Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Wainmann vs. other freestyle kites?? Help please

Postby jespin4845 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:32 am

wainmans boost really high, but you come down fast if you dont fly it right, i learned on wainmans, and kept the smaller ones, got a bow kite for lighter winds...they have a fun aspect that other kites dont have, nothing like being lit on the 7.5 and looking down, and whiping that kite across from the window

if you want hang time though look elsewhere

average rider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Omaezaki, Chiba
Favorite Beaches: The windy ones with clean waves and no people
Style: waves
Gear: RRD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby average rider » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:37 am

Totally agree with jespin4845 - I had a lot of fun with these kites for a few years.
Only exception for me was the 12m boss - I hated it, but maybe the kites in the last few years are better. Up to 9m however they are a lot of fun, not supposed to be good for jumping but they actually are....but better kites out there for hang time.

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:41 am

average rider wrote:Only exception for me was the 12m boss - I hated it, ...
the Boss was my favorite kite for years. to each his own. the only thing that demoted the Boss for me was the introduction of the Punch.

NEkitesurfing
Frequent Poster

Postby NEkitesurfing » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:05 am

Wainman kites are fun to fly and very versatile. If your are looking for a modern freestyle kite than try the new P-Series from Mutiny. The P-Series is really a big step forward in modern kite design and makes me smile after a session. You won't see it on the first sight but you have to try them. Don't expect something similar to Rabbit kites but I'm sure you'll like them.

kitenaked
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Island - NorCal
Area 51
Style: not naked
Brand Affiliation: Kite Naked, JN Kites, Cabrinha, Shinn & Wainman

Postby kitenaked » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:40 am

I have found the 2012's are a bit more friendly for jumping as well as more floaty than the previous two version (2009 & 2010-11).

If you want a little more height and float, move the bridle to the upwind setting. The 12 & 14.5 are really nice jumpers now. 14.5 is incredibly stable, lots more friendly than the orginal 15m and lets you down oh so nice after a jump.

10.5 Punch is in a league of its own. It is part of the range of rabbits, but has a different personality than the 9 & 12's... i am still getting used to it...

The smaller rabbits need a little more active flying on the way down, but great kites.

Jdizzle
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Marazion and Gwithian
Favorite Beaches: Marazion
Style: Bebinner
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby Jdizzle » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:38 am

I can't stand delta bucket kites. For me, they represent everything you wouldn't want for a freestyle kite. They drag you down wind like no tomorrow, loop like shit and back stall to buggery!

I demoed a 12m Boss and absolutely hated it. I really don't understand how it can be marketed as a freestyle kite? Complete crap in my opinion. But each to their own :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”