Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Quick release harness it time

Forum for kitesurfers
tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Quick release harness it time

Postby tomatkins » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:40 pm

Why not keep all this discussion together in one thread?

Here is a link to the thread which was started a few years ago.

The advantage of keeping all the ideas in ONE place is that the people who have an interest in promoting and developing the device, can find all the previous REFERENCE material all in one place. By doing this, we will not have to "reinvent the wheel" each time the subject comes up.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2341745

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:31 pm

I am not sure I understand what you are asking for here Tony ?

Do you want an extra backup spreader bar release besides the QR ?

Or should it be instead of the normal QR, so you can have the bar closer to you with more power/depower range ?

Having to open two spreader bar "seat belt type" Quick Releases (one at each end) does not seem very safe, as you are in a maybe fatal and at least chocked situation - so having to activate onlyl one release would definitely be preferred.

If you release both spreader bar QR'es - you will also lose the spreader bar permanently, if you ride unhooked :roll:

I have ditched this kind of harness many years ago - as I experienced opening the spreader bar QR accidentally in mid air doing freestyle, as you just need to stroke it with you hand or arm to open it :o
THAT was kind of a nightmare for me - but succeded to get everything in place instead of having to let my kite go and get wrecked on big rocks :wink:

Anyway - back to the "Why" ?

Is it because of accidents where lines or similar has twisted around the spreader bar hook, or what ?

I dont fully understand the purpose of moving the QR to the spreader bar, as a "one hit only" till its lost (when unhooked).
Or is it a backup if everything else fails ? That could make sense - although, I fear that the "extra crap" as Dyyylan writes, would be a turnoff for most kitesurfers :(

Or do you find the current QR'es to be too unpredictable ?

:D Peter

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works
Been thanked: 0

Postby tony montana » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:12 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:I am not sure I understand what you are asking for here Tony ?

Or should it be instead of the normal QR, so you can have the bar closer to you with more power/depower range ?

Having to open two spreader bar "seat belt type" Quick Releases (one at each end) does not seem very safe, as you are in a maybe fatal and at least chocked situation - so having to activate onlyl one release would definitely be preferred.

If you release both spreader bar QR'es - you will also lose the spreader bar permanently, if you ride unhooked :roll:

I have ditched this kind of harness many years ago - as I experienced opening the spreader bar QR accidentally in mid air doing freestyle, as you just need to stroke it with you hand or arm to open it :o
THAT was kind of a nightmare for me - but succeded to get everything in place instead of having to let my kite go and get wrecked on big rocks :wink:

Is it because of accidents where lines or similar has twisted around the spreader bar hook, or what ?

I dont fully understand the purpose of moving the QR to the spreader bar, as a "one hit only" till its lost (when unhooked).
Or is it a backup if everything else fails ? That could make sense - although, I fear that the "extra crap" as Dyyylan writes, would be a turnoff for most kitesurfers :(

Backup if everything fails or if death loop,where i kite it mostly wave riding if you dont relaunch fast you qr, leash as well,if you dont want kite destroyed kite normanally floats to shore .Im sure if harness is attached it will still float to shore,couple weeks back qr and lines wraped around harness hook i was a gonner only got lines off hook,qr harness solve this problem and looping which in my opinion is the cause of most accidents,i did say harness qr should have at leasr 5 kg release pressure so no accidental releases and max release pressure 10 kg as afnor standard,i gave north qr 2008 2009 qr as example like seat belt, sure it could be attached to harness passes afnor standard and will not jam,i am convinced this harness would at least half kiting accidents,as for dylan if he had 2 years rehab like me might just have other ideas on this subject,like billy said a hospital bed is not a nice place and a coffin is even worse,so lets make this great sport safer,velvro on harness replaced by pad one side qr on harness.Tony

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Postby tony montana » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:43 pm

tony montana wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote:I am not sure I understand what you are asking for here Tony ?

Backup if everything fails or if death loop,where i kite it mostly wave riding if you dont relaunch fast you qr, leash as well,if you dont want kite destroyed kite normanally floats to shore .Im sure if harness is attached it will still float to shore,couple weeks back qr and lines wraped around harness hook i was a gonner only got lines off hook,qr harness solve this problem and looping which in my opinion is the cause of most accidents,i did say harness qr should have at leasr 5 kg release pressure so no accidental releases and max release pressure 10 kg as afnor standard,i gave north qr 2008 2009 qr as example like seat belt, sure it could be attached to harness passes afnor standard and will not jam,i am convinced this harness would at least half kiting accidents,as for dylan if he had 2 years rehab like me might just have other ideas on this subject,like billy said a hospital bed is not a nice place and a coffin is even worse,so lets make this great sport safer,velvro on harness replaced by pad one side qr on harness.Tony
Peter lets decide which would make kitesurfing safer qr harness or qr with leash,harness no death loop no danger in line wrap around bar no danger in line wrap around hook.less danger to third party being draged up beach less danger in drowning it win win.Tony

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:05 pm

Aaah, okay, now I get it.

An extra safety if your hook is tangled somehow, and the safety leash should be mounted on your spreader bar instead of your harness, so you can ditch the kite and leash fully away from you, if in real trouble :thumb:

sprockett
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ruakaka Beach, One tree point,......
Favorite Beaches: Boracay, Philippines
Gear: Nobile, Flexifoil, Sprockett Boards
Brand Affiliation: Sprockett Boards (owner)

Postby sprockett » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:50 am

My concept should not be too affected by sand (just need to keep the clearances sufficient)
you could use it as the primary release (if you ride hooked in) otherwise as an O Shit release when something goes bad.
I think I would keep my leash attached to the actual spreader bar, in case of release.
It is a true 1 handed reset unlike most other 1.5 handed reset, so if you did pop it you could reload easily.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:14 pm

Honestly I'm against any type of auto releasing harness or quick release. Sure it would make it more safe for a kiter but what about anybody down wind? Releasing a kite should be an absolute last resort and only done if there is not a crowded beach that is going to be put in danger of a run away kite.

Remember we choose to put our lives at risk in this sport, and we can die anytime we go out on the water. If you can't except that then you need need a different hobby. You should never put beach goers or anyone else in harms way for your pleasure.

tony montana
Frequent Poster

Postby tony montana » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:45 pm

TheJoe wrote:Honestly I'm against any type of auto releasing harness or quick release. Sure it would make it more safe for a kiter but what about anybody down wind? Releasing a kite should be an absolute last resort and only done if there is not a crowded beach that is going to be put in danger of a run away kite.

Remember we choose to put our lives at risk in this sport, and we can die anytime we go out on the water. If you can't except that then you need need a different hobby. You should never put beach goers or anyone else in harms way for your pleasure.
Joe i understand where your coming from but i live on a beach lots kitesurfers big waves many complete releases,never see accident because of this usually kite goes to beach to be retrived,when a kite is completely released it usually floats to shore with no drama,on the other hand i have seen kiters draged up beach kite looping death loop, causing danger to third party and themselves,and i would include other water users ,and we already have this option,only used in absolute emergencies as waist harness like leash only emergencies.Tony

WjM
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Castelldefelds Barcelona, Spain.
Malgrat de Mar, Barcelona, Spain.
Favorite Beaches: Delta del Ebro, Trabucador, Spain.
Leucate, La Franqui, France.
Dumps, Brandon Bay, Kerry, Ireland.
Style: Race board / Wave board
Gear: 2013,17,13,11,9,7m edge
2011 8m & 5m C4
Mikes lab race board, hydrofoil & 2010 kipuna
10´6 SUP (loving it on no wind days)

Postby WjM » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:01 pm

I have a similiar seat harness with the same release system but I dont think I would release the clasp in an emergency it would be fine on a waist harness but with the leg straps, potentially fatal on the seat harness! I can only imagine it getting dragged and not being able to get the harness off and loosing all control over the kite.

Good winds.

WjM...............

ben newman
Medium Poster

Postby ben newman » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:07 pm

I use this system:

http://www.mysticboarding.com/products/ ... p?pid=1669

So i have my QR and then if I am still in trouble I have an easy way to ditch the kite leash connection as well.
The red QR of the system is connected to my spreader so it's always in the same place and easy to find.

Return to “Kitesurfing”