Medium Poster
Local Beach: seattle, wa
Style: freeriding
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Best gopro mount for kiting

Postby stringy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:40 am

melaquekite wrote:Agreed, None better than Jim Stringfellow's Go-Pro mounts!
hey thanks guys for the compliments!

Its appreciated.
keep checking out camrig for new stuff any day now.

Mr_Weetabix
Frequent Poster

Postby Mr_Weetabix » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:41 am

celly wrote:What are the best mounts for kiting? Im thinking the head strap for first person and the surf board mount.. What do you think/use?
Chest strap or helmet bracket for first person. The headstrap probably won't hold in a wipeout, and I don't think the floaty will work with it (unless you have the camera pointed at your feet).

I read somewhere that the wrist strap works as a strut mount - anyone tried this?

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:56 am

Are line mounts really safe? Seems like a lot could go wrong.

stringy
Medium Poster

Postby stringy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:21 pm

rightguard wrote:Are line mounts really safe? Seems like a lot could go wrong.
for the most part, I can say they are safe.
keep in mind that there is always a high risk of things going wrong when introducing foreign items (such as a gopro and line mount) to your lines.
I've made this claim in the past, but as one of the riders with the most time using the line mount, I can tell you that it has never put me or others in danger. I tend to ride more conservatively and will only use the mount in certain conditions. I will fly it alot on my 14m but will put it on my 10m. I actually don't ever use it on my 7m.
The potential risks are it could come off and you could lose your camera if it's not tethered to your lines. it could snag on a line if you lose significant tension. but when the lines are tension, it will stay in place and will not affect your riding.

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:36 pm

I almost never fly anything over an 8m... Would you not use it while trying new tricks? That's what I want to film but I do have slack lines all the time.

peet
Medium Poster
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Airush Razor / Livewire / Cypher / Wave / Vantage
Shinn ADHD
Brand Affiliation: Team rider for Airush / Shinn

Postby peet » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:59 pm

I use the line mount literally all the time, and learn and practice handlepasses with it.

It does get tangled up quite often, but only when your kite is in the water already - usually its just a steering line which has looped over the top of the gopro chassis, which is quick and simple to resolve.

I do however make sure i'm not in deep water and not in offshore conditions when doing anything which has a risk of my kite going down. Most people would take this precaution anyway.

I'll use it on any kite i own, from my 17m Turbine down to my 7m Hadlow.

dt73775
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alameda, Sherman
Gear: Bandit 4, Ozone V9

Postby dt73775 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:36 am

How do you stop the camrig from messing up the lines just before you luanch. Every time I mount the camrig , the lines get tangled when you walk back with the lines just before you luanch. I was able to get it once without tangling, but i had to lay out my lines just like i was going to luanch , but I could only do that becuase the launch area was big.

stringy
Medium Poster

Postby stringy » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:01 am

rightguard wrote:I almost never fly anything over an 8m... Would you not use it while trying new tricks? That's what I want to film but I do have slack lines all the time.
not sure where you kite or in what winds. I typically reserve flying my 7m when its blowing in the mid to upper 30's. I feel the risk of having a line mount on my lines and having to respond in a split second if something goes wrong is not worth the risk for me. as for trying new stuff with a camera on your lines, I think its fine, unless you intend on dropping your kite a lot. if this happens, it increases the risk of snagging a line due to loss of tension in lines.
dt73775 wrote:How do you stop the camrig from messing up the lines just before you luanch. Every time I mount the camrig , the lines get tangled when you walk back with the lines just before you luanch. I was able to get it once without tangling, but i had to lay out my lines just like i was going to luanch , but I could only do that becuase the launch area was big.
it's probably best to have another person helping you launch. this person can be utilized by holding the camera during the launch process.
during the winter months, I find the need to do a fair share of self launching. when I can, I will ghost launch. this is when you hook the chicken loop to a fixed object, like a fencepost or a parkbench. I will go over and put the kite on the wingtip. while it sits and waits for me to launch, I will install the line mount onto the front lines. this is one way to resolve the problem.
just so you know, very soon camrig will be offering on their website a mount plug that will eliminate snags. it will work with all of their line mounts. these work great for preventing line snags. just be patient, the first article parts are starting to make it back for review so once they have been tested, they should go into production.

Lord Brush
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan, Table View

Postby Lord Brush » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:48 am

Kitehero fin mount is probably the most robust mounting option. No way that's coming off!

The wrist mount fits on the struts of my Naish kites, but best to check beforehand whether it fits yours. They can always be extended with a bit of simple velcro....

John-B
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Troon Scotland
Favorite Beaches: Pigs Bay El Medano
Style: Having fun!
Gear: 2017 Airush Union 6/9/12 and 135 Shinn Ronson
Brand Affiliation: Airush/Shinn

Postby John-B » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:47 am

When is the V2 line mount for the GoPro going to be available to buy?

Return to “Kitesurfing”