Forum for kitesurfers
MorFos
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tough choice - Drifter or Rally??

Postby MorFos » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:06 pm

Within the next week I'm buying a new kite size 7 or 8 square meters, and you get to decide, which one I'm buying :wink:

I have narrowed the choice down to two posibilities: Cabrinha Drifter 2012 or Slingshot Rally 2012.

I'm looking for a kite, that will behave good both as a freeride and wavekite. I have been kitesurfing for 5-6 years but are a beginner when it comes to waveriding. When a write "good" I mean: Easy to use/plug-and-play, esay to control, easy to relaunch.

So which one am I going to order? I can get the Rally slightly cheaper than the Drifter, but it's not much, så the price is not the issue 8)

At the moment I have a Cabrinha Swithblade 2012 size 12 and a Cabrinha Nomad 2010 size 9. I absolutely love my Switchblade, but I think it will be to much to handle in the smaller sizes (especially when it comes to waveriding). The Nomad I have never really liked that much :-?

Best regards

Morten

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Re: Tough choice - Drifter or Rally??

Postby knotwindy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:37 am

they are both really good kites, either will work for what you want
plug and play, control, relaunch

the Drifter makes a slightly more arced power turn
the Rally makes a slightly more quick pivot turn

they both have good control, they both jump well
the Rally might relaunch a bit faster

but really not much difference for a wave beginner

have fun, go fast, take chances

YOU LOVE IT Kiteshop
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Dutch Seaside, Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: El Medano
Tarifa
Kite Village Hamata
Gear: Cabrinha Naish RRD Core Spleene Carved NPX Neill Pryde Pat Love
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha Naish RRD Core Spleene Carved NPX Neill Pryde Pat Love

Postby YOU LOVE IT Kiteshop » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:47 pm

We still have 2012 Cabrinha Drifter in stock:

http://www.you-love-it.eu/shop/article_ ... fter.5o%26

Enjoy!

Gerrit

www.you-love-it.eu

TonyL
Medium Poster

Postby TonyL » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:03 pm

I have a 2013 12m rally and like it a lot - stable and great boostig. I have not ridden a drifter but what I have been told is it is a great surf kite - not a jumper. I have switchblades and love the boosting. I would ask more opinions on the drifter from a jumping perspective

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:39 pm

Where do you ride and what type of conditions? What percentage of the time are you on flat water vs waves. The reason I ask would determine what kite. I am not familiar with the Rally so someone else will have to comment, but I think these two are pretty different and it might be an apples to oranges comparison. The Drifter is really a pure wave kite and is great. Super stable, easy relaunch, never backstalls, drifts down the line, turns smoothly. However, in flat water it is a little boring especially if you are used to Switchblades. It does not boost, hang, or give you the power of the SB. If you are in the Ocean 75% of the time or more then what you give up on flat water is worth it. If you are split your time 50-50 you may be happier with the Vector. It is very similar to the Drifter especially in the smaller sizes for ocean riding. It has even easier relaunch, and it is a little more fun on flat water. If you spend less than 50% of you time on the Ocean then consider the new 2013 Switchblades. These turn, relaunch, and drift much better than previous SBs and are much better in the surf. A 2013 8M SB will seem much much more manegable than your 12m. For flat water the SB is much better performance and more fun than the Drifter or Vector. One thing the Drifter comes in 7,9, 11 and no 8. A 7 Drifter is a pretty small kite for flatwater riding. Not sure where you ride but for flat water I would be on a 7 Drifter around 30. A 9 Drifter probably rides in the same wind range as a 8 SB, a 7 Drifter would be similar to a 6 SB.

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:13 pm

Are you absolutely married to those 2 brands?

The reason I ask, is cause there are a few cool wave oriented kites that will work well for freeriding too.

I used to ride Switchblades, and I like them a lot, but as I got more and more into the waves I wanted something quicker, so I did some research, and I personally went with the Switch Methods, they really are awesome kites, but the main thing is bar pressure, but if you're used to the SBs is about the same, perhaps a bit more.

But you've got the Wainmans, it was on my list. And I'm a huge Flexifoil fan, so I tried the Proton, very nice kite, and the Method was a bit quicker, seems that the proton has a bit more low end, but not by much.

I'm also intrigued about the Blade Trigger, which sounds like an awesome all round kite, supposed to be super quick and a ton of range, I'm demoing one this weekend.

I originally wanted a drifter, honestly, mainly cause its cabrinha, and I wanted a trouble free kite, I know the overall quality, etc... but I ened up going with switch, cause I liked what I read, spoke with some former switch team members, and although they weren't with switch anymore liked the kite and had good things to say. And I liked they're principle, they're business model rocks, and I couldn't be happier with its performance. I take it out in flat water and boosts pretty good, just doesn't glide as a bow kite. And when freestyling (basic stuff, no Hadlow) very good.

The drifter I hear is a slower turning kite, like a BWS, I've never tried one so don't quote me on that. I tried a Rally down in Isla Morada, and is a killer kite too, the only think I didn't liked was the bar pressure, way too light for my taste.

The Method V2 is coming out in a few weeks (I think), and offer adjustable bar pressure (I hear), so It would be very promising. Is honestly a killer kite. Go out and demo stuff, the best way to find what works best for you.

Thanks god there are options out there, good luck!

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:12 am

Let us know how the blade trigger goes, been interested in this kite to.

What about the REO? Best wave kite I've ever tried...or even the new airush wave?

Are you sure these are the only two in consideration?

g0nz0
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Calshot, Lepe, Poole, Meon, Hillhead
Gear: Slingshot Rally, Naish Momentum, Custom surfboard, Skimboards
Brand Affiliation: 24-7 Boardsports employee & shop rider

Postby g0nz0 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:51 pm

Hey Morten, did you get a kite yet? If you're still after a 2012 Rally 8m I have them on a special clearance offer at the minute.

http://www.24-7boardsports.com/categori ... fer-Kites/

Cheers

Dan 24-7

KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa Bay area
Brand Affiliation: School owner,Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Kiteboarding Association
Freak Dog Kites

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:14 pm

I have the 2013 Slingshot Rallys to teach on this year and only have a couple of sessions on them so far. I wish the turning speed was faster, but it's incredibly stable, good power, and predictable. I will report more on them when I get some better winds.

I recently gave 3 lessons to a guy on his shiny new 12m Drifter and all I can say is has been horrible. The kite will not relaunch in lighter winds, and I tried holding in various amounts of rear line,, kite depowered, kite powered, sheeted in/out and it would not get up on a wingtip at all. I figured I could do a c-kite relaunch with it- as soon as it started to go onto its back, it lifted off the water and inverted the lines.
It will relaunch in higher winds, but you have to pull the rear line hard and hold it for a while to get it to turn over. I can't even imagine dropping that kite in the waves and trying to relaunch.

I can now see why they call it the Drifter- because you will be drifting out in the ocean if it hits the water. :lol:
I like to thank to my local shop for selling my student a crap kite before he even got his lessons.
You guys ROCK! :thumb:

www.kiteboardingtampabay.com
www.kitesurfingtampa.com

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:45 pm

test out a drifter, load up the rail for some wake/freestyle pop then try and boost some big jumps and report back. only know 2nd hand info so far..

Return to “Kitesurfing”