Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Learning Directional, straps or strapless

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Learning Directional, straps or strapless

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:46 pm

KYLakeKiter wrote:Wow, those are alot of great responses. I really appreciate it.

I guess my next question (which might be better for another posting) is what is the best technique or time to transition to goofy foot? With my feet providing all the thrust for the board, I have had real difficulty switching feet. My assumption is while the kite is high in the turn, and before the board looses plane. Is that the obvious answer, or is there another way to switch forward foot without loosing the board?

I may not have to ride goofy too much. The board can pull really hard toe side, so I might not be changing foot position that often.
IMO, you should switch to goofy 50% of the time on the water, and do it NOW !

If you do it from the start, you will learn to ride really good on your naturally weaker side (goofy for you I understand - right foot forward)

If you dont do it, and learn to ride toeside only :( - you might end up NOT being able to ride waves frontside, when the wind is from port side :cry:

So the earlier you learn to jibe and ride both sides, the better :naughty:

You got a huge advantage here - ex surfers are often ruined when they change to kitesurfing, as some can not ride on both sides :o

While you have an awesome chance for getting really good in the waves on both tacks, as you have no surfing past to clutter it up.

Of course surf experience is a huge advantage for riding waves in almost every other aspect, true - except for the regular/goofy problem where you have an advantage IMO, especially if you learn from the start :thumb:

:D Peter

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby tony montana » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:00 pm

Learn both ,even mitu on big days ride straped,strapless is great in nice solid winds clean waves,straped is great in gusty winds big nasty waves,and for boosting .Tony

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:42 pm

Thanks for the advice. I will ride goofy foot (it is right forward for me) as much as possible based on your recommendation. I want to develop a skill set that will let me ride waves when I get the chance, so it is great to hear all this early in learning to ride the board. When being towed on the board, I am pretty comfortable left foot forward, so I will ride mostly right forward until it feels about the same.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:05 am

not to confuse things too much but if your natural stance is left foot forward when you go right foot forward that is not really goofy, it is switch
goofy is when your natural stance is right foot forward

as to straps, like most have said it can be really fun with or without so learn both but start without
it will give you a much better feel for things

for me:
riding very powered-up on a short board(quad) = straps
riding under-powered to comfortably powered-up on a larger board(thruster) = no straps
got to move them feet around

but play around with it and see what YOU like best

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:51 am

Thanks. I will quit using the term incorrectly. Us wakeboarders here in the sticks have been saying it wrong for a long time, but there aren't many surfers around to correct us...and when I ride right foot forward (especially on the surfboard) it is much goofier than left, so you can understand my mistake.

I think for me right now, riding powered up will = twin tip, and riding a lower wind day will = surfboard practice but hopefully I will get past that stage and eventually hit some waves.

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:44 am

To Kylakekiter,

Go Strapless and you won't regret it. That RRD board looks really easy to learn strapless and it's much much easier to start strapless and add straps (cough cough) if needed than the other way around. You'll use the straps as a crutch if you never make the commitment.

EZ, Regarding windsurf boards and kite race boards, the reason you have to use straps is you ride the fin and the boards are ridden flat or even slightly heeled to leeward (meaning the rail further away is actually pushed down a bit to get the max lift out of the fins). It's all about the fins. So if you are hiked out, you need the straps just to keep your feet on the boards and to give you control when the winds pick up. It would be interesting to see someone trend in windsurfing wave boards and loose the straps.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

SupaEZ wrote:STRAPS

Learning Windsurfing is with straps....everybody does it ...and learn to jibe...so why wimp out?

Learning Kitesurfing on race boards is with straps and everyone learns it pretty easily..and love it

Don't make them tight and narrow..so you can move / twist your feet around on your directional

Forget about what you know about snug TT straps.....make the board "feel" strapless but w/straps

You get more traction and leverage..can hold on easier to bigger kite and gives you a familiar feel

You always know where to have your feet on the board...no guessing..one less thing to think about

Just use both straps to waterstart....then take back foot once you plane...always use the front strap

Put back foot in only if you feel the need to jump....because you will...or if you need 100% traction

..................................... :surf: ...................................................................................................................

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:41 am

[quote="toyletbowl"] It would be interesting to see someone trend in windsurfing wave boards and loose the straps.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

See the Bart David stories.

http://www.windsurfingtenerife.com/inde ... ft=stories

chilidip
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach & Pier 1
Favorite Beaches: Holly Beach, Texas
Style: One handed Bucking Bronco
Gear: Slingshot REV 11m
Eclipse NaNo 6m
Brand Affiliation: None :-(
Been thanked: 0

Postby chilidip » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:26 pm

Try it with a loose front strap only and switching your feet will be much easier when learning + you can move the back foot fore and aft to trim the board. dial it in and lose the straps unless its nuking.

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:50 pm

KYLakeKiter,

If you are committed to the directional, ride it 100% of the time whatever the wind strength. Resist the temptation to swap it out for the TT just because it got windy. You will progress much faster.

Tony

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:35 pm

Use the alternate method :idea:

One session without straps.... no matter what the conditions are :wink:

Next session straps on ...no matter what the conditions are....and so on :wink:

Do not use the TT anymore :nono: ...no matter what the conditions are...let it collect dust

Discipline yourself and learn equally both surf styles at once ...if you are SERIOUS about learning

............................................................. :surf: :sun: .......................................................

Return to “Kitesurfing”