skimboards, and while I've never tried one, I would guess it is a similar sentiment- something that is new and unique and won't be boring when underpowered. Strapless really isn't hard either, if you are a reasonably competent kiter, it shouldn't be more than a couple of sessions to start getting comfortable with it.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:29 am

Everyone has different interests in sailing, so it is really hard to answer for you, but I've found directional boards to be so much more fun in light wind. I just can't have fun on a twin tip in light wind, going back and forth without doing anything and without being able to jump more than a couple feet just doesn't really do it for me. I've started using a strapless surfboard and I find it a lot more fun. I think a lot of it is just that it is a new challenge, but I can have a fun, relaxed session in which I learn new things on a surfboard, or I can have a frustratingly boring session on a big twin tip.

I'd say you should definitely consider a cheap used surfboard to play with before getting a new twin tip. Many people also like skimboards, and while I've never tried one, I would guess it is a similar sentiment- something that is new and unique and won't be boring when underpowered. Strapless really isn't hard either, if you are a reasonably competent kiter, it shouldn't be more than a couple of sessions to start getting comfortable with it.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:37 am

To get as much kiting days as possible I have decided to get board for light wind as well.
Want it to be long term investment, so looking for the best choice in current market.
Recommendations?
Hello Mr.pdg345
The best and inexpensive way to get a ling wind board will be to go to a surf shop an buy a used surf board. You can find one in good shape from $150 to $250. But make sure it is between 5'8" and 6'2" maximum. Then if you want you can invest in some stick on Pads/straps from NSI.
But also if you get a chance you should demo few of the TWIN TIPS people have been mention in the above posts. But make sure to demo them so you don't make the wrong decision. I have seen this so many times.
Good luck.

eitan80
Frequent Poster

Postby eitan80 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:17 am

Try Xenon Rayo 145/44 or 137/42
Rayo 145, 137 are boards with huge amount of fun factor, IMO no need for those "doors" (super wide and plat boards) as all you can do with them is upwind and small jumps, really hard to curve or get proper pop.

Just try the Rayo and see.

http://www.xenonboards.com/en/boards.html

Return to “Kitesurfing”