Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why do people lift the kite at 12 when launching?

Forum for kitesurfers
Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Why do people lift the kite at 12 when launching?

Postby Jbrook » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:13 pm

Most people were taught neutral is your friend when they were learning, so I think most people still raise kite up to neutral, creatures of habit?

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:33 pm

Jbrook wrote:Most people were taught neutral is your friend when they were learning, so I think most people still raise kite up to neutral, creatures of habit?
Neutral is also everywhere at edge of wind window....i like 60 degrees angle until i get in the water

.................................... :surf: :sun: ...............................................................................................................

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:05 pm

pj sofine wrote:I think the majority of kiters are new enough that they aren't aware of how dangerous it used to be to hold kite at 12.(or still is sometimes)We used to scream constantly "keep it low and go".If you kept your kite at 12 in moderate to strong winds you were going for a bad trip.Can still picture kiters with one or two people hanging on their legs like a runaway hot air ballon. Depower changed whole game,for the worse in some cases....:
So, none of the new kites have "auto-zenith"?

Is "drift" the new "auto-zenith"?

I would have thought that a good marketing concept, for manufacturers, would have been: "You can put our kite in a 'safety zone' overhead, and relax... take a break... no worries!".

Ten years ago, when I started kiting, two things tended to happen when a kite was put overhead at zenith: (1) Overflight, where the kite overflew the kiter, and then fell out of the sky, showering the kiter with coils of line... and (2) Straight up lifting or lofting, when a gust hit, and the kite could not be depowered.

Do the new "C" kites still tend to do these 2 things? I haven't heard of either of these things happening for a number of years.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:22 pm

Ned Divine wrote: why do most people land their kites after they stepped on solid ground and not while still in the water?
dunno bout your launch but if you do that here you will harvest 10 or 20 pounds of seaweed and spend the next hour picking it off your lines

s29feb
Frequent Poster

Postby s29feb » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:30 pm

tomatkins wrote:
Do the new "C" kites still tend to do these 2 things? I haven't heard of either of these things happening for a number of years.
In general no - more stable than a bridled kite, plus with the feedback you know where and what it is doing. However, like any kite if it is well beyond it's range then you are going to get lifted but with a good C you know much sooner when you are at the limits of range - unlike some bridled kites that might feel safe but are so depowered you have no control so when the shit hits the fan you are going to hit it with it!

nobby raish
Medium Poster
Local Beach: oregon
Favorite Beaches: windy ones
Style: old school
Gear: old
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby nobby raish » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:08 pm

My mantra.....

LOW and GO!!

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:20 pm

s29feb wrote:
tomatkins wrote:
unlike some bridled kites that might feel safe but are so depowered you have no control so when the shit hits the fan you are going to hit it with it!
That is because wind is what gives a kite power. Kites have trim straps not depower. Too bad most people do not know what the difference is and this is one of the reasons people get hurt. How many times do you hear people say how much depower their kite has?

nobby raish
Medium Poster
Local Beach: oregon
Favorite Beaches: windy ones
Style: old school
Gear: old

Postby nobby raish » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:32 pm

yeah,funny.

Now kites are safer....but people are not.

C-kite days,kites not as safe...yet people behaving safer.

C-kites taught us all a healthy respect for wind and it's power.

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ned Divine » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:38 am

dyyylan wrote: Don't apply your rules to everyone just because you live next to an active volcano that causes intense no thermal wind gusts to loft all your kooks.
No rules, only good intention, no volcanos, only in your temper, relax :)

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ned Divine » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:41 am

edt wrote:
Ned Divine wrote: why do most people land their kites after they stepped on solid ground and not while still in the water?
dunno bout your launch but if you do that here you will harvest 10 or 20 pounds of seaweed and spend the next hour picking it off your lines
Good point, never thought of that! :o

Return to “Kitesurfing”