Forum for kitesurfers
MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Freerace vs Transport vs Sector

Postby MissionMan » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:45 am

I ended up with a North Nugget instead of a freerace after following this thread for a while. Unless you're really planning to do racing, the Nugget seemed to have more of the fun factor and at this point, I don't have the time or effort to chase racing as an option.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:48 pm

Out today on the sector 54. By the end was doing transition rolls with a down loop chucked in. Catching a few small waves on the way out.

But also highly rate the nugget, depends on what you are after. Won't get the same low end, but it is really a fun board man and great in the surf. Good choice really, either one would have been awesome, again depends on what you are after.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:10 pm

Daniel_B wrote:Hi,

Sorry for the delay. I have now ridden the Transport a handful of times. Riding strapless in open sea (non-breaking) waves.

Perhaps my expectations were too high, but I didn't feel the significant improvement (compared to my old Airush Converse) that I was hoping for. Guess I was looking for better light wind, upwind and overall handling. The board has more float, so I guess that makes it a bit more difficult to edge and control in high wind.

Since nobody seems interested in buying my old Airush, I might try them side-by-side some day.

I don't mean to sound too negative. It's a nice board. Probably has better light wind. Just not the big "wow" I was hoping for.

I have not gotten a chance to ride the other two boards. Since I ride strapless, I ruled out the Sector.

Best,

Daniel

PS. Frank, I read your helpful in comments in another thread before buying.

Hi

I just re-read this thread now.

And noticed that you wanted to ride the freeraceboards strapless ???

I just thought you wanted to note that you normally ride strapless on waveboards, and certainly not that you were going strapless on these boards :roll:

As IMO it makes absolutely no sense to ride the raceboard or freeraceboard strapless :(
You will almost not gain anything in low end at all without straps, and the downsides are HUGE with these boards, compared to something a little more "wavelike" but big sized/wide and flat rocker.
Whereas with straps, you can go in way less wind than strapless, and way more upwind, in marginal conditions :thumb:

It is the whole point with these boards - that you can ride them with "light" tail for getting going (lifting with your rear foot) and pushing on the fins when full speed over chop/waves :naughty:

Sorry for my misunderstanding - it is just so far away to ride these raceboards strapless, that it never crossed my mind you wanted to do that on the boards :wink:
They will feel stiff and odd and no "good feeling"....
Possible yes - but IMO way more fun and awesome feel on a big flat/fast fish waveboard or similar :rollgrin:

Even when riding waves with these boards - I find strapped is much better and almost a "must" because you have to push the flat wide tail very very different than a waveboard in the cutback.

And not being able to jump in light wind, takes a huge part of the pleasure and fun away IMO.

Whereas strapless is just perfect on a fish waveboard f.ex, or any waveboard 8)

:D Peter

PS: Please dont "lynch" me for saying above - as I've read about 1 or 2 using these strapless.
It is just, you only use a fraction of what these specific boards are capable of - if no straps are used :-? No advantages at all strapless, like on waveboards...
And other boards feel much better strapless, and much "smoother" because of better more fluid/softer edges .

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:07 am

I'll second Peter Frank on using straps with freerace boards.

Personally, I never warmed up to the half baked efforts from North and Cab to capture some of the market from Airush Sector. If one is of a heavier stature, these smaller boards will not show the low wind potential until mastered and ridden efficiently. Sector 60 is so popular because it will improve one's light wind riding ability very first time out.

These boards are used strapless often, but to me it is like paddling wave SUP board on the flat water - a good exercise, not much more than that. It is when you experiment with loading up the board/fins, torquing it thru foot straps you'll get the most out of it. These critters like to go fast, if you are in bad chop and strapless, you'll either slow down or get thrown off (unless you are 250 lbs bloke). Lean into those straps, load up kite and you'll be flying on the crest of the chop.

If you ride it like a surfboard..... well it will ride like a surfboard

goddles
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby goddles » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:15 am

DONT GET THE TRANSPORT
reason: replacement fins are not available.
havent been able to use my transport for 3 months!!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:55 am

Find myself wanting a directional of some sort - no real idea what I need - for dealing with the choppy crap between the waves and the swells we get at the ocean beach (bit of a shock after the butter-flat water of Thailand!) and general light wind cruising...

North Nugget has me interested - or should I not give up on the Sector?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:06 am

goddles wrote:DONT GET THE TRANSPORT
reason: replacement fins are not available.
havent been able to use my transport for 3 months!!
Ahem - you are joking, right ?

They use standard future fins, and surfsize - so possible to get lots of fins in ANY surfshop :naughty:

Future, together with FCS (the worst fin system IMO) is the most used worldwide.

I swear to Future, way better 8)
Although a very tiny fin box for a raceboard like board - but the Cab board uses quite small fins so no problem.

Even if the Transport fins should be a bit different profiled, you can still just buy some surf fins for your Transport, they cost nothing compared to race fins - and get on the water right away :thumb:

If you havent been surfing, you could not know of course :(

What a shame you have been "grounded" for no reason - hope you find new fins today so you can get on the water.

http://www.futuresfins.com/

Daniel_B
Rare Poster

Postby Daniel_B » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:47 am

I was also disappointed that Cabrinha doesn't offer replacement fins. As you can see from the photo above, the fin shape is a bit unusual. I have not been able to find anything similar that fits (Futures).

Also noticed that the top coat (paint) easily sheds flakes. I obviously bumped the board a bit, but it would be better to get a scratch or dent.

The Transport has disappeared from the Cabrinha website, so I guess it has been discontinued after only one year. That will probably hurt the second hand value.

The Transport was advertised as designed for strapless riding. Most of the board is covered with a deck pad.

Frank, so you are saying that a board like the North Nugget will give better low end when riding strapless? Looks like it also has more floatation and a rounded edge. Would be interesting to understand how these board differ.

I understand that keeping the board flat and ride against the fins will make it faster. Might try riding strapped some day.

Daniel

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:23 pm

Did you like the transport despite the quality issue with the paint?

I've got the '11 cabrinha raceboard and that thing seems pretty indestructable after a year of riding a few times a week. Just some scrapes in the gelcoat.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:50 pm

Hmm, sorry if I was wrong about the fins - those you show on your picture looks VERY special and long (for a future fin, not for a race fin) !

But when I took a look at the first ad I could find for the Transport to see the fins, I saw some very regular surf fins :wink:

http://www.powerkiteshop.com/cabrinha_transport.htm

Seems small though - but they were the ones shown as "Transport" fins...

So now I dont know what to believe ?

Are there different finsets ?
Or are the link showing the wrong fins ?

Sorry if I have been mistaken - I have never seen the transport here, but I knew they were using future fin box'es - just not what size/outline.

Return to “Kitesurfing”