Rare Poster
Local Beach: greece
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

chaos cabrinha

Postby papdanai8 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:37 am

hi there
has anyone riden chaos cabrinha , any feedback and is it worth it to change from
SB 2011 to chaos ??? i know that they are 2 totally different kites but anyhow some news for the chaos ........thanks

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Re: chaos cabrinha

Postby SSK » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:56 pm

is it worth it to change from SB 2011 to chaos
I doubt anyone could answer that without knowing what you like riding and what conditions you ride in. The two kites are meant for very different things and ride very differently. SB is a wakestyle freeride where the Chaos is the freestyle C kite. However, I can tell you if you like your SB, but wished it turned significantly better, had much less bar pressure, relaunched much easier, and drifted better then try the 2013s. In previous years the changes to the Switchblades were minor tweaks, this year the changes are very significant. They kept all the good things SBs are knonwn for - stability, power, large wind range, boost - and fixed the shortcomings - turning, bar pressure, relaunch.

papdanai8
Rare Poster
Local Beach: greece

Postby papdanai8 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:14 pm

thanks for the info is there anyone out there for chaos kites
has anyone got any news for the kite ???

25knot+
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Jupiter
Gorge
Second beach
Key West flats
Mattunuck
Gilgo
Tobay
Great South Bay
CT
Style: wake/freestyle
Gear: Kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: Shop affiliated. Choose to ride Cabrinha.

Postby 25knot+ » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:54 pm

Yeah... definitely wish there was more info out there on this kite. I've got a quiver coming in the next week or so and will try to get some photos and a review up.

In the meantime, can anyone offer some unbiased riding impressions?

Jdizzle
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Marazion and Gwithian
Favorite Beaches: Marazion
Style: Bebinner
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby Jdizzle » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:55 pm

SSK wrote:
is it worth it to change from SB 2011 to chaos
I doubt anyone could answer that without knowing what you like riding and what conditions you ride in. The two kites are meant for very different things and ride very differently. SB is a wakestyle freeride where the Chaos is the freestyle C kite. However, I can tell you if you like your SB, but wished it turned significantly better, had much less bar pressure, relaunched much easier, and drifted better then try the 2013s. In previous years the changes to the Switchblades were minor tweaks, this year the changes are very significant. They kept all the good things SBs are knonwn for - stability, power, large wind range, boost - and fixed the shortcomings - turning, bar pressure, relaunch.
The Chaos is not a C kite. It's just another slightly more C shaped, bridled, bow kite, with pulleys.

If you want the closest feeling to a C kite with a bridle, then the C4 simply cannot be beat. However, I used to think that the C4 had a C feeling, until I bought a Fuel, and soon realised that it 'aint no C kite!'

After owning a Fuel for a while, I quickly learned that there really isn't anything scary or unsafe about them AT ALL! All this bridled C business is just marketing hype. I am by no means a freestyle expert, but can really feel and appreciate the increased performance of the Fuel over the C4. I will never go back to bridled kites for freestyle and kite loops. The feeling of a 4 line, direct connect C kite is unmatched, no amount of bridles or pulleys can achieve the same effect.

People really need to try modern C kites, you'll be surprised by how safe you'll feel on them. In my opinion, a 4 line Fuel is safer than any bridled kite, as it's next to impossible to get caught in a death loop. It can be rolled in a wave 10 times followed by releasing the safety, reengaging the safety and flown inside out without getting you in a death loop!

So, what I'm getting at is... F***K the Chaos. The kite will suck balls compared to a REAL C KITE :lol:

AlexandreBorges
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Jericoacoara (CE) and São Luís (MA)
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (CE) and São Luís (MA)
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow 2010

Postby AlexandreBorges » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:17 pm

I tested all 2013 cabrinha quiver.
Chaos was the one liked least. If you're not for freestyle than get away from it. It's not a kite for downwind..

It requires you to work a lot to get you the amount of power of a Switchblade, so there is no point comparing both. Chaos is a C kite to get you kitelooping upwind and them lift and wait your trick not boosting in excess like a bow kite when unhook.

I felt it doesn't pull like a drifter when at 45 degrees, and pivot longer than I thought it shall unless you are kitelooping. I have to say I could relaunch it fairly easy several times.

If you are for a smater kite than a switchblade than try a Drifter. For me the best kite in 2013 (Cabrinha's).

Well, I chose a Switchblade 12 2013 as my main kite due its all around.
I felt it's pulling less then previous 2012, but turning faster and drifting better. (more wake feeling)
Were I to buy another, than I'd go for a drifter 9 or 11.

25knot+
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Jupiter
Gorge
Second beach
Key West flats
Mattunuck
Gilgo
Tobay
Great South Bay
CT
Style: wake/freestyle
Gear: Kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: Shop affiliated. Choose to ride Cabrinha.

Postby 25knot+ » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:57 pm

Dizzle, I hear you, but have you actually ridden the kite, or are your just all fired up about your fuels and the C4? I had fuels for many years, and I generally agree with you, but I don't think that all bridled kites will "suck balls" compared to c-kites. I do agree that that all C's are just as safe as any other kite, and in the waves, even more so.

Alexandre, I read your earlier post, but I don't know what you mean by "not a kite for downwind." It shouldn't carry downwind like the drifter; otherwise it would be a shit kite for freestyle! If you mentioned your riding style and what tricks you're pulling, that would help give some context to your review. I've ridden the drifter, and while I really like the kite, I couldn't see using it for an everyday freestyle kite and unhooks; there's just no slack!

Thanks

AlexandreBorges
Frequent Poster

Postby AlexandreBorges » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:24 pm

25knot+ wrote: Alexandre, I read your earlier post, but I don't know what you mean by "not a kite for downwind." It shouldn't carry downwind like the drifter; otherwise it would be a shit kite for freestyle! If you mentioned your riding style and what tricks you're pulling, that would help give some context to your review. I've ridden the drifter, and while I really like the kite, I couldn't see using it for an everyday freestyle kite and unhooks; there's just no slack!

Thanks
Well, the guy who post this thread mentioned moving from a Switchblade to a Chaos. So I have to tell him it's not a kite for downwind, there is no comparison between them other than get you going, unless you downwind kitelooping your Chaos.

I'm for freeride and wave. So I can't help with freestyle, other than reviewing about technical aspects expected to that style. I believe you are right saying slack is the most important aspect when talking about a C kite.

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:35 pm

Alex,

How is the Drifter in the bigger sizes? 11m or 13m?

Tony

AlexandreBorges
Frequent Poster

Postby AlexandreBorges » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:44 pm

Tony wrote:Alex,

How is the Drifter in the bigger sizes? 11m or 13m?

Tony
I read somewhere (aussy forum maybe) a quote about how spetacular a Drifter 9 would be and about not recommending bigger sizes. Hmm, I could not test #9, but i was very happy with size 11.
To tell you the truth it was the best Cabrinha kite I tested for 2013, just made my day.
I decided for a Switchblade 12 just because it is more all around and with a large wind spectrum (got to open hand on something).

I could really test a Drifter 11 for 30 km long downwind with flat water and wave sections (small waves up to 1,5m). I really enjoyed its drifting capability, and I mean it, tried to stall it and could not. (by the bar ~ 20 - 25 knots)
It is impressive how I could have fun in waves while it was there waiting for me, and if all of a sudden I'd lose power it was a matter of pointing at it and send it kitelooping. Kitelooping it was easier than the Chaos.

Drifter 2013 has a very responsive bar and power at 45 degrees. I'd buy this one as a second kite or were I with money to apply on a funnier kite.

Other day I could test this very 11 on a lighter wind condition (15 ~ 20 knots). It kept turning fast and drifting, but had a sensible power loss than the switchblade. So had to work harder, but without problems due to bar pressure and speed.

I'd say test it before deciding for Cabrinha model you decide to pick. (talking about Cabrinha guys, not comparing to other world kites)

Return to “Kitesurfing”